Is there any money left to be made?
    I am very new to the Affiliate world, and several questions come to mind as I research this industry and how I want to play in it.

1. Can money really be made in Affiliate Marketing? - I ask because in my research on CJ, it seems that a lot of the advertisers will not allow their domain names (www.companyX.com) to be used as a part of the ad to mask the true cryptic url that you get when doing search marketing. That leads me to believe that the easy money in seach marketing has been made - and not by me. Am I wrong?

2. Is it possible for an individual to build a true, sustainable business with an affiliate marketing business model? I'm talking starting small, looking and planning long term, bootstrapping and growing the business from cash flow and profits, not starting with venture capital funding and blowing out everyone else in the space.

These are just two of many questions that I have. I am really excited about this industry, and I've just read the book Affiliate Millions and now I'm intrigued as to how I can be successful doing this. I am not one who believes the hype, but I am curious about the possibilities and opportunities that exist.

I am eager to engage in a discussion with as many people that want to weigh in on this topic. Thanks for listening. Keep doing what you do!

All the money to be made has been made. There's none left. It's impossible for an individual to succeed.

Do you really believe that? Of course not.

Affiliate marketing is growing rapidly. There's a lot of competition, but there's still a lot of money to be made. Search marketing isn't the only way to make money at affiliate marketing, but even in that area there are tremendous opportunities.

Individuals have a HUGE advantage over large corporations. They can react much quicker and get things done.

I've been doing this full time for 7 1/2 years. Some have been full time even longer. It can work.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Wink
    Here's a good place for you to start reading http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...+Bullet+thread.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

What was it MC? 6 billion in commissions last year as an industry? Something like that I think.

The question any reasonable person would ask themselves is: What percentage of the market do I have to corner to make this worthwhile?

I think that percentage is pretty small
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishQue6
    That leads me to believe that the easy money in seach marketing has been made - and not by me. Am I wrong?
    Easy money? Is that money that you don't have to work for? If so, you are correct. All the easy money is gone.

Is it possible for an individual to build a true, sustainable business with an affiliate marketing business model?
    Absolutely it is possible. It is not really that hard. Find something that would make you bookmark a site and return to it regularly and run with it.
    I've just read the book Affiliate Millions and now I'm intrigued as to how I can be successful doing this.
    Don't let someone's book that they might have made millions on selling to people like you make you think that this is an easy business and you will make a ton of money overnight.
    Your talk of starting small and concentrating and working is the only way you will make a sustainable living in this arena. Some get in, get incredibly lucky and make a ton of money. Those are the exceptions. Most get in, don't focus, try way too many things all at once and do a half-assed job on them all, fail and head back to the corporate workplace.
    Plan your work. Work your plan.
    Good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    All the money to be made has been made.
    Just as I suspected--Coley's got all the money! Now I know where it all is...

The easy money is gone. But there's plenty of money for folks that are willing to work. Affiliate marketing isn't a magic industry where you can just launch a few PPC ads and then spend the rest of the day counting your money. It involves work, no matter what anybody says. Quality landing pages, quality search terms. And like somebody else mentioned, make your site something folks will want to bookmark. Return traffic is cheap, so build that customer base.

Michael

Great post, Scoots.

I, too have been in this a while - had my A/M first sale in March of 2000. I recently gave up the day job - I had to, it was slowing down my affiliate marketing. It was not "easy" building up my business, but it was fun.

And most of it still is fun. I learn new things every week - and sometimes get so caught up in something new I am as giddy as a kid on Christmas Eve.

Throw that book away. Find something about which you can be passionate. Get moving and Good Luck with your new venture.

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Wow! I really appreciate the responses from everyone. The links to other forum posts, and other nuggets of information have all been extremely helpful and inspiring.

Of course I knew (or should know) that the most successful affiliate marketers are the ones who have treated it like a business, worked it like a business, been patient, dilligent and persistent while learning along the way.

I have just heard so much about the "overnight success" stories- people who throw crap up on the internet and wind up on the cover of some magazine- and those who have been building their businesses for years are not chronicled.

My intention is to continue to learn through ABW, researching opportunities and building my business into one that ultimately will change my family tree for future generations behind me.

I'm just getting started!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    [QUOTE]Is there any money left to be made? Can money really be made in Affiliate Marketing? - That leads me to believe that the easy money in seach marketing has been made - and not by me. Am I wrong?[QUOTE]

No, you are not wrong. I have personally made all the money there is to be made on the internet. Oh sure, I have a left a few franks and rubbles for the "little people" to share among themselves, but the big bucks are mine, all mine!! (doing the Walter Houston dance)

Oh sure, some here may tell you that the opportunities for the future are endless, but they are just letting you down easy or passing along their wishful thinking. So there you have it, a shortcut answer to the same question that has been asked over and over again in this forum. LOL

Now, on a serious note, if you want to make money in online marketing, be prepared to spend years learning, networking, building and persisting. Then and only then can the world be your oyster! Good luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Is there any money left to be made?
    No! Now go away!
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Most get in, don't focus, try way too many things all at once and do a half-assed job on them all, fail and head back to the corporate workplace.
    Plan your work. Work your plan.
    Good luck!
    HEY! I resemble that remark!

<focus knight, focus>
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have just heard so much about the "overnight success" stories- people who throw crap up on the internet and wind up on the cover of some magazine- and those who have been building their businesses for years are not chronicled.
    Those were the days!!

Unfortunately, now there is competition infesting the internet.

"All" you have to do to win, is beat the competition. Same as in 2000. The difference is, there is a lot more competition, and a lot more competitors who are not total newbs.

Those looking for overnight success will be sorely disappointed. It takes time and effort to do this right. Those who experienced overnight success back in the day are probably not working the affiliate channels any more, they're just pandering their crappy eBooks onto unsuspecting people who think that throwing up some random site on the internet guarantees them fortunes untold.

Speaking of this, my mother-in-law (she's approaching 80) makes these little baskets that she sells for a little extra money from time-to-time. She had this brilliant idea that I could make a website for her and that the orders would just come flying in. It's the internet, right, and just throwing up a site means making a lot of money...

I felt bad having to explain to her that putting up a website is the easy part of online marketing, that she needed to have a marketing plan that included an advertising budget, monitor ad expenses vs profit returned, etc. When she learned it wasn't as easy as creating a crappy storefront using MS Word (or...shudder...a mall template), she was out - and I was off the hook.

Like most things in life, you get out of affiliate marketing what you put into it. Also, nothing's guaranteed. Work hard, work smart, learn everything you can, and you'll make some cash.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread