Web hosting that will credit your own hosting??
    Had been seriously thinking of going with 1&1 since I had thought they were to be very good but some of your comments here have been scaring me. From what I've read, they're not real current thoughts, tho... so not sure if people still think of them the same way or not???? Current thoughts on them would be very much appreciated

Probably living in never never land thinking this is possible. lol but would like to be able to receive credit for initial purchase from hosting company. I know you all say not to scrimp on cheap hosting...but honestly can't afford the real higher priced ones. Ideally...umm under $7.00 a month would be very nice. (yea, I know...so stop laughing at me. )

Naturally downtime's important and especially tech support. I'm with Godaddy now and is infuriating me to have to pay for their phone support. So, definitely free support's important.

I know one got recommended to me that seemed really nice but I evidently don't receive credit for my own purchase and had a hard time finding out the answer so kinda ifffy on that one.

Any opinions would be very greatly appreciated.

I had a great experience with Lunarpages, and regret ever switching from them last year.

They've always done a good job of continually improving their services, and their tech support is fast and excellent.

My next hosting purchase will definitely be with them, and they do credit you for your own affiliate purchases.

I haven't had any major problems with 1&1.

I pay for 1&1's services but I don't affiliate with them, so all I can say is that they'd most likely credit you for any affiliate purchases, but it's unlikely that you would obtain a "starter credit" if that's what you have in mind.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks very much Rick for giving me your opinioin. Appreciate it very much. I had forgotten about them til you mentioned them. A while back my niece, who's a teacher had wanted me to make her a web site and I found out they give them to teachers for free (not sure if that's still the case) and found out they would give credit for own affiliate links at that time. Forgot all about it tho since back then I wasn't looking to change hosts and she still hasn't made her mind up about the site. lol

Have heard quite a few good things about them here, too and then I'll find some negatives. lol Going crazy reading all the comments, just when I think everything sounds great with one....somebody says something bad.

Got a question for ya. Do you use any of the (definitely am tech challenged lol so probably won't have the words correct.)php rss stuff for coupons or product displays at AvantLink or Linshare?? Do you have any problem with them working at Lunarpages?

Thanks very much Rhia 7
    yeap, for the initial web host purchase they will credit you from your own affiliate link. Have a question for you. Do you have any problems with the php rss stuff working with them (am using FrontPage, not sure if that matters)
    Last edited by purplebear; October 14th, 2007 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    Thanks very much Rhia 7
    yeap, for the initial web host purchase they will credit you from your own affiliate link. Have a question for you. Do you have any problems with the php rss stuff working with them (am using FrontPage, not sure if that matters)
    I think it's more of a question of whether or not the webmaster knows how to handle "the php rss stuff."

I have not yet used php or rss on my site[s].
    In order to learn something about php I might some day pick a script from Hot Scripts, edit it and try to understand it, but I have yet to do so.

1&1 has huge 2 page spread advertisements in each and every "Web Designer" magazine I've purchased. I have been pleased with their services as a registrar & a host, I have not noticed any downtime with my site[s] (and I tend to be a night owl).

I think your question is about MySQL databases and PHP -- both are supported by 1&1. Your job is to find the amount & size of databases you need for any project you have in mind (choose a host accordingly if that's what is important to you).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lunarpages and Inmotionhosting are excellent.

I don't have any experience with 1&1 but I have heard from others that they tend to pull the plug if your site starts getting heavy traffic.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Thanks very much davidh for your opinions, too. Much appreciated Yeap, Lunarpages is one of the ones I've heard good things about. I did come across the Inmotionhosting when I was reading and positive remarks were made about it, too. Don't think the heavy traffic would be a problem I'd have. lol
    Thanks again

Purplebear,

One other consideration that might be important to you is Fantastico/cPanel.

1&1 doesn't have Fantastico/cPanel.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia7
    Hmmm regarding Fantastico/cPanel

lol In your opinion is 1&1 not having it something that's to be considered a positive thing or a negative thing??

Right now I use Frontpage and upload using it. I really very rarely go into GoDaddy for much of anything. I use Google analytics for my stats and just go to check the site's email without even having to log into GoDaddy. Another one of my sites is hosted elsewhere and does have the cPanel and Fantastico but again I upload using FP, just check on the mail and have the stats with Google for it, too.

Other than noticing the name....have absolutely no knowledge at all even what Fantastico is and have no experience using the cPanel other than to log in to see the email at the other host that's not GoDaddy.

Once I get the hosting figured out lol my big ambition is to figure out the php or rss stuff for some coupons...then if I somehow manage to survive that and am still standing. lol I'm gonna tackle a blog since I've promised somebody I'll get brave enough and do it. lol Does that have anything to do with Fantastico??

http and a telephoto
    Fantastico is good for people that need to install things and don't want to do it manually. I do things like that myself and don't use the built in one click installs at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I used a few free hosts prior to subscribing to 1&1 (they had cPanel and cPanel tends to be popular with those who have used it).
    You can read about Fantastico/cPanel here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastico_(web_hosting)

I was disappointed when I first realized that 1&1 didn't have cPanel but I adjusted to what 1&1 does offer.

"php or rss stuff for some coupons" really is dependent more on the webmaster's tech knowledge than anything else (and also the amount of databases and sizes of those databases).

I like 1&1. I guessed that you had experience with cPanel/Fantastico and might want to continue with it.

So far I like 1&1.
    I use Blogger with my 1&1 hosting.

1&1 also offers some form of Wordpress but I don't know if it's the "whole deal" -- I think if someone wants all the plug-ins the webmaster might have to install a separate copy.

Once there was a question of Wordpress tracking:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=81227
    also here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ight=wordpress
    I found the question of tracking somewhat unnerving so I didn't feel like making the switch when I knew that links would track in my Blogger blog hosted on my hosting.

I know that my links on Blogger track so I stayed with Blogger.
    Lots of people are happy with Wordpress, so the choice is yours.

You might want to read what I what here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...04&postcount=4

and here:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...19&postcount=5

Good luck in your choice of everything.

I haven't used it yet but 1&1 offers "EasyRSS" if you would like to create your own RSS feed[s].
    "EasyRSS helps you to add content to your website and provide an RSS feed at the same time. Once you have integrated your RSS feed, just use this EasyRSS tool to add items. The content will be automatically displayed on your website and your RSS feed subscribers will see that you have updated your website."

So far I've used:
    182 MB of 100000.0 MB in use (Disk Space)
    1041 MB of 2500000.0 MB have been used (Transfer)
    6287 of 262144 files in use

I think I'm doing alright with 1&1's plan.
    1&1 supports Perl, Python, and PHP (but you have to provide the scripts).
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 15th, 2007 at 02:15 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks both Loxly and Rhia7
    ooooh boy, I wouldn't even have a clue as to how to install it manually. lol
    Good support is definitely gonna be important lol and gonna have to be very patient support.

I'm gonna have to eventually get comfortable with the cPanel I suppose since I already have the one with it, made a site for somebody else that I'll eventually end up having to maintain for them and it's got cPanel.
    Thanks for that link. Does definitely offer a lot.

My original site's host offered free hosting and they didn't have the cPanel and pretty sure GoDaddy doesn't have it but have noticed from my looking around now that a lot of sites do have it.

I've been assured lol even with my pathetic techie knowledge lol even I would be able to put the php, rss coupon stuff on my pages. These two people may eat those words yet. lol but they seem to think I can do it. (Obviously they have more confidence in me than I do. lol so we'll see.

Umm nope, unless they've somehow managed to get themselves in there without my knowledge lol don't have any databases on my site. They've said it's just a matter of putting in the code they'll give me. Would love to learn about databases and datafeeds but not sure this little brain won't exploded first before that happens. We're not dealing with a nice healthy little brain...this one's gettin older by the minute. lol On some days like today...it's reallllly feelin old. lol

I've heard positive things about wordpress and blogger....so don't know who I'd use yet. Quickly took a look at those links and will definitely be back to read up on more of that when I do get brave enough for the blog.

I did spot that rss at 1&1 and was very interested in that. I'd like to have that for my site at some point, too.... Got an awful lotta wants at this point. lol so have an awful lotta learning still to do and haven't quite figured out how to do things while I'm sleeping yet.

Thanks everybody for all of your helpful comments, really appreciate them

Thanks for good luck wishes....have a feelin I'm gonna need it.

I don't know what else to tell you

I like 1&1 [but it doesn't have cPanel]

1&1's support is okay. Any issue I've had with them has been resolved in a timely manner.

I don't think any host is going to tutor somebody in PHP

If you subscribe to 1&1 order their "software deal" the host offers in the beginning -- I had lots of fun with the software they sent (even if I didn't end up using everything, it was fun to get in the beginning).

I recommended 1&1 to someone who wants a domain and a site eventually but who has zero experience in creating web pages or buying domain names.
    I said I'd be glad to help with the site (create/maintain it) and that I believe 1&1 is a good registrar (plus their hosting & domain combo is a good deal).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    I'm gonna have to eventually get comfortable with the cPanel
    It's pretty easy to get comfortable with cPanel.
    I only mentioned it because I used to "hang out" in a free hosting forum and recruit new members on behalf of a free host. CPanel was always a "strong selling point" but really if a host (such as 1&1) does not have cPanel, it's really not a big loss.

1&1 has given me better "up time" than any free host I used to use and by the look of some hosting complaints I read about here and at other forums, I think 1&1 gives a good value for the money.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

One advantage of cPanel is that it's the most commonly used control panel these days. That makes it easier to move your sites to a new host when necessary, because cPanel itself can do the transfer.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread