I found a very high quality coupon site with over 900 stores in it. It has all the normal affiliate sites plus some i've never heard of. From looking at their forum they have over 12,000 posts in one topic alone. 60+ people were currently in the forums at the time I visited. They get alot of traffic. On the right hand side of the main page is a banner, roughly 150 x 170 pixels that says; Help support xxxxxxx. make a Donation! Thank you. Is this for real? Are people really that greedy or is this possibly a person who runs a coupon site for free? I think it is someone who is truly greedy. If you know of this site by its description, please let me know. BTW, they have a furry mascot. I won't post the name as it is against the rules here.

Thanks
    Steve

Okay, here is the deal. I went to the site and posted on their forum asking why a site that was pulling in anywhere from 20,000 to 50,000 dollars a month (low figure, I gave them the benefit of the doubt) was asking for donations to support the site. The post was gone within 5 minutes. No explanation. So, I gave them a chance and now I'll ask here, why is www.DealofDay.com asking for donations to support their site? I think this is the lowest thing a person can do.

ABW Ambassador
    $20,000 to $50,000 a month?

I remember a while back that mycoupons was only bringing in $10,000 each month.

What's the big deal anyway? Some members of a community actually support (& enjoy doing it) their community. Not everyone is a 'taker'.

At least this site gives back to it's members (ie, a place to gather & communicate).. It's quite a few rungs higher than those cyber-beggers (savekaryn, givemeboobs etc).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What's the big deal anyway? Some members of a community actually support (& enjoy doing it) their community. Not everyone is a 'taker'.

At least this site gives back to it's members (ie, a place to gather & communicate).. It's quite a few rungs higher than those cyber-beggers (savekaryn, givemeboobs etc). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Be serious!!! What's the big deal? Dealofday.com boasts having 100,000 members. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in near 100,000 dollars a month. I've read reports that some members here have only 6,000 or so steady members and they bring in 50,000 a month. They prey on unknowing members who don't know how the affiliate game is played and try to milk them for donations. This is equivilant to parasite scum. I sent e-mails to the 3 moderators present on the board and have yet to receive a reply.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's quite a few rungs higher than those cyber-beggers (savekaryn, givemeboobs etc). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, DoD is several rungs below these people. At least everyone knows they're asking for handouts when they don't need them. People who visit DoD and don't know what is going on think the site is up because some citizen out there is doing everyone a favor and paying for it out of their own pocket.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> At least this site gives back to it's members <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Gives back what??? from the looks of it, it is taking from its members.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ScumBag pushing coupons and soon to be pushing a BHO popup program. Like Dealtime these crappy loyality sites offer merchants nothing but grief and will play any trick for a quick buck and when things go sour they will fold and leave members high and dry.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not agreeing or dissagreeing.

But maybe a board that big has a high bandwidth, and maybe they were going to pull the board, then it's own member's decided they would donate to keep the board up, since most likely they aren't earning much of the board in itself.

I run a board, and I'm always looking at bandwidth, and trying to make my forum a bit smaller, and always deleting old content, so it doesn't eat all the bandwidth.And I've had members, say put some banners up, we'll support you, or we'll help pay for it, leave it alone. I've never taken anything, but I don't have a large bill either.

Having a board like that, could cost you sales, by going to a none affiliated merchant, and it could help you in others way.

Just trying to think on why they would do that.

"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open." Thomas Dewar

DealofDay is a shopping site with a board. It is not just a board. If you visit the site you cannot tell me that they do not do REALLY well.

They have affiliate links, auctions, they sell advertising and who knows what else... Oh yeah, they pilfer donations from their members. I found this on their board:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A HUGE Thank you to those who have donated at least $25 to support DealofDay.com!

Here are the entrants into the Deal of Day Hall of Fame!

hrdlife1
    tasker109
    fractal
    jen6889
    tracissavings
    Carolyn013
    JackiFromme
    geepie1961
    Lostboy
    chippers21
    stking
    telos2000
    corganiacs
    dibogart

To be added to the list, make your gift of $25 or more to Dealofday.com by following the link on the main page. We accept paypal.

Thanks for your support!

Mayor

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This gives shopping sites a BAD NAME

ABW Ambassador
    I hate coupon sites.

What a bunch of schmucks donating $25+ to a coupon site like it is a worthy charity or something.

Why don't dealoftheday owners go out and clean windshields downtown if they are so desperate to grab every last dime from the public during a major recession?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
    $20,000 to $50,000 a month?

I remember a while back that mycoupons was only bringing in $10,000 each month.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have to be making more than that (at least now). With their level of traffic, they should be making $10k practically daily.

I need some help on this one. I thought it was deplorable that DealofDay was asking for donations to "support" the site that I e-mailed the owner, Joel Comm and I e-mailed 3 of the moderators about it also. I got no response. So, I logged in and signed up as CeeDubya and asked publicly why such a huge site was asking for donations. I got some flack but Joel Comm finally answered and here is his post:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gee whiz... a guy can't even get a vacation without being harrassed. ;-)

A mod sent this post to me a couple days back and I assumed they had moved it to the mod forum since the original post was so ridiculous. I was wrong for assuming that and I didn't know this conversation was taking place until now.

I really don't HAVE to even reply to this nonsense, but for the sake of our regular members who may wish that I respond, I will say this... You have no idea what you are talking about, ceedubya. I am not disclosing our finances to you, except to say that the funds donated to this site do indeed help to support the site. I would never have added the donation request to the site if I didn't feel it necessary. Besides, only a handful of people have ever given anything anyhow. You couldn't pay your car payment for ONE MONTH with the total amount we have received in donations.

Over the past two years, this site has barely made enough to support itself. I haven't made ANY profit from Deal of Day in two years.

I expect a public apology from you, ceedubya.

Mayor
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Now, what I need help with is this; how do I find out what this person makes on his site? I know it is none of my business personally but I again think he makes well over a million off of it and think his asking for donations is pathetic. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Steve ma man .. I just gotta ask. Do you have a personal vandetta against these guys or something? Why are you wasting your time with this? I understand that its hard to see everyday people being taken advantage of. But this is just a donation, its not like their charging people money just to use their site or anything like that.
    Heck, you could do all sorts of calculations and come up with a rough figure of their earnings. But what is that realy gonna accomplish?

Sorry , I don't mean to sound harsh here. I just think you could spend your time doing more productive things ....

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, that does really seem low, asking for donations, when they obviously make some dough. Then to publically post that he doesn't make a dime (profit). hah. Well, if that is the case I'd love to be his hosting company, cuz he must be paying them a mint.

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

I myself see no problem with any site that does not charge it's members to access it's pages asking for donations.

DesignerWiz.com service has the option for it's free access mail list members/visitors to donate if they continue to enjoy the free benefits, codes, tools, software, etc. they use that cost nothing to them, but does cosy us bandwidth usage. Where's the profit coming from distributing free content, etc.? This is where donations can become a major factor in continuing to deliver free access.

If your bandwidth keeps climbing and your not drawing adequate profits, this can drive you right out of business. I don't believe anyone here should make rash decisions in interpreting a request/ offering availability of posting "donations" accepted as being an indication of "lowest thing a person can do". If this is true then our service is guilty of the same offense which I would not even remotely apologize for.

Who are we to assume how well a site is doing in financial area? Are we paying their bills? Are we their accountant? .. The list can go on - on.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I am not happy with this thread at all.

Steve you stated in your first post that you were not going to post the url because if was against ABW rules, then less than an hour later you did just that because *you* didn't like their response or lack of response to your inquiry. Exactly where is that clause in the ABW TOS?

Review this post made by Haiko recently:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...642#6076026642

This type of singling out of affiliate sites and bashing them ABW is not going to be tolerated!

I read the thread over at DOD and your posts. A word of caution to you...spend some time doing a bit of research into libel. I saw more than one statement where you stated things as facts that you do not know that were used to make a point which could possibly be construed as defamation. That puts you in a position of potential risk if DOD wanted to pursuit it. And now you have posting here along that same line which could potentially cause a headache for ABW since this thread will show in their logs.

There is nothing illegal about DOD asking for donations. It matters not whether you, me, or anyone else agrees or not with the practice. It is for the membership of that board to determine how they feel about it.

As far as how to go about finding out how their financials? YOU DON'T!!!!! The only time you have a right to that type of information is if the company is publicly held or if they or a non-profit (and then it's jumping through hoops through the FOIA. You have no right to that information anymore than I have a right to start digging into how much money you are making.

My advice Steve...cut you losses before you dig yourself a big hole.

I'm closing this thread until Haiko has a chance to review it and can decide what he wants to do with it.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread