Redundant Sales in multiple networks
    We have a program in SAS and in CJ. 2 times over the past month I've had sales come through both networks for the same transaction (1 customer to our service, but recorded sales in both CJ and SAS for that 1 customer). Any idea what is happening here?

Anyone ever experience this?

THNX

Phil Andrews
    Affiliate Program Manager

http and a telephoto
    Yes Phil, when you are on multiple networks this will happen. There was a discussion recently about this in the Shareasale forum. You as a merchant need to have systems in place to be sure the correct affiliate gets credit for the sale. It is one of the reasons that being on more than one network might not be a good idea.

The customer visited two sites and set cookies for them both. Your shopping cart picked up both cookies when the sale completed.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    wondering to myself, if just as the visitor was about to buy, if the CJ one popped via adware or bho...

in cases like these, when the merchant doesn't understand how the particular affs are "producing" sales... how are we to trust that they'll credit the right affiliate...

our test purchases won't catch this...

AffiliateFairPlay testing would...

Suggest you pay both affs for now, and join AFP so you can begin to learn to understand how and why this is likely happening.

Donuts,

Good points...fair points...I see where you are coming from. Yes we are crediting both affiliates, who both fairly earned the sale.

We have been working and communicating with the affiliates involved for about 6 months, so there is a relationship there...and no fraud/adware detected from them...

I am aware how cookies and affiliate sales happen, moreso I am looking for solutions from other affiliate managers that have worked in this situation, specifically coding on the pixel. Any ideas out there? Any case studies to share.

Will be heading into AFP as recommended,

Thanks!

Phil Andrews
    Affiliate Program Manager

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehphil
    We have been working and communicating with the affiliates involved for about 6 months, so there is a relationship there...and no fraud/adware detected from them...
    Will be heading into AFP as recommended
    Smart move. Things are not always what they seem to be.

I am aware how cookies and affiliate sales happen, moreso I am looking for solutions from other affiliate managers that have worked in this situation, specifically coding on the pixel. Any ideas out there? Any case studies to share.
    There are some OPMs here who can help you, but unlikely in a public setting. It's a sensitive area to discuss, as it should be. Getting it right is important, no critical, to your reputation. Try contacting a few privately or try posting in the affiliate manager's forum. You might also chat with SAS about how to use their phone tracking's ssaid into an implemented scheme you'd be interested in. Because the same cheaters that want to rip you off, also want to know how you've coded / accomplished this, I urge you to take this conversation offline. Know that it can be done, but affiliates might be the wrong folks to ask.

But remember this caveat... if you're not understanding your affiliates methods (one way to gain understanding is top learn at afp), what you're doing will automate the deduping process... automating it or manually doing it CAN lead to cheaters poaching, the added danger in a programmed solution is the out-of-site, out-of-mind reference it puts the merchant in... if you're not observing the frequency (and tactics) of your affs you are most often involved in over-writes (or dual plants, for lack of a better word), you're turning a blind eye to one of the easiest ways to spot affiliate fraud. The automation itself isn't bad, it's the "never look at who's deduping other affs" that comes from an automated approach that will lead to not observe certain behaviors. Build some reporting into your deduping if you automate it.

PM me for anything further here, I prefer this discussion not be in the open. Careful who you trust in sharing your methods and implementation... i'd say a good place to start would be SAS staff members, they can be trusted, in my opinion, because they've proved that to me hundreds and hundreds of times...

one last thought, follow the logic here, it's important... if anyone pitches you a javascript solution, remember that placing one line of javascript, for google analytics, on a site's pages allows a great deal of information to be intercepted and delivered to the third party... think that over as you craft your specific dedupe solution...

Good luck.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread