I have changed my mind about PayPal. PayPal is no good because if you get
    even one chargeback on a single account, they freeze all your funds for 35
    to 75 days!! Even funds for orders that have nothing to do with the disputed
    transaction. That means orders could be coming in and I would not have
    access to the funds to complete the.

If I do a thousand orders at some point at least one of those would
    inevitably produce a chargeback and all would be destroyed using PayPal.

IBill charges 15% plus they hold 10% in reserve for six months in case you
    go out of business and leave them holding the bag. On top of that, they
    still charge you $15.00 for a charge back.Starting my own merchant account would be cost prohibitive for a site just
    starting.

Ideas??

SSanford

Have you considered 2checkout.com? I've only used them as a customer, but have been pleased. I checked out their site and they seem to offer a pretty good program.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> IBill charges 15% plus they hold 10% in reserve for six months in case you
    go out of business and leave them holding the bag. On top of that, they
    still charge you $15.00 for a charge back.Starting my own merchant account would be cost prohibitive for a site just
    starting.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been a long time since I've researched this but AFAIK that is fairly standard when using a 3rd party processor.

But check out CCnow.com also... I seem to remember looking into them and they weren't so bad, plus they provide a certain amount of customer service to the customer. I've used them as a customer and was very pleased.

CCNow Fees and terms

{

Stuff that makes me go, "huh?"

I agree with 7-day about 2checkout.com. They are pretty good. I haven't used them as a customer, but I use them from the point of view of a merchant. People to my site can buy advertising and so far it has been pretty good. I have charged about $2000 or so with them and had 1 charge back which cost me $29. They have changed their system now though so there are a lot less chargebacks. Good luck.

"If you don't make mistakes, you aren't really trying" - Coleman Hawkins

Thank you. I will check into them all. If anyone knows of others, please tell me what you know, too.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Ssanf,
    2checkout has my vote too...I use them, especially for the fraud detection..we take steps to stop fraud before it even gets to the order form, but the occasional one that slips through 2checkout does a great job of stopping it (I still recieve the oder from our own system, but no receipt from 2checkout)...Until you are ready to go with your own merchant account, I would recommend 2checkout.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    I've set up a couple of ecommerce sites with worldpay ( www.worldpay.com ) - more expensive than 2Checkout and requires a little more knowledge in setting it up; but you can bill in three currencies (ie: US dollars, Sterling and Euros or Canadian dollars, Zlotys and Roubles if you prefer) which is a good feature. They are backed by a big UK bank (forget which one - could be NatWest) and the backend is very stable. I like them a lot - if you are delivering worldwide, the option of buying in your own currency is far more reassuring and should mean more sales.

You will need to have a compatible shopping cart, as otherwise the integration is an absolute nightmare, as I know all too well.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I've used CCNow at one point and was very satisified with them. In fact, I think my account is still active as a back up just in case something was to go wrong with my gateway or merchant account I could just switch out my order page. At they time, they were about the only game in town for 3rd party processors. There also seems to be many ABW members who use 2checkout and seem to be pleased with them.

$15 is actually cheap for a chargeback fee. Regular merchant accounts charge $25 to $35. I've processed thousands of orders and have only had one chargeback. The customer said they didn't get their order and didn't even contact me. I sent the bank card folks a copy of the delivery tracking showing it was shipped and delivered and they reversed it. Although, I don't sell products that someone who is using a fraudalent card is likely to go out and buy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I vote for 2checkout as well. Getting a full merchant account does not absolve you from all the chargeback hassle. You still get funds frozen, you still get money taken out - you still pay.

REMEMBER - Always have the funds desposited into one account and then move them to another bank account. ALWAYS. If you are doing any amount of money, trust me, the extra $9 a month for the bank account is the best insurance you will ever buy.

Chet

2checkout gets a thumbs up from me too.

They even go to the trouble of phoning potential credit card frauds. Saved me a couple of hundred dollars up to now. Well worth the little bit extra for the peace of mind.

Just trying to make an honest buck

I have to say that I look at these all in one services and I cringe when I see the commissions they charge. Paypal has decent commissions, but their service is crap. I keep looking back at these guys for the convenience, but when it gets down to it, I always return to the option of the full merchant account. For as little as 2% and $0.20 per transaction plus $20-50 in monthly fees, you can get a real professional account. If you're generating few sales, by all means stick with 2checkout or paypal. If you're really running up sales, the jump to a full merchant account is a big step forward. Dave

Everyone's recommending 2checkout & well their good.
    Just had to say that if you're selling above 40$ items, Revecom.com are cheaper & they're just as good if not better !

Cheers, RR.
    *** [http://HolyTraffic.com] ::: 40% off for ABW members.
    *** [http://ceFORUMS.com] ::: CashEvolution Forums

ABW Ambassador
    Do any of these services mentioned, besides PayPal, offer subscription services? I see 2checkout offers recurring charges, but how would you recommend setting up a subscription-based password-protected site? One more thing, do they all have a sign-up fee like 2checkout? I don't want to drop $50 on top of domain & hosting if my idea is a flop...& I wouldn't want to use it on another site just to sell decals for a few bucks...paypal is fine for that...
    [edit]
    ok, after looking at 2checkout a little more, I do see they offer a free member administration script...anyone use it?
    [/edit]

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

[This message was edited by Celicaphile on September 06, 2002 at 12:34 PM.]

I use the subscription feature in Revecom & it works well !
    HTH

Cheers, RR.
    *** [http://HolyTraffic.com] ::: 40% off for ABW members.
    *** [http://ceFORUMS.com] ::: CashEvolution Forums

ABW Ambassador
    I tried setting up an acct at 2checkout & got the following message:

: Credit Card Authorization Failed(1)!
    : Reason for Failure:Approved

wtf?? I know all of the info is correct, but my card didn't have the bank's toll free # on the back, so maybe that's it. Anyhow, I submitted a ticket & 2 days later, still no response..guess nobody's around on the weekends or after the holiday...I hope that's not what my customers could expect if I went w/ them...

Then I find out about ProPay.com. I know Mary Kay (cosmetics) uses them & I'm sure they do millions in sales...their rates seem really competitive ($35/yr, 3.5%+$.35/transaction, $15 chargeback), so now I'm considering them (but still also debating revecom.com)...does anybody have any knowledge of or experience with ProPay?
    I see that they don't offer a shopping cart of any kind & I don't see any mentioning of subscription services...
    Does revecom.com offer a free shopping cart? I didn't see anything about one...I do like the idea of being able to offer a trial period w/ the recurring billing...
    Thanks!

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    2checkout has been having issues recently...they say most are resolved. We had problems with recurring billing, but that has been fixed. It has been a major PITA.

TH Media-Web Solutions For The Small Business
    Check Out The TH Media Affiliate Program

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the heads up...
    so, what's up w/ propay & revecom?

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    I use esellerate for credit card orders. Take a flat 10% fee and allow transactions as low as $5. As far as I can see they have not charged my for a chargeback (I have only had one in a year).

www.esellerate.net

They are superb. I worked with KAGI before but costs of chargebacks and commissions got too high.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    No offence, but why pay 10% when all these other companies charge between 3.5% and 5.5%?

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celicaphile:
    No offence, but why pay 10% when all these other companies charge between 3.5% and 5.5%?

http://www.suprazone.com | http://www.toyotacelicas.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoted from the above:

2% and $0.20 per transaction plus $20-50 in monthly fees

if you're selling above 40$ items, Revecom.com are cheaper

do they all have a sign-up fee like 2checkout? I don't want to drop $50

$35/yr, 3.5%+$.35/transaction, $15 chargeback

Seems a lot of them have hidden costs [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I dont pay for chargeback (I don't think), I have no monthly or yearly fee, I have a $5 transaction minimum, I dont pay a set amount of money on top of my % for the transaction.

eSellerate may not suit everyone, but for what I sell, they are great.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    I'm getting more & more upset w/ 2checkout.com... I submitted a support ticket, but I can't check it w/out the link they provided. Even w/ the ticket ID and Ticket Key, there's no way to log in via their site. I scoured their site for a phone number, but couldn't find one. I did a whois search on 2checkout.com and called that number...guess what? It's no good!! I'm really not happy about this...

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    ok, I really need suggestions about a merchant (under 6% of transaction). 2checkout.com takes to long too respond, doesn't care, and looks more & more like a company I would never want to work with. If they can't process my card & tell me to use paypal, what are they going to tell my customers?!? what's the point if they're just going to be directed to paypal anyway? this company is a F'in joke!
    So, propay? revecom?
    This crap w/ 2checkout has put me a week behind schedule w/ my new site...I'm not happy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]
    Thanks everyone!

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    3 days later and no response to one of my support tickets on 2CheckOut.com. (and it's been 6 days after my initial support ticket w/ no real resolution).

If anybody has experience w/ revecom.com, please let me know. So far, they're looking to be the best choice, but I trust and value everybody's opinions here, so any feedback would be appreciated [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Also, if you're a merchant with 2CheckOut.com I would strongly suggest you rethink this. They've proven to me that they simply don't care... At least contact 2Checkout.com and let them know that you're concerned about this.

Supras | Celicas

ABW Ambassador
    This has become a conversation with myself, but I don't care...maybe someone will think it's useful...

I contacted revecom.com, aka paysystems.com at midnight last night to check their response time & received a reply this afternoon. Not bad... They even included a .pdf file with more information about their company. Their site claims 24/7 support and advertises their phone number. This is in stark contrast to 2CheckOut.com.

On another note, I did finally receive a reply from 2CheckOut.com, but it was full of excuses for their problems, i.e. new staff being trained, employees out due to illness, crossed phone lines, a "major processor switch". I don't believe in excuses, I don't give them, I don't accept them. Valid reasons, on the other hand, are an entirely different story. I don't feel these are valid reasons for them not to reply to support tickets for several days. They have a business to run & they are doing a very poor job of it. period.

Supras | Celicas

Anybody else willing to suggest/recommend a credit card processing company. 2Checkout look good but they seemed to have had a lot of problems recently. Have these problems been resolved.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread