Autumnal
    There was something on the radio today about things autumnal, when someone asked the question "What do Americans say when they mean autumnal?".

Anyone care to enlighten me how you describe the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness?

http and a telephoto
    Peaceful.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    There was something on the radio today about things autumnal, when someone asked the question "What do Americans say when they mean autumnal?".

Anyone care to enlighten me how you describe the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness?
    Autumn ... we don't get all wordy on ourselves here. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Colorful. Nippy. Harvest-time. Fall foliage season.

However, this is a big country and the weather varies greatly from north to south and east to west. When I lived in Florida I welcomed Autumn as a relief from the sweltering summer weather. Now that I'm back "up north" I dread autumn as the precursor to bitter winter weather.

Saturday we cleared all the plants and furniture from our porch and deck and stored everything away or brought it indoors. The next autumn project for us is raking leaves off the lawn. Bleccchh.

I didn't realise you actually used "autumn" thought it was just "fall" - does that make me thick?

Rhea - I started things like that today, collected the last of the green tomatoes and put the plants on the compost heap, trimmed Fuchsias for the winter, put out baskets of violas by the front door and placed trailing geranium basket from there to the most sheltered part of the back garden to last as long as possible.

I did my back in at the w/e so am temporarily spared the task of raking up leaves and the wife used the last of the lawn-mower fuel in her car to get to the garage a few days ago (of course she forgot to take the can to fill up) so I can't even use that to collect the ever increasing pile of leaves.

Still it's been nice weather to walk the dog and collect conkers.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Green tomatoes make a great base for chutney. Which reminds me, I need to make some of that. Stuff would keep forever if we weren't always eating it.

And yes, we Merkins do use the word "autumn." However most of us have never heard of a conker. What do you do with them?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    It means amazing colors

Memories of drawing Pilgrims in 1st grade

It's no longer 120 degrees

Packing the muscle shirts and getting polo shirts (LOL/vegas winter gear)

Pumpkin patches springing up all over town

Fright houses springing up

Oom-pah music at Octoberfests

Pumkin pie

Anticipation of family, friends and gifts

Getting dark 3 hours before it should

And a reminder that time slips past way too fast

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    I didn't realise you actually used "autumn" thought it was just "fall" - does that make me thick?
    I use Fall. Maybe it has to do with what part of the country you're from, regional kind of deal, could be totally off on that one? Like I call a can of Coca Cola a Coke. Some people call it a soda, other places a pop (notice that up north a lot).

"Anyone care to enlighten me how you describe the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness?"

Cooler weather, football

Conkers are horse-chestnut seeds, a traditional English game is to string them up and have a battle with some-one elses. You take it in turns to see if yours can smash theirs.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?gb...=Search+Images

The name apparently comes from the French "conquer". When I was a kid, schoolkids played conkers religiously. Nowdays it's been banned just in case anyone gets hurt!

ABW Ambassador
    There are schools in America that ban tag nowadays Crazy. Also there was a recent story about students not being allowed to hold hands/kiss. The horror.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread