Limit the descriptions suggestion
    hello!

you know what would be great? if you could somehow limit the # of characters that are in a product to show up in the autofeed. some products have very little while some have a paragraph's worth so it makes the alignment a bit funky and less professional looking.

thanks!

That is a great idea! I bet you there is a way, I hope.

I know I have a couple products that have very long descriptions and I had to change them around in my store, because like you said it looks funky.

I sort of like this idea but it always seems to cut off words in the middle and that looks really unprofessional on a site. Even cutting at the end of a word won't work as it will cut off part of a sentence. I wish there could be a way to do it neatly.

Sue.

do it by # of words and then add in a "...." after the last word should fix that.

Yep or a "read more" bold link would work also.

I like the idea of a "read more" or "more info" link.

Agreed completely. I'm finding it difficult to do some page setups with autofeeds when all of a sudden a secondary page has a product with a massive description.. sorta drenches that page with a dose of ugly.

That's an excellent idea - if we could set the number of characters in the description string that would be nice. Right now I'm eliminating the description entirely and just using the title because of this. Even some of the titles are really long though with the variants, like colors, all strung together without spaces - great for breaking templates! Ugh.

Indeed, and titles can't be edited. Besides, if we edit descriptions by hand, that works great - for the front page. Autofeed descs, on the other hand, become pot luck! If the choice were to use the first X words, then that could be followed by a text of our own choosing, like the SEO rules allow to be set up... (creeps closer to PopShops nirvana with each wondrous change).

This was an October 2007 idea. Any chance this can become a reality (pretty please)?

It's in and works beautifully.

You can find this in the style editor. You can also now edit background color of the cells.

Jessie

Yes, it works great, it's one of the main reasons I decided to upgrade my acct. It makes pages look good again...now, if we could only get a text-align: justify; I suppose I could pull out the css and fix it there, but I don't want all the text to justify. Not complaining, just adding to the wish list. I am very happy with the latest improvements; the redirects help a lot too. Pages are pretty.

Now if we could get this into the long and dragged out titles that hose up the width of my columns!!!

I'd love to have the products click over to a product detail page while staying at the site. Then have a buy now button that takes user to merchant site. That would be the ultimate!

I agree with shopsat24seven. I sense some downfalls and pitfalls, but in concept, it's a dream result.

To really dream up a wish for descriptions AND overbearing titles: shorten them to fit the width of columns pretty, then have a mouseover link that inserts a DHTML widget like netflix.com or some search engines which expands those terms to full size. For those of us that have a site looking like we sell the items before the customer wishes to buy, this would be the ultimate and I don't think would be impossible to implement.

if i can ever get past the target=_blank problem i was going to attempt a full page preview idea, but targeting and frames is making it difficult.......will post if any successes

You can shorten the titles and descriptions, you can completely rewrite the descriptions if you want. Just click on them in the "Customize" window.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread