CJ requesting W9 form
    I received an email from CJ requesting W9 form. I wonder if anyone received this.

I already have my SS# and address on file for the last two years. They never asked me for this before. ... made me wonder.

Anyway, i just faxed over.

I got one too, even though I've been with CJ for four years.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I got one too a couple of weeks ago, been at CJ since 2001. Think it's just something they have to do every now and then. Had to do one for SAS last year sometime too. At first I didn't know if it was real but also got it in the CJ mail, should be listed from - Client Services.

So just mailed them one.

I got this too.

I keep a PDF of my scanned in W9 and email it in whenever I get asked. No fuss, no muss.

I got a request recently, too. I've been with CJ since 1999 and they've had my tax details the entire time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Here's the thead from when SAS needed it from last year:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...&highlight=irs

I guess it's something they're required to have. Always was confused with this and the Paperwork Reduction Act, how that worked with this? But not a big deal.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I am very hesitant to fax or especially email sensitive information such as this. I mailed mine in.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I gave 'em a hard time

You already have mine - if you want another, just mail one to me (like EVERY company in America does) and I'll fill it out and mail it back

Their typical unhelpful response was:

There's no law saying WE have to supply you with one. Find one on your own and mail it back

Reports are across the board they have been asking. I know of at least 20 publishers that got asked this last month for theirs (some on file others not).

I have to provide it for 3 accounts, one of which I had on file for at least 4-5 years. So I am not sure what they are doing or why, but it doesn't take much effort to fax over a one page form.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Unless you have to drive to Kinkos to access a fax machine

I had a bit of a fiasco concerning this earlier this year. They requested mine in January and I faxed it to them not long after. Then when June or July rolled around they stopped paying me and told me they'll hold all my checks until I fax my W9. Turns out they lost it. So I faxed another copy and it took them a month to process it thus missing out on two payments in a row. They told me there's no way to confirm they received it so keep your fingers crossed and maybe send multiple copies just to be sure.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Maybe they are paying a commission on your taxes??

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I need to send mine too.

Face it, they lost our records. And this is the type of info useful for an identity thief to set up shop. Hopefully, the records were destroyed and not stolen.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I got a little more insight today about why CJ might be requesting some w9 forms again.

Seems that if your payout name doesn't match the w9 form then CJ needs you to FIX that (they don't bother e-mailing you this exact information until you contact them directly). The payee name need to match the company/person listed on the w9 form.

Never has this been a problem before that I am aware of but that is one excuse a rep told me today.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    I got a little more insight today about why CJ might be requesting some w9 forms again.

Seems that if your payout name doesn't match the w9 form then CJ needs you to FIX that (they don't bother e-mailing you this exact information until you contact them directly). The payee name need to match the company/person listed on the w9 form.

Never has this been a problem before that I am aware of but that is one excuse a rep told me today.
    Mine matches and they still asked for the form.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Actually, I think they probably just want to confirm the information they have on file is current, consistent with their previous records. Many places do this in offline biz, so I would not be overly concerned.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Actually, I think they probably just want to confirm the information they have on file is current, consistent with their previous records. Many places do this in offline biz, so I would not be overly concerned.
    Unless they say "We didn't receive it - we're not paying you this month."

I just had a similar request from an indie with whom I do a LOT of business (and have since 2001). Every so often they need to update their records. However, this is a company that seems to go that "extra mile" for their affiliates. They had a secure form online and accepted an "electronic" signature to meet the W-9 requirement.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Yip it's getting to the end of the year, and this is when companies have to get ready to send out 1099s. At Worldwide Brands, we handle our own W9/1099 processing, so we’re always working with our affiliates to get the latest information on their 1099s. Requesting for a W9 is not abnormal. As a merchant, we have to send affiliates a 1099 at the end of the year. In order to complete a 1099, a W9 form is required to be filled out by the individual/independent contractor. By federal law, any company paying independent contractors who earn over $600 for the year is required to file 1099s. Some companies will make part of the sign up process to automatically fill out W9’s. Others are different. We, for example, provide a W9 form for our affiliates to fill out once their annual commissions have exceeded $200.00. We also require an updated W9 form to be submitted when ever there are any changes so that we always have the correct information. Here is a link if a W9 form is not provided to you; http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf. There’s also more information available on the irs.gov site about W9’s and 1099s. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Mine matches and they still asked for the form.
    I didn't say it was the WHOLE reason for their asking. It's one of the reasons.

I also received a request, but when I went to the IRS site, it said the w9 has been pulled and not to use the earlier september one due to errors. New forms are to be posted by 10/22. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

What a pain. I am going to forget to go back. I just know it.

Quote Originally Posted by soccermom
    I also received a request, but when I went to the IRS site, it said the w9 has been pulled and not to use the earlier september one due to errors. New forms are to be posted by 10/22. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

What a pain. I am going to forget to go back. I just know it.
    So everyone from whom CJ requested W9s, and who used that link to get the form, have submitted an incorrect form. I can just see the new emails telling us we have to re-submit the corrected form.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread