Internet Cowboy
    Scammers Tryin' to Get Me
    So, a week or so back I put my boat up for sale (upgrading) on a major online boat trading web site .

I got an email last Thursday from a guy offering me a sum of money. I told him I would take it.

Today I got this:
    Hello,

I write in the respect on the Inquiry made on your boat some days ago, I have just spoken with my client, I am delighted to tell you that he has recommended your boat and hope to pay as agreed upon, he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction and he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a Cashier check of $XX,000 , which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this cashier check has to be made out in this amount to you because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check. So you are required to deduct the cost of your boat ($X,X00) when payment gets to you and refund $X,X00 balance to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping and other tax charges. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up & signing of papers and take to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.

Confirm this and forward your Name....... Address.... and Phone number........... for payment to be made to you as soon as possible.

Thanks and have a blessed day.
    I hear about this scam all the time, but have never lived it...until now.

I know, I am probably turning down a great offer. I am sure his Father was the late King Smoochie and there is no doubt $4 million buried somewhere, but I'll pass for now.

Also...the email came from the same guy who originally made the offer even though it purports to be from someone else. I guess those Yahoo email addresses are expensive!

I am embarassed to admit this, but when selling her sailboat, my mother FELL for this scam. Fortunately for her, there was a sharp woman at her bank who spotted the fake cashier's check and stopped payment on my mother's check and saved her over 10,000. UGH. My mom is not stupid either, just trusting. I think she knows better now, though.

You know what they say about Satan? The best lie he puts together sounds just like the truth. That's a trick that is thousands of years old.

...same with what both of you have mentioned above.

Geno

There a phone number at this page to report it to the ftc http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre40.shtm you can also file a complaint online through a link on that page.

Don't forget to contact the site admin to let them know someone is targeting their customers.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    I have seen some darn good looking cashiers checks....once at Tiger we even deposited one, fooled all of us until the bank called us on it ... luckily the merchandise hadn't shipped yet ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Typical scam on craigslist.

If you want to test out the water, post something like a laptop for sale. They will pay you (money order, certified check) and have Fedex come pick it up.

I got a similar scam fake cashier's check in the mail. I just deposited it and let the bank handle it. I didn't touch the money until I knew the CC would clear, and sure enough the bank caught it within 3 days and called me personally.

I figured if it was real, cool, if not it wouldn't cost me anything (bank doesn't charge me for things like this).

I certainly wouldn't act quickly on any transaction that seems "scammy". Years of ebay selling have certainly taught me a few lessons. Glad that is a thing of the past.

Tell them to come over and pick it up in person. Then ....... splain it to em...

that is why a lot of people are using paypal as opposed to money order for ebay.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    that is why a lot of people are using paypal as opposed to money order for ebay.
    Who wants to lose money to paypal for large purchases? It will eat you alive and still no guarantees.

The best way to sell something like this is face to face...
    just let them pick it up and if it's not to mutch money try and let them pay in cash...

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I love this web site: www.419eater.com

Check out the Trophy Room...........
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    cops should set up stings and catch these guys and shoot them in the head.

side note: 419eater should be ashamed of that banner they have at the bottom of their site that looks like it's a "Best Sites" drop-down box.

You are all missing the IMPORTANT part of the story.....

A NEW BOAT!!!!! WHAT KIND?????????

*wipes slobber from keyboard*
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Where do I place the order? The phone at GD is ringing busy today.

I could trailer that bugger down to the Pamlico Sound and do some serious sking.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    off topic but need to comment:

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    side note: 419eater should be ashamed of that banner they have at the bottom of their site that looks like it's a "Best Sites" drop-down box.
    You are absolutely right, never noticed that before. Being an anti scammer site, that is a sneaky thing to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    I'd like to see someone backing THAT boat down the local dock.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

What's the draw on that boat, Adam. Lake Fork is big, but I'm not sure Scooter can get into his weedy bays with that....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Adam,
    While the thought of Donuts manning the .50 caliber machine guns to eliminate competition is appealing, I am afraid that boat doesn't have enough tackle storage area

I am looking at something along these lines. I would like to find a nice one that is 5 or so years old. My current boat was great on the Florida flats, but lacks when fishing the open water of Lake Fork. It sits up to high, is too light and too slow.

Maybe if I try this scam on someone who is selling the boat I want, and I get them to refund me $X,X00, I can then.....well....nevermind. I think I'll stay legit!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    It sits up to high, is too light and too slow.
    And the person who rides up front gets too wet.

:-)

Looks nice. I'm jealous. New boat time is a special time....
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

It looks like we could tow that with the Vue (if we didn't get it wet). Nice! They say that some of the best days in a man's life are when he gets his boat and when he sells his boat. Hopefully both of these will happen very soon.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Scooter, you got it all wrong. My offer was legitimate. I only used the Yahoo address because I do not want Donuts to know that I was buying it for his Christmas gift.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    They say that some of the best days in a man's life are when he gets his boat and when he sells his boat.
    Yep, it's true. The banker I financed my first boat with way back when told me that. This is more of a switch from one style to another. I'll still be happy when it's done.

I yanked on my scammer friend for a while, but he quit responding. Just like telemarketers, these guys know when to cut and move on. It's a pure numbers game.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread