Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Do you ever want to quit and toss in the towel?
    That is just what I did a couple years ago. I was so fed up with the adware/spyware thieves that I just deleted most of my sites, didn't even renew some of them, and turned my back on the affiliate business.

Now I wish I'd have kept the good sites. I could have let them set dormant and rebuilt them, but no... I let them go so now I have to start over from scratch.

What a waste of 2 years! Not just the 2 years, but the future that will be wasted building new sites, finding new products, building good pages, getting ratings in the search engines, building a customer base, learning to use feeds, and the list goes on.

If you ever think you want to toss in the towel and quit, DON'T DO IT!!! You'll be miserable when you try to make a comeback.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Sometimes I get discouraged but I'd never erase or delete any of my websites or domains, I'd let them sit. You could have made a killing right now by selling off some of the projects/websites that you were no longer interested in. But that's water under the bridge, roll up your sleeves and rebuild. There's lots of new opportunities available and Christmas is coming!!!

I've started and quit so many businesses, I'm ashamed to admit it. I wouldn't exagerate to say that affiliate marketing was probably #50 something, before finally finding something that actually worked.

The only thing, now, that could make me throw the towel in, is if the entire affiliate industry switched so badly, that making money would be next to impossible. That's a worry I'm always thinking about, especially with big players getting in, such as Google.

For now though, the game plan is to keep pushing ahead, and when I've saved enough money, diversify some more by trying the merchant side (I've got a great business in mind, just waiting for the right time).

Two-cents worth from a constant newbie..

Creating web pages is actually something that I like to do so as long as I am able to do so I will
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Creating web pages is actually something that I like to do so as long as I am able to do so I will
    Same here. It is even better to get paid for doing it

I like the technology and the toys. I hate building pages or doing c*ntent. I don't think I'll throw in the towel, but it is getting boring. The future doesn't look as bright in affiliate marketing but it's not doom and gloom.

Until I can find something else where I can have the freedom and still make as much money I'll stick it out. Being your 'own boss" is one thing. If you own a company, you still answer to customers/clients. In Aff marketing, you answer to nobody but thyself.

Yes. I would rather be wave running, scuba diving, or playing games. (not necessarily in that order).

Now I wish I'd have kept the good sites. I could have let them set dormant and rebuilt them, but no... I let them go so now I have to start over from scratch.
    That really sucks, but the silver lining is that you have an opportunity to start with a clean slate. There was a thread not long ago about "What would you do if you were starting over".

Good luck with all your new sites!

I believe everyone has had these moments....
    The only thing you can do is try to hang on!
    And if your product/website/ whatever project you are in is good, than it shall become ok.
    Just have a little bit faith in your product.

I get bored easily and am always switching what I do every 1.5-2 years. It's the OCD, teamed up with occassional ADD that leads to more OCD>> to eventually leads to burn-out, that leads to>> boredom<< phenomena! So I pick up my bags and do something else!

Moneybusines, I am thus 45 jobs behind you!

Lectric, I am sorry to hear of your regrets. I have found that with so much competition compared to 4 years ago, it is harder to get into each market. Search Engine Rankings, PR, backlinks, etc. Technology is changing so rapidly and there is much to learn. At least you have a bit of a headstart and have some knowledge from before. Just keep your eye on your goal, write down what you have done each day in your blog/journal, so at least at the end of the day, you know you are making progress. Just feel good about that. You will get there if you keep at it.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    Do you ever want to quit and toss in the towel?
    Everyday!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hey Kitty, I remember you! Welcome back!

There was a time after the dot-com crash and before Adsense when I joked that I made more money from the small change I found in the washing machine than I earned from my web sites, but back then I was only doing AM as a hobby. My web sites were primarily content sites that offered me a creative outlet and I had a "regular" job so my income from AM didn't matter so much. That period of time was pretty discouraging. I guess I'm lucky that I didn't expect to earn much from AM so finding out that I could earn a living from it a few years ago was a very unexpected and pleasant surprise.

And here we are.

I'm sorry to hear you gave up your web sites but perhaps you can recover some of them from archive.org and rebuild. At least this time around you know what you're doing and the learning curve should be much shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Everyday!
    I am there with you.

I know there are times that I just get up and walk away from it for a couple of days and get refreshed to jump into again. I think we all go through it every once in awhile, we wouldn't be human if we didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lectrickitty
    If you ever think you want to toss in the towel and quit, DON'T DO IT!!! You'll be miserable when you try to make a comeback.
    I couldn't agree more. In fact it's important to have a plan in case affiliate sales don't pan out. In my case I build software and if worst came to worse I could always turn around and sell my shopping engines to affiliates. I just couldn't rest at night if I wasn't creating something of monetary value.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

maybe you can look up your old sites on http://www.archive.org/index.php

I have many lists of "woulda, coulda, shouldas" ... and it can drive me nuts if I dwell on it too long. Ya know? Like when .com's sold for $100 and names like gap.com, etc., were still available? Move forward. Always. But what is the saying? To forget the past is to repeat it (that's not it but..close enough). We've all felt (I would guess) that at times we were the Beatle who quit.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Like when .com's sold for $100 and names like gap.com, etc., were still available?
    That's a frequent, and very annoying thought that pops into my head roughly 1000 times a week... lol

Thumbs up Mattress Answer Man
    At least most of you are earning a living at this. I started almost a year ago with a deam. I've spun my wheels for most of that time. I wasn't even on the web 14 mo ago. Everyday I work at least 2 hrs on the site most tlmes more. I think what keeps me going is that I learn something new about this everyday. I also keep finding things by mistake. I just learned basic html so everything has been done the hard way. Today I found SHOPINPAGE a gadget maker similar to golden can but better for me, I actually got excited because of the work it'll save me. I think these things are to my advantage ,you know no boredom.

On the tough days I do think about giving up, it usually is when Iím having problems with business or family. I do make money but not enough to quit my day job, and enough that I would miss the income generated if it where gone. It is hard to balance a job, family and business all at the same time. Time and an ever changing Internet is a big challenge, I have found that you need to accept the fact that instead of leaps and bounds the steps take are longer and slower. But with each step progress is made towards the goal.

My goal is for both my wife and I to quit our day jobs and travel around our great country and do business on the fly. Iím sure each and every one of us has there only personal goals and dreams in relation to our businesses. I have a simple phrase on the wall just above my monitor that says ď Keep the Dream AliveĒ every time I sit down to get some work done it stares me right in the face. It helps me remember why my wrists hurt and why I have to pry my eyes open with a pry bar in the mourning.

My biggest problem has been that every time I get a good thing going something expires or G or Y throws me curve ball that hits me in a bad place. There is so much that is out of our control that it is truly challenging. There is also a huge learning curve, itís like running a business and going to college at the same time. T+L=R Work Time + Education= Results, it is all relative to how much you do of each.

Iíve been doing it for 8 years and went from $0 a month and hoping for $25 to one month of clearing $10,000. Keeping things consistent is a problem for me.

Having said all that, know that in no way do I consider myself an expert in affiliate marketing. Iím still in school doing the best I can with the time I have available.

Remember that unless you want to scam people affiliate marketing is not a get rich quick scheme, and why you are doing what you are doing.

Keep your dream alive!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Hey Kitty, I remember you! Welcome back!
    I remember you too. Thanks for the welcome back.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

Lectrickitty,

Major newbie question here. You said you left affiiliate marketing because you were "so fed up with the adware/spyware thieves ". I am very new to this business and am wondering what to look out for and how to prevent this.

I have been working my ___ off building my first site and don't want to get into the same trouble.

Thanks for any advise. - Jacque

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I have many lists of "woulda, coulda, shouldas" ... and it can drive me nuts if I dwell on it too long. Ya know? Like when .com's sold for $100 and names like gap.com, etc., were still available? Move forward. Always. But what is the saying? To forget the past is to repeat it (that's not it but..close enough). We've all felt (I would guess) that at times we were the Beatle who quit.
    If only I had thought to reserve a domain for a company I dreamed of starting back in 1987. But NO, my focus group said "Google" was a dumb name and people weren't likely to use the internet to make purchases or buy advertising. So I dodged that bullet!! whew....
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    That's a frequent, and very annoying thought that pops into my head roughly 1000 times a week... lol
    All I can say is from many years of experience in internet marketing is that the ups are really high and the downs are really low. All you can do is push on by starting new sites and finding new ways to monetize your current traffic and lists. I got ------ for over $100K when some online pharmacies went down. The worst part was that I had paid for PPC's, forum ads, and text links to earn that so I lost the ad money and the income.

Then when my father in law found out he called me up and said "You just have to let it go, its going to do nothing but eat you up inside and destroy your outlook on the thing you love to do and that you are lucky enough to make a living doing. Don't ever think/look back on what could've been or where you would be now if XYX had happened. I had millions in property when the real estate market crashed in the 80's, then I had nothing and debt up to my eyeballs. To top it all of its when I got in my wreck (he is a paraplegic and has to use a wheelchair). If I look back I see myself walking and playing golf. The measure of a person's strength and wealth is not what he/she has but what they can endure and still prevail with a positive attitude."

I told him thank you and got back on the computer and worked for 24 hours strait. Try and think about what you have and how you can improve yourself today. If you live in the past you have no future. Live to prepare for the future and learn from your past and you'll be stronger for it. Never give up, if you do your already dead. Be a fighter

Sorry to get all serious on you guys but I thought it may help with your what if problem. So go get em people.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I woke up to 6 "Customer Payment Errors" on my shopping cart this morning. One order was for

Subtotal: $182.55
    Shipping (Shipping & Handling: Standard US Ground): +$16.95
    Grand Total: $199.50

From 6am until noon, was on the phone with the shopping cart and the gateway provider... who of course just blamed each other.

FYI: Gateway proveder's support said they'd respond with 72 hours!!! And Shopping cart's contact page said they're installing new phones, will be ready NLT 11/5, and the phones listed on the page didn't work. Talk about frustration!!!!

Bottom line, I lost several hundred dollars in sales this morning... do I wanna quit???

For a split second...

then...

Was replacing a Waterford Crystal banner and discovered they added PERSONALIZED crystal products... 30 of 'em, (that's my niche!)

So while my merchant cart was not taking orders (it's fixed now) I spent that time adding Waterford links

And Noth PM'd me this morning about a company that makes personalized Bobble Heads

So yes, I think about it... but no, I never act on it

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    If everyone who got frustrated quit who would be left to over bid some of these search terms???

: )
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast