Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    How do I get my computer to shut up? (Firefox, I think)
    Wasn't sure what to call this topic, but that seems to fit my general feeling at the moment. I think Firefox is just being a $%#$%# for me lately.

It seems at least once a minute (Okay, can be less than that at times, but it seems like it!), my computers drive will start spinning, and I won't be able to do anything with Firefox until it has stopped. Won't type, go back, scroll, etc.

When this happens, CPU usage just jump up a little too, for Firefox.

I do, have quite a few tabs open in it, but I never use to have this problem.. so does anyone have any idea how to stop it? I have looked around on google in the past, but never found anything that seemed right. Sorry if I just missed it.

Sometimes it does seem fine, but others.. it'll just keep doing it, doing it.. gonna throw the comp out the window soon if it keeps this up, lol.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Do you have the latest Firefox? Do you have any addons installed? Like Digg or stumbleupon, seo firefox?

Is disk indexing still turned on with your computer? You might want to research that. I always turn it off on any machine I touch. It is annoying.

But I think the problem is Firefox, an addon, or a ummm virus or something. Any installed toolbars?

I would check my machine for Firefox updates, windows updates and check for any malware or viruses.

Good Luck and keep us posted on more details about your machine.

ABW Ambassador
    No addons, I did a virus scan and spyware scan, nothing. Although this was with AOL's security center. Know if it's crap? LOL

No tool bars either.

What's disk indexing? I'm all for trying to turn that off, if it could be causing this.

Also been quite a while since I defragged, could that be an issue? Only seems to be with Firefox though.

Thanks for the reply!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Did you install anything or change anything before this stated?
    Personally, I would try reinstalling Firefox. Uninstall then install.

I have a similar problem myself. For no apparent reason, Firefox will just occasionally "hang" or "freeze" for anything from 5-10 seconds. If I'm typing something, the cursor will simply stop moving even as I continue typing, then restart 5-10 seconds later.

It started when I updated Firefox to the latest (2.0.0.7, I think?) version.

I tried all their forum suggestions, I uninstalled and deleted my Firefox profile, then reinstalled. I ran Firefox with NO addons, no extra themes, no nothing.

Still does it.

Personally, I think something's goofy with the newest version. But that's just my suspicion. (BTW -- it just did the "hang" thing as I was typing "just my..." for about 5 seconds.)

Sorry I have no good news or suggestions. Just wanted you to know you're not alone with Firefox woes, though I haven't noticed the increased CPU usage myself.
    Generate more fake news.

Tax Paying Member
    Very Interesting......

I have had the same problem, exept my problem has grown.
    Not sure if it is related, but my computer got to the point of
    being difficult to boot....I mean that every 3 or 4 times of turning the machine on, it would not boot up. It seemed not to recognize the windows XP on these occassions.

When it did boot there were times when the HD would work like a mad man.

Now I am to the point where the machine will not boot at all. I get notes about a possible HD failure. It will run long enough for me to see that my files are still on the HD but not long enough for me to run diagnostics.

I really did not relate my problem to FF, but the similarities are amazing. As soon as I find some time, I plan to get an "expert" to take a look at my HD.

Definition::Expert is the local shade tree HD mechanic.......
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

use IE or Opera or some other browser for a while and see if it still happens.

Nobody mentioned how much memory they have. I have 512 and that wears thin later in the morning when I have a lot of apps open. I'm betting that FF is not the real problem.

It might be the ads on the open pages reloading, or automatic page refreshes (to show more ads). Try an adblocker.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I have a similar problem myself. For no apparent reason, Firefox will just occasionally "hang" or "freeze" for anything from 5-10 seconds. If I'm typing something, the cursor will simply stop moving even as I continue typing, then restart 5-10 seconds later.

It started when I updated Firefox to the latest (2.0.0.7, I think?) version.

I tried all their forum suggestions, I uninstalled and deleted my Firefox profile, then reinstalled. I ran Firefox with NO addons, no extra themes, no nothing.

Still does it.

Personally, I think something's goofy with the newest version. But that's just my suspicion.
    Mine does the same thing, I have also did all their suggestions and nothing helped. I also suspect there is something with the newest version, I never had problems until I updated.

It mostly seems to happen when I have multiple tabs open like everyone else has had. I think it's something they know about, I just wish they work hurry up and patch it. Because I hate IE!

I agree, something not quite right with the most recent version. My problems seem to arise when I leave Firefox open overnight. I tend to leave my computer on and leave firefox up. After about 24 hours, it gets unresponsive and I usually end up killing it in the Task Manager and re-starting.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks y'all for the replies.

So, sounds like I'm in the same boat as some of you. The new update just has problems? Hopefully they release a fit at some point. Guess I should try using IE (Ewww!) and seeing if the problem goes away too, lol.

bumpaw, which kind of memory? But I think since I've never had this problem before, it wouldn't be a memory problem, I'd imagine.

Bumpaw hit on it, sometimes it's a back to the future type thing. With multi-gig memory and multi hundred gigabyte hard drives sometimes we forgot to keep up with some of the old time basics.

Upgrade memory, the best money you can spend to improve performance.
    Defrag that monster hard drive, even today systems use the good ol' swap disk, make sure it's allocated enough space if you've tweaked it.

Of course scan for bugs and other nasty things, clear your cache occasionally and generally keep in mind all those things we had to do in the past with lower performance machines regardless of how new or old yours is.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I have a similar problem myself. For no apparent reason, Firefox will just occasionally "hang" or "freeze" for anything from 5-10 seconds.
    Nobody mentioned how much memory they have. I have 512 and that wears thin later in the morning when I have a lot of apps open. I'm betting that FF is not the real problem.
    bumpaw, which kind of memory? But I think since I've never had this problem before, it wouldn't be a memory problem, I'd imagine.
    Well, I too have had to deal with a similar problem once in awhile, when I least expected, my screen would "hang" or "freeze" anywhere from just a few seconds, to for ever, so I sometimes I have to close all the windows in order to get back to work. And on some occasions, only a reboot would get me back the controls.

Btw, when (hell) my screen has frozen over, I am able to receive emails, load a CD and play music or a video, but I just can't move the mouse or type anything.

I think all this freezing thing started to happening to my computer at the end of last year, but since I no longer like to keep tab on bad days exact date, I just don't remember the exact day.

So I am glad to see this thread, because now I know that even tho I had replaced my mouse and my keyboard, added more memory, deleted a lot of old files and defragged the HD, having the computer "on" only while I am at it, using IE, and not using an adblocker, all I can think now is that, only Mack must have the right answer:
    It might be the ads on the open pages reloading, or automatic page refreshes (to show more ads). Try an adblocker.
    I'm about to agree 98% with that, because without incriminating any site's ads, I was already leaning to that conclusion, because while I have only being blocking some site's cookies, so far have not used any adblocker yet.

I just ran a simple test for an hour on using the task manager. I opend a boatload of tabs in multiple windows, then closed them all except one.

My mem usage is still at 355Mb for just the Firefox process, with 1 tab open. I opened a new window and it went up. So it's not releasing resources.

One thing to note, the more addons you use, the more memory you use.

You mean you guys didn't know that Firefox was a resource hog? Thats one of the biggest flaws Firefox has, but its one that they have yet to bother to fix becuase they figure you can easily close it and open it again.

I've had the same problem, but was told by geeky friends it was imagination. I stopped using it after about a month of problems. On a new computer I have, I also get a spinning motor sound then the blue screen and shut down. It's supposed to have something to do w/ the mbios (??) and the intel Celeron D being to new for the... (hmm..next time I'll print it)..
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    You mean you guys didn't know that Firefox was a resource hog? Thats one of the biggest flaws Firefox has, but its one that they have yet to bother to fix becuase they figure you can easily close it and open it again.
    I actually have heard about that, but never had any real problems with it until more recently. So there is nothing that can be done?

I'm using about 240 to 250 mb of memory with it right now. And when I get a hang up, seems Mem usuage may not spike, but CPU does, up to about 13. With nothing else taking up CPU, seems odd that'd cause a hang up.

Is there a better browser out there? IE is supposed to be insecure and not sure how I like Opera.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

http and a telephoto
    Is it on a Vista machine or XP? or a mac, lol. If it's on a vista machine, well, vista is a pig. I haven't had many problems since going back to XP.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    XP.

DL'ed safari, and hurray! No more hang ups, no more disk drive running, but.. it seems the text is bolded or something? Kinda hurts my eyes.

But it was definitely firefox, since problems are gone now.

Edit: Yeah.. the text is smaller and bolded. Made the text bigger, but the bolding of it all, even typing in to post to the boards, just seems to hurt my eyes or something.

Edit: Yeah.. the text is smaller and bolded. Made the text bigger, but the bolding of it all, even typing in to post to the boards, just seems to hurt my eyes or something.
    Life is all about trade offs.

ABW Ambassador
    That doesn't help the problem. :P

Searching around, seemed that just how Safari is, despite not having bold set in the preferences. In gmail, where they bold unread mail, there barely is a difference now. So, seems I'm stuck infecting my computer with IE or using Opera.

Thanks all for the help.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I got that too with Safari, post #3:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ghlight=safari

So I have it just to see what my sites look like in it but never use it for everyday use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast