Conroe, Woodcrest or Dual Xeon?
    I'm shopping around for a new dedicated server. I'd like at least 2gb of ram that can be bumped up to 4gb for a reasonable price. I'm currently with ThePlanet and will most likely continue with them. I just can't decide if I should go with another Dual Xeon or get a Woodcrest or Conroe. The nice thing about the Woodcrest is they allow up to 16gb of memory (only 4gb on Dual Xeon). What do you recommend?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I'm running dual, dual core Woodcrest 5150's in my data warehouse, with 8 GB of RAM. I can honestly say I couldn't have developed my price comparison site without at least that much power. This is the machine that chugs through my datafeeds, matching prices with my known inventory.

That being said, I kick myself every day for not going SCSI when I setup my RAID. I just couldn't stomach the extra 1,500 bucks at the time. My feed crunching and ROI calculations are definitely IO bound.... Maybe If I went to 64 bit MySQL. Then I would get more than 2 GB allocated to the database??? I guess that goes on my todo list...

My web server is just an older dual xeon with 4GB of RAM. I haven't really stressed it out at all, but then I don't get more than 20 requests a second, at least not yet!
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I should mention that my data warehouse does a lot more than just match prices... At any one time I will be processing feeds, calculating ROI, researching keywords, building a dynamic taxonomy, and compiling code. This goes on 24x7...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Sounds like a great setup you have there isell. I know what you mean about the ram. I couldn't do price comparison without at least 4gb. I'd really love to see what I can do with 8gb. That's the main reason I want to go with a Woodcrest. So you're saying mysql will only store up to 2gb of data in memory at any time?

Also, are you displaying cached data from your web server or do you query your mysql database on the 8gb server dynamically?

- Scott

Dual Xeon was the best they offered when I got my servers. I would probably go with something even better if I were doing it again today.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    So you're saying mysql will only store up to 2gb of data in memory at any time?
    I don't really understand how the memory is being allocated. I do know that I haven't been able to tweak my 32 bit install of MySQL to allow it to use more than 2 GB of RAM. I've always just assumed that the memory space available to 32 bit processes was limited and they way around it would be to run the 64 bit version of MySQL. BTW, this is on Windows Professional 64-bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Also, are you displaying cached data from your web server or do you query your mysql database on the 8gb server dynamically?
    - Scott
    My webserver has a copy of my MySQL database. When I roll out a load balancer, I intend to let each web server keep a copy of my database. I also use an in memory cache for some things. (like prices)

So, I installed a bunch of Windows security updates and rebooted my server today after letting it run for about 5 months.... Yeah, it blue screened and never came back! I think I lost the drive...

So, seeing as how I'm rebuilding my server now, I took the opportunity to upgrade my hardware... I'm now going to be running on

Intel Xeon Quad-Core E5345 2.33 GHz
    Dual 250 GB SATA RAID1 HDDs
    4GB DDR2-667 ECC RAM

So on one hand I'm really, really bummed that my site is going to be down for awhile as this server gets rolled out. On the other hand, I'm thankful that it happened now and that I'm going to have the Raid 1 and quad processors going into Christmas.

Snib, if you need more power on one machine, go with a heavy-duty box. If you need more power for multiple needs (i.e. not connected with each other), you might prefer to reduce risk a bit by spreading things out over two or more machines of lighter weight.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to bump this but with all the techies, what would an average eCommerce site consume in terms of bandwidth?

Would 50GB/month be sufficient?

Eric, I think you are going to need to do some calculations based on the average size of your pages and your expected traffic levels. If you serve up your own product images, then your bandwidth needs are going to increase quite a bit. If you turn on gzip compression, then you can have a large savings. If you have an informational site that happens to make it to the first page on Google, Digg, or Slashdot, then you are going to burn through a lot of bandwidth. If you have tens of thousands of pages on your site, then search engine spiders will eat up a lot of bandwidth as they crawl your site.

Here's what I think.... Make sure your overage charges aren't outrageous and make sure you can upgrade to a higher level of bandwidth without breaking the bank, then buy whatever amount you calculated you will need "for now". I pay 10 cents per Gb overage at my current host, but my last host charged 3 dollars! I also have burstable bandwidth now but before it was metered.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Thanks IsellStuff. I was looking over a proposal that I got and they are asking for $5/gb on anything above 50GB/month. Ouch...

Thanks once again for your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Thanks IsellStuff. I was looking over a proposal that I got and they are asking for $5/gb on anything above 50GB/month. Ouch...

Thanks once again for your insight!
    Wow, only 50gb? That sounds like a cheap shared host.

- Scott

...and a lot per GB overage, too.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Anyway, I ended up going with a Conroe for my new server. So far it's great and the load is very steady. Just loving it.

- Scott

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread