Hello all....
    Boy I have been up awful late (and early) lately reading this board, and I do thank everyone for all the interesting information.

I am wondering what methods, or systems, or tools, or tips that are useful for keeping track of all the important information such as account #'s, AID#'s, PID#'s, Affiliate #'s URL's, dates, merchants or programs signed up with....that sort of thing.

I can see becoming buried under so much information, and really having a mess on my hands if I don't develop a system right off the bat. Can't seem to find anything on this by searching.

Many thanks,
    Sharon

ABW Ambassador
    Grumble grumble.... I have it all in a few giant excel spreadsheets. You would think it would be in a database because I am such a database freak but no, it is just sitting in excel.

Hi Sharon
    Welcome to ABW!
    I'm fairly new to this and it's amazing how quickly you become engulfed with information.
    Most of it is e-mail, so it's vital to maintain a good filing system in your e-mail client.
    Have a hierarchy of folders - one called 'Merchants' containing a folder for each merchant you sign up with etc.
    That way, if you can't remember your account details for a particular merchant, a few clicks in Outlook or whatever you use will get you there.
    Hope this answer isn't too simplistic - I'm surrounded by chaos normally. I don't use any method other than maintaining my mail filing cabinet!

Whatever info like that that I save in my PC I also upload to a website as a backup copy.

And I also write the information on paper and save it in manila folders.

Computers can crash, but paper doesn't forget.

-- Mike

I use Microsoft Outlook. Keeping everything organized in Email Folders, Notes, Contact Entries etc.

Then make sure I backup to my second computer, and to a CD, that then goes out in the truck on a regular basis. Can't afford to lose all that hard earned info.

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Organized?! Har har, chaos reigns!

I have backups of my sites, of course! And 1099s get pitched into a certain drawer. A few things go into an old-fashioned paper Rolodex.

But other than that things are rather chaotic. I have better things to spend my brainpower on than tedious clerical-type junk.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

15 years and counting
    Organized - What an awful word.

Leader - "I have better things to spend my brainpower on than tedious clerical-type junk"

Leader, Do you mind if I use that as my next signature?

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

LOL
    the more I read, the better I feel...
    (I'm not the only one...)

Ah..I think I have it!

Clear out a couple of drawers, and the glove compartment in the truck.

Re-label a few already dog eared manila folders.

Back up the important stuff, and otherwise let the chaos take it's course..

Sounds pretty normal for me...he he

Thanks,
    Sharon

Well,

I don't trust computers. I delete history, autocomplete, temp internet files, etc, everything, all the time.

Back files up on CD every 30 days

I keep my password stuff in a log book on the empty chair beside me.

Too bad the dog ate it.

Doc

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." -- Phillies Manager, Danny Ozark

I am in terrible trouble......I have SIX dogs

I have every join confirmation email ever sent to me in folders separated by network (independants in their own folder), combined with every communique from the merchants which contain anything which might be important anytime in the future.

I use locally-cached IMAP for my email, so there's two copies of everything, and everything important on my server is automagically backed up on a regular schedule.

I make deep-linking url templates for products merchants when I join them, so I always have something on hand in case I want to put a deep link in a reply to a post on my forums.

Plus, on my web server, I have one page which contains one banner from each of the merchants I am currently partnered with - every time I add or remove a relationship, it's the first page to get updated..

Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

Ummm..I feel really bad

Chaos reigns supreme on my desk....but all is not lost... I do have a notebook I jot down passwords, I can't read my writing, but at a push I probably could.
    My filing cabinet is full of junk, so all my important papers are scattered on my huge desk, under the desk and under my feet...but I do know where everything is

But, my linen closet is tidy

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Zeus--It's fine with me if you use that for a sig.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

I try my best to be as organized as I can. If everything is chaos in my office, home, car, desk or even computer desktop I find it very hard to think and work.

I'm not an anal retentive type at all but a good to fair amount of organization is definately needed for me to do my work.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread