ABW Ambassador

Tell animal lovers not to read, and what do I do? Read.

Here in the south, it's pretty common to eat squirrel and go squirrel hunting (something I can't do - I like the furry little things), especially with the previous generation. My Papo (grandfather) has a handful of stories and recipes regarding squirrels in Mississippi.

I remember growing up as a kid, and training the backyard squirrels to come take a nut out of my hand. Only took a few days to do, mainly by tapping the pecan, or other nut on the concrete porch.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    [QUOTE=MoneyBusiness]
    Here in the south, it's pretty common to eat squirrel and go squirrel hunting. My Papo (grandfather) has a handful of stories and recipes regarding squirrels in Mississippi.[QUOTE]

My dad was originally from N. Carolina, so we squirrel hunted and ate many squirrel recipes when I was a little jeeter. After I reached 14 or so I no longer had the heart to shoot the squirrels.

(So I switched to dynamite!!!)

Exit - stage left.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton

My dad was originally from N. Carolina, so we squirrel hunted and ate many squirrel recipes when I was a little jeeter. After I reached 14 or so I no longer had the heart to shoot the squirrels.

Exit - stage left.
    Somewhere I have a picture of a squirrel hanging on to the screen on our back door, about 5 feet off the ground. It was trying to get to the hummingbird feeder we had hanging off the eaves just outside the door. Squirrels love our backyard since it has so many birdfeeders, but when we let Sadie, our beaglador, outside she clears the yard of squirrels real quick! She hasn't caught one yet, but came close a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    I remember growing up as a kid, and training the backyard squirrels to come take a nut out of my hand. Only took a few days to do, mainly by tapping the pecan, or other nut on the concrete porch.

I once trained a family of scrub jays to take peanuts and sunflower seeds from my hand.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    You must not ever have heard of squirrel brain gravy. It is mainly a regional dish in Kentucky. They scramble squirrel brains in a white gravy.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    You must not ever have heard of squirrel brain gravy. It is mainly a regional dish in Kentucky. They scramble squirrel brains in a white gravy.

Ew yeah. I wasn't going to say it in my post above, but squirrel brain soup was one of the favorite recipes then... oof

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Ah yes, Kentucky squirrel brains... Move over Iron Chef!!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...5BC0A961958260
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton

Exit - stage left.
    Those living next to Alan should sign a disclaimer when they move in. Not responsible for any damages caused by flying squirrel due to dynamite blasting.

I think I had squirrel soup once. Taste like chicken soup but I was clueless.

Yeah, grew up eating squirrel stew. Very common in the south.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Not to derail (much), but this topic made me think of our loser president and how he played with frogs when he was young. Sorry, nothing on his habits with local squirrels appeared in the original New York Times piece.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread