Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I Almost Bit......
    Gosh, I was just this |----| close to accepting terms, when I read this one from a CJ merchant.....

"13. Identification of Publishers
    We may identify you or your site as a participant in the Program without providing you prior notice or obtaining your specific written consent. Such identification may be oral, written, or electronic, and may include (but is not limited to) public announcements, promotional materials, internal and external reports, and public filings."

Now, you see, that's just bad manners. There are a few of my better sites that, well, I've taken care to keep a fairly low profile on. I mean, you'd really have to look, and know a couple of personal facts about me to find those sites. And thanks for the offer, but I don't think I really wish to put a big fat target up on my site for other affiliates to zero in on. How, exactly, does publishing my success to my competitors help me out, again, because you lost me there......

-sigh-

I guess I'll just work with your competitor.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    So which merchant has that toxic waste in its terms, anyway? Don't leave us in suspense and wondering if one of our old ones slid this by as an unnoticed change~!

Smile Brilliant Terms
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Gosh, I was just this |----| close to accepting terms, when I read this one from a CJ merchant.....

"13. Identification of Publishers
    We may identify you or your site as a participant in the Program without providing you prior notice or obtaining your specific written consent. Such identification may be oral, written, or electronic, and may include (but is not limited to) public announcements, promotional materials, internal and external reports, and public filings."

Now, you see, that's just bad manners. There are a few of my better sites that, well, I've taken care to keep a fairly low profile on. I mean, you'd really have to look, and know a couple of personal facts about me to find those sites. And thanks for the offer, but I don't think I really wish to put a big fat target up on my site for other affiliates to zero in on. How, exactly, does publishing my success to my competitors help me out, again, because you lost me there......

-sigh-

I guess I'll just work with your competitor.
    Wow that is brilliant for the advertiser. Did the T's and C's have a non compete clause with other companies in a similiar industry even after potentially ending a biz relationship?

Ditto Leader's Question.

Googling for the text, it looks like it's Apple.

Interesting that they don't give affiliates the same liberty:

You may not make any public statement or press release with respect to this Agreement or your participation in the Program without the prior written consent by Apple, which may be given or withheld in our sole discretion.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Sorry, Leader, forgot to mention the merchant.... Orvis. 5%-12% commission, 14 day cookie. Nice looking web site, and their EPC drew me in, seems to be relatively high.

Some of their other terms are written in an ambiguous manner.

.........if Apple's is the same text, perhaps it is just default terms that default into the tos? I dunno.

http and a telephoto
    Plus they batch once a month... I told another affiliate today that I would run far from them...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Why would you run from a:

3 month EPC $94.21 USD
    7 day EPC $118.88 USD

merchant.

I have them and they convert great. I do agree that batching once a month is pretty bad, not a merchant I would do PPC with. If you check CJ under the Men's category they're listed under, they're #1 among 34 merchants. They're 3 month EPC is $94+, the merchant in at #2 has a $37+ EPC. Besides the once a month batching, they're a good merchant.

edited to add, just ran my own reports and have an EPC over $140 with them for the year.

http and a telephoto
    Then for you they are great Without your sharing, there is nothing to base a decision on, so again, the power of ABW shines.

I don't look at EPC as a good indicator, when other indicators tell me to run away.

You won't mind if they publicize your site?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, I don't like when they do that but it's not a problem with this merchant. I doubt I'm a top affiliate with them and with this merchant I'm not doing anything special with them so there is really nothing to highlight. Just some text links on an outdoor gear page. If merchants want to do this, they really should ask their affiliates (partners) first. It's just common courtesy and good practice.

Yes, the EPC was really intriguing. That particular phrase bothered me, though, since it implied a general naiveness about what affiliates want in a program. How many times have we seen newsletters or even posts here from merchants that wanted us to know the specific affiliate web site that won a contest and converts best for them for a specific period of time?

Anyway, glad that one converts for you Trust, other than that specific term, I did not have any real qualms about the program.

When I was young, my dad adopted a gun-shy pointer. The dog was great for flushing game, but after you fired off a shot, it disappeared for an hour or so. I guess maybe I'm just a gun-shy affiliate!

One of the travel merchants I work with on CJ batches once a month. Their transactions are posted on the 10th of the month following completion of travel. For instance, if someone books a 6/25 - 7/2 vacation in April, it won't show up on CJ until 8/10 and will be paid around 9/20, almost three months after the vacation was completed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    One of the travel merchants I work with on CJ batches once a month. Their transactions are posted on the 10th of the month following completion of travel. For instance, if someone books a 6/25 - 7/2 vacation in April, it won't show up on CJ until 8/10 and will be paid around 9/20, almost three months after the vacation was completed.
    I doubt that the montly batching merchants will have any PPC affiliates
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread