Hi,

I come from another world to seek your advice. Other than Google and that type of search engines, and Overture and the rest of the PPC search engines, what other means of getting traffic have been successful for you?

The other world that I come from is Adult. I know the SE and PPC methods, and in Adult, there are other ways of getting traffic. But I'm trying to get out of most of my Adult stuff, so I'm looking for advice on the mainstream side of the net.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Ken

Something worth trying is MarketBanker on F'dCompany - $95 buys you a text link for a week and should generate a couple of thousand clickthroughs.

Keep an eye on humor sites too.. they can often be a crossover point between Adult and Non-Adult sites. Check out the Open Directory listings. Oh, you know about the ODP's hidden dark side do you?

(Aside.. I get the #1 ranking on Google for an umm adult ummm equine related term. Hmmm.)

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I know the SE and PPC methods, and in Adult, there are other ways of getting traffic<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Why don't you share with us these other ways as well...

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

Dynamoo, thanks for the tip on F'd Company. I'll check it out. Yes, I do know about Dmoz and that has worked well for me.

Joseph Monuit, what I meant about getting traffic for adult sites is posting on TGPs, LinkLists, AVS sites, PicPosts, etc. These are there for the main purpose of gererating traffic. There's really nothing to share since everyone in adult knows about that stuff. And on those type of traffic generators, you have to post free "content" in order to get the surfer interested and then hopefully to your site or sponsor.

Obviously, in the mainstream area, there isn't free "content" to post like there is in adult. At least I don't know of any. Maybe there is, and that's what I need to learn about this side of the net.

Thanks to both of you for the response.

Sure there is...

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    Ken,

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what you meant. TGP's are great..well.. for some... Not being the adult biz persay I don't know how much ROI there is on TGP's ..but...

Anyway, thanks again for your response.

Affiliate traffic is SE generated, or, having a "sticky" "branded" site with loyal visitors... I guess.......

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

Hi FFoc,

Glad to have your thoughts on this too.

And you are correct. I understand what you are saying. I am familiar with your site because I'm pretty sure you posted it on the Amazon "Show us your site" post over on their board. The content that you are providing is information, in your case I believe Fords and interesting things about them. And from that you try to direct surfers to your money making sponsors. You've got a very nice "niche" site. My question was more of once you have the site built, where besides the SEs and PPCs that I mentioned, do you post it, or list it or submit it, to drive traffic to it? That's the part I need to figure out on the mainstream side of the net.

Like in your case, are there Auto enthusiasts boards or lists where you can post your site so that like minded people can find it? Are there Ford lover lists or link sites? That type of stuff.

Joseph, I'm glad to get your input again. Actually, TGP traffic is very poor conversion wise. But it's traffic and there are ways to filter it to some extent. Maybe send them to a "FREE P*ORN" site where you make $1.00 per email address. Link List traffic is better, but again, you have to filter it to match the interests of the surfer. In my opinion, almost all traffic is good to some extent. You just have to figure out what's best to do with it.

FFoc has a great site for Ford and auto lovers. But it's not very good for someone looking for cookbooks. But I'm sure that he knows that and you do too. I'm just trying to find some of the mainstream traffic pumps.

Of course you can't beat free Google traffic and the other free search engines.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Thanks for yours.

Ken

The sort of crossover sites that I was thinking of are like Morty's Twisted World which is under the ODP category Bizarre Humor.

But the bottom line is that free is always good.. and maybe the trick is to give the Googlebot what it wants, which means a combination of basic SEO and decent PageRank.

I guess the key thing is, what are your average earnings per visitor? How much can you afford to spend to get decent traffic?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Walton:
    My question was more of once you have the site built, where besides the SEs and PPCs that I mentioned, do you post it, or list it or submit it, to drive traffic to it? That's the part I need to figure out on the mainstream side of the net.

Like in your case, are there Auto enthusiasts boards or lists where you can post your site so that like minded people can find it? Are there Ford lover lists or link sites? That type of stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Exactly - When I first started out, I submitted to all the big SEs and directories, then looked at their listings for like sites...

I went through and found ones with "add your link" sections and added to all I could find.

I also added my url to my sigs on the other boards, etc..

And my "Sure there is" comment was specifically referring to the "there's no free content to entice users" comment..

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

Good link trades are not to be ignored. I have two sites that bring in more than 8,000 uniques daily from link trades alone.

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

Hi Gabe,

Wow, 8,000 per day from link trades is great. I've done link trades but haven't done what well with them. Your seccess inspires me to do more and better ones. Thanks.

I checked out your url to 1lovecards.com. A very nice site!! I have a free ecard site that I've had for well over a year, and like a dummy, I haven't done anything with it. I bought it on eBay, but at the time, I wasn't ready to promote it and eventually I just let it site idle. When I decided to get back to mainstream sites, I decided to get it out of moth balls. My site is www.freelovenotes.com. It needs work and new sponsors and banners and a complete refurbishing.

Since I bought my site on eBay, it came pre-loaded with the cards that are on it now. But I would like to change them and/or add others.

I'm looking for a source for new cards. Would you be willing to share where you get the cards that you use on your site? I wouldn't use any of the same cards that you have, but I would like to find a source for new cards.

Any help that you can provide would be appreciated. And if you don't want to say where you get them, I would understand.

Thanks,

Ken

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread