php5
    I'm running php4.4.4, but found a cool script that would make a nice add-on to a site I'm developing.

Anyone know of any problems with backward compatibility from php5 to php4? I have too many things running on php4.4.4 to have to go through and try to troubleshoot / re-write the code if they break on php5.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I'm running php4.4.4, but found a cool script that would make a nice add-on to a site I'm developing.

Anyone know of any problems with backward compatibility from php5 to php4? I have too many things running on php4.4.4 to have to go through and try to troubleshoot / re-write the code if they break on php5.
    I didn't have any problems going from PHP4 to PHP5. This really depends on your code though. Maybe install it on your local machine first to test your code before upgrading your live server.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib, I wrote most of the code running on my sites, so I'd bet it's pretty sloppy stuff.

I don't have a local machine that runs php/apache, guess I could get a vps with php5 and test things on it. Don't want to upgrade my dedicated server and then find all the problems.

I'll be searching for a new computer later this month, it's been years since I bought one, any tips on what to look for in a mid-priced system?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Snib, I wrote most of the code running on my sites, so I'd bet it's pretty sloppy stuff.

I don't have a local machine that runs php/apache, guess I could get a vps with php5 and test things on it. Don't want to upgrade my dedicated server and then find all the problems.

I'll be searching for a new computer later this month, it's been years since I bought one, any tips on what to look for in a mid-priced system?
    All my code is custom too and I didn't have any problems. You should definitely set up a local Apache. That's really one of the best things you can do to streamline your development process. No need to SSH or FTP to test as you build.

As for a new computer I'm very partial to Apple. They're going to be releasing their new OS later this month and it's supposed to be much better than Vista. I'd wait for that and maybe get an iMac or Mac Mini.

- Scott

Knight,

Look at getting a local LAMP stack with PHP5 to install and test with on your local machine.

If that is not an option let me know and I will set up a PHP5 hosting account for you. I've got space/servers to spare - just let me know the domain name and the space is yours for the testing.

Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I am slowly upgrading all my scripts to PHP 5 and MySQL 5. There is really not too much involved especially if you aren't using OOP.

I second what Snib said about getting a development server for your office.

A whole server is a pretty drastic step. You can do development on the same local machine you check your email on
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    A whole server is a pretty drastic step. You can do development on the same local machine you check your email on
    That's what I do!

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Yeah, I know I used to have a copy of linux installed in a second partition, but I've got an older system and started running out of disk space and didn't use the linux... so off it went. I had considered getting a third hd or a external drive to run it on. but as I mentioned earlier I think I'm ready to just get a new computer altogether.

And thanks for the offer Patrick. The problem is not so much the domain where this script would be hosted, but the other websites on the server not liking php5 and having to go through and re-code all of them.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Make it easy on yourself (whatever you buy) don't worry about a 2nd partition or a dual boot machine. Just download this and install it. You can run it on Windows, Linux or OSX. You can develop on your Windows/Mac Desktop and upload it to a Linux server.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/index.html
    ---
    ---

I ran into some mySQL performance errors after I upgraded from PHP 4 to 5. I was still using mySQL 4, but I Googled around and found that it was best for PHP 5 to talk to mySQL 5 and after I upgraded mySQL from 4 to 5, I had no issues.

So for those considering upgrading to PHP 5, which I highly recommend, make sure you move to mySQL 5 at the same time.

I just had an issue with a script that may have been related to the php/mysql version. Fortunately Knight01 was able to walk me through the solution to that particular problem.

But in the contact I just got from my web host, they said this:

"Currently your VPS is running with PHP 5.2.5 and mysql 4.1.22.

Upgrading mysql from 4.x to 5.x can cause issues if the database structure demands mysql 4.x functionality which is not available with mysql-5.x."

My question would be this: Should I ask them to upgrade mysql to version 5 -- which version 5, and what sort of problems might I have?

I currently run some simple database tables on most of the domains at this vps which were created from Shareasale datafeeds, nothing very complex. And I have some WordPress 2.3.2 installs on several domains.

Anybody care to suggest how I should go about upgrading to mysql 5? Or should I?

Thanks for any suggestions, guidance, etc.
    Generate more fake news.

Gary, I have "MySQL 5.0.45-community" and I set it up with that when I started the VPS so can't help you on converting with live sites. I know that 5 has added functioality and will allow you to use some newer functions like mysqli_query().

I like to stay fairly well up to date on versions when practically possible. If someday you would have to go from a version 4 to a 6 it might be harder.

Check with tech support first and you might have some naming changes for the database itself. My WordPress version is almost the same as yours and it lives happily on MySQL 5 with no problems.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread