Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Price Comparison Sites
    How have you all done with price comparison sites in general? I know a lot of you focus on niche content sites that then target specific products to that audience. But how many have tried and succeeded with well designed, highly focused price and product comparison sites?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Highly focused, niche ones seem to have potential. there's so many broad based ones that it'd be hard to get a foothold in there unless you somehow offered something those other places can't, or if you have enough of your own traffic you can turn on to it.

Also, be aware that Google Adwords recently made a negative statement about comparison engines:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2007/09/...w-landing.html

I interpret this as saying, you must provide a quality user experience with lots of original content in order to advertise with us. Just showing a bunch of prices won't cut it anymore.

Showing a healthy mix of prices does help drive conversions. Showing a healthy mix of prices can also lower your affiliate commissions. For instance, I am showing Walmart right now to give a range of price choices to my visitors. Walmart has brand name recognition and will result in sales, even if they don't have the lowest prices. Walmart commissions suck...

Now... There is a lot of money to be made via comparison shopping. I just keep wondering if there isn't an easier way...
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    i love comparison sites, but i try to make my projects less about price, instead centering around other types of comparisons... features, looks, associative properties, style, availability, niche needs, accessories and more...

my comparison sites aren't really engines at all, becuz they're not just price crunching machines. but for the product or need i'm focused on, they fulfill the shopping needs of a fair enough portion of the visitors that i target.

I have been doing pretty decent with my comparison site, but I also offer more to my customer than just the price and description. The more you can offer to your visitor, the better.

ABW Ambassador
    Google couldn't even really compete with their broad based comparison site, Froogle. Back when it came out some people went overboard calling it the Affiliate Killer but now it's gone and just redirects to Google Products.

So don't think you'll have too much luck with a broad based comparison site, maybe if you focused on a niche or as an addition to one of your sites, you might have better luck.

Mine is costing me an arm and a leg (thanks to the server horsepower required to crunch and manage all the numbers) and hardly generates a sale -- even though I genuinely think it is a very well built site w/a unique feature or two. In fact, I keep meaning to post a thread here asking for help & advice....

I tend to agree with the above. If you have a very broad site, look who your up against. Businesses with BIG DEEP pockets. I've tried the broad approach, mostly as an experiment, to see where it will go. I view it as a long-term experiment.

Niche seems like the way to go. In this case, a price comparison component seems like a helpful thing to add to a site. I don't see why not.

I am using jellyfish.com . They are a pay per sale program. Not too many sales from them. They did do a "smack shopping" on one of my products that did sell quite a few. They have a unique concept for both the consumer and the merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by portalplanet
    I am using jellyfish.com . They are a pay per sale program. Not too many sales from them. They did do a "smack shopping" on one of my products that did sell quite a few. They have a unique concept for both the consumer and the merchant.
    Typical cash back shopping site, maybe a little more advance on the comparison side. Nothing really unique except that Microsoft just bought it.

Wonder what the folks at Microsoft have in mind with buying a cash back affiliate site....
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thanks for the update knight01. I really do need to visit their home page more often. I didn't know microsoft bought them. I guess it's a wait and see game now. Maybe I'm slow to this but I didn't know there were other sites like jellyfish that paid users like that. I still have alot of funds in my jellyfish account (you pre-pay) and I would like to use them quick and get some sales!

I think price comparison is great for increasing conversions, but it doesn't increase stickiness as much as you'd hope. Customers have seen enough price comparison sites to know they're nothing special (despite the high technical barrier to entry). With sites like Pricegrabber and Shopping.com distributing their prices through their affiliate channels comparison sites have become the status quo.

Now not only do we need to have price comparison to maximize conversions, we need something special on top to increase stickiness and garner press.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Price comparison is great, however if you want to stand out from the crowd, foccus on a niche and then do a price comparison on your niche

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    Price comparison is great, however if you want to stand out from the crowd, foccus on a niche and then do a price comparison on your niche
    Jason - I tend to agree with your comment, though I'm just getting the hang of this...

Question: Does your niche (with or without price comparison) need to be on it's own url? Or can you run several niche sites (almost like modules) from one main URL.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by purdue512
    Jason - I tend to agree with your comment, though I'm just getting the hang of this...

Question: Does your niche (with or without price comparison) need to be on it's own url? Or can you run several niche sites (almost like modules) from one main URL.

Thx
    If you had several niches on a single site I wouldn't really consider it a niche site. They have to be their own self-contained sites IMO.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    If you had several niches on a single site I wouldn't really consider it a niche site. They have to be their own self-contained sites IMO.
    Scott, what about sub domains as niches? You don't feel that a sub domain is a quasi-niche?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Scott, what about sub domains as niches? You don't feel that a sub domain is a quasi-niche?
    I guess it depends on how you link it up. If it's got its own navigation and it doesn't connect with the other subdomains it could be standalone. But why not use a real domain? Using a subdomain as a stand alone site hasn't been popular since the 90's.

- Scott

You're right, it's no big thing to do the full domain. Just a little more expense and set-up. I'm considering something on a fairly big scale, which is why I asked. If it worked at all, I could see selling it to others as well. Again - this would be much easier if it was on a single domain for set-up and admin....

I guess the heart of my question is around if the definition of a "niche site" is really about SEO or more about human browsing behavior... If it's SEO, I could see there being a benefit from stand-alone domains. It's my impression that Google tries to determine the overall theme (as defined by keyword lists) at the domain level. Not sure this would work as well at the sub-domain level. If it's more about human browsing behavior, I'm not sure the issue is relevant as long as the nav is thought-through (as you mention).

Would love some other reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue512
    You're right, it's no big thing to do the full domain. Just a little more expense and set-up. I'm considering something on a fairly big scale, which is why I asked. If it worked at all, I could see selling it to others as well. Again - this would be much easier if it was on a single domain for set-up and admin....

Would love some other reactions.
    Well, I run a broad comparison engine with 10's of millions of products. I started it because I liked the technical challenges. Its a huge full time job... Datafeeds and product web services have product noise in them. (e.g. mismatched products, products with no images, out of stock products, misspelled product names, duplicate products, 3rd party product listings, etc) This noise kills relevancy. Sometimes the best way to deal with noise is manual intervention.

When you build a broad comparison engine with lots of products, it is physically impossible to manually tweak your database to provide the best results. When you do a niche comparison site, you can tweak to your hearts content. This gives you an advantage over the big shopping sites....
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Interesting... You are right. At a large scale, it's all automation. I agree, I like the technical challenge too.

On your site, do you sell physical products also or just earn revenue from price comparison and then send the user to an affiliate link?

My site is mostly affiliate, with some PPC.

Cool.

Looking back, are you glad you went this way? Or do you wish you had done a series of more focused niche sites instead?

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I guess it depends on how you link it up. If it's got its own navigation and it doesn't connect with the other subdomains it could be standalone. But why not use a real domain? Using a subdomain as a stand alone site hasn't been popular since the 90's.

- Scott
    I use to be the king of subdomains, it worked in 2004 however the se's have caught on, and no longer is recommended. Just look at craigs list ,they use to use subdomains and have switched to 2nd level directories. so you should use different domains

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread