I sincerely hope that no ABWers were taken in by the Topsites.us scam doing the rounds, which is preying on people listed in the Open Directory.

Those of you who are ODP listed but haven't been spammed by them yet, check out this article.

Those of you who already know about it, you might be amused to type "topsites.us" or "topsitez.us" into Google and see who comes up first

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    nice.

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I got the email and it ended up with all the rest of the con games spam. When I saw it was time to renew yet it was going to cost me....hit the delete button. Bet this person scams lots of people unfortunatly

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Should I save and wallpaper a room with the Topsitez.us and cloned site special e-mail offerings? Why doesn't OPD just sue the bastard or does he roam the country in a motorhome with no real address.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

There's a rumour that the AOL Time Warner legal department are aware of it.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

They've now threatened legal action against me for "libel".. I got this email today:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From: "Paul" &lt;paul@topsites.us&gt;
    Subject: Legal Action
    Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 19:44:27 -0800

You are publishing libelous statements about our company on your website under reviews . Could you please be so kind as to remove them immediately? The URL is: http://www.dynamoo.com/diary/topsites_topsitez_us.htm. Failure to do so will result in legal action to collect damages.

We don t mind fair comments. But these libelous statements are made by people who have obviously never used--or even understand--our service.

Kind Regards,
    Paul Thomas<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a look at the site and made a couple of minor amendements, and emailed back:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Mr White,

Thank you for your comments. The content has been amended to remove any possible confusion. Should you have any issues with the content as it now stands would you be so kind as to clarify any errors of fact.

Regards,
    Conrad Longmore
    dynamoo.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm prepared to let him point out any factual errors, but the next step is to insist he communicate purely through legal channels. Of course, I'm the the UK (as are my host) and he's in the US so any action he does want to take would be extremely difficult for him. Even so, it's rather worrying.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

No worries, dynamoo. The guy is bluffing with his lawsuit.... Ignore him.

Gabe
    www.1lovecards.com

I got another one:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From: "Paul" &lt;paul@topsites.us&gt;
    Subject: RE: TopSites Tool
    Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 17:18:30 -0800

Dear Conrad,

I assume you are trying to help people. I can respect that. After all there are a lot of scams out there.

Based on your response to our letter, I guess we didn t do a very good job of explaining what we are selling. So would you permit me to try again?

We are selling one million advertising impressions delivered on our Internet Explorer AutoSearch tool for $5 a month. That advertising would cost your readers at least $40,000 to purchase on other search services like MSN and Altavista. We also include a listing in our web directory at www.topsites.us at no extra charge.

Please feel free to download the tool and try it out. It s at http://topsites.us/downloads/topsites.exe. Once you ve tested the tool, feel free to criticize it. Perhaps we can learn from you and improve it.

If you have any questions about the TopSites AutoSearch tool, please do ask. I will be happy to help in any way I can.

Kind Regards,

Paul Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess the Toolbar is some sort of parasite but I'm not sure what. I'll try and find a sacrificial PC later for it.

Essentially, he's saying that it's a driver to the Toolbar, not the directory.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread