Elimination Diets
    Has anyone done one if these before? My doctor put me on one and I'm on day 2 of the 'detox' portion and it's killing me...

All I can eat is rice, bananas and unflavored, unsweetend apple sauce. That and I've been drinking tons of herbal, caffiene free tea with a tiny bit of honey and lemon.

Has anyone gone through something like this? How do you get past the caffeine withdrawal headaches (I'm used to about 3 cups of coffee a day - so not much), and the other cravings for EVERYTHING? I know it's probably all mental, but what's the best way to get through it?

I have to be on this 5 - 10 days and then I can start adding foods one at a time. So any advice / help anyone can give will be fantastic!

Really appreciate it!

A doctor put you on this? Geez.

The only elimination I can think of is eliminating the doc. LOL

The best way around any craving, smoking or caffeine is to get up and go for a quick walk around the block (or 5 mins if your not in an urban setting) Not only will you get good exercise, fresh air and maybe socialize, you'll completely forget the craving.

Also decaf twinning earl grey tea is still pretty pungent so it can trick your taste buds into thinking your having caffeine.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

An elimination diet is better for detecting food intolerances/allergies than for detoxing. Hopefully your doctor advised you to keep a food diary to track how you respond to each added food.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

I've heard of elimination diets for nursing mothers' infant food allergies. Sounds tough.

http://nctimes.com/articles/2007/10/..._3510_6_07.txt
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    Somebody here went on The Master Cleanser Diet:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=90303

The diet is to find other food allergies / intolerances. I was diagnosed with Celiac's about 6 years ago, so I've already cut out all wheat, barley, rye and oats from my diet. Over the last year I've been feeling progressively worse to the point where lately I feel pretty ill after every meal.

I'm being tested for all sorts of things, from Chron's to refractory sprue (basically Celiac's that doesn't respond to a gluten-free diet), and the doctor wanted to do the elimination diet as one of the tests.

I've been keeping a food diary, but since I'm only on day 3 I still have a little bit of time before I start reintroducing foods into my diet. I appreciate the feedback - especially on the cravings. I may just go for a quick walk before my meeting. I almost gave in and had a cup of coffee with my rice at lunch time to try and get rid of the headache, but now I'm going to try and power through.

I'll definitely be buying a box of decaf Earl Gray on my way home - thanks for the suggestion Haiko!

I would go to a different doctor. The concept of 'detox' is not scientific.
    [B]Kier Marston[/B] - Account Manager
    Email/AIM/MSN: Kier@webgains.com
    [URL=http://us.webgains.com/affiliates.html]Join Webgains[/URL] , Read [URL=http://usablog.webgains.com/]our blog[/URL]

It's not really a "detox" diet though. It's about starting from basics and slowly adding foods till you get a reaction.

The term detox is loosely and improperly used here methinks.

sorry for the confusion - the word detox was more used as a reference to the first part of the elimination diet - taking it back to the basics to allow your body to get rid of some of the food items that could potentially be leading to irritability / reactions etc.

This allows you to recognize anything you may be having a reaction to when you start reintroducing certain foods again.
    [B][COLOR=Navy]Nadia Levine (van Rooyen)[/COLOR][/B]
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Practice at Vantage Media
    nlevine(at)VantageMedia.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I was on a two week rice and water diet at a point in my life when my allergies were totally out of control and there were indications that my immune system had been damaged. I hated the diet but because my life was in jeopardy I stuck to it. After two weeks I was allowed to add one new food every three days. It's important to start with foods that, in combination, provide you with complete nutrition. You might want to ask your doctor for a medical referral to a nutritionist who's experienced in this area.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It's extremely unpleasant but it's far less unpleasant then being sick all the time. Hang in there. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it.

Best of luck and I hope it works.

Regarding your original question, I found this "caffeine withdrawal usually occurs 12 to 24 hours after terminating caffeine intake, although onset as late as 36 hours has been documented. Peak withdrawal intensity has generally been described as occurring 20 to 48 hours after abstinence. The duration of withdrawal has most often been described as ranging between 2 days and 1 week, although longer durations have been occasionally noted."

Perhaps it isn't just in your head, but REAL withdrawal symptoms you're still feeling. I agree with the exercise advice to get out and walk, run, bike, whatever.

source: http://www.caffeinedependence.org/ca...tml#withdrawal

thanks for all the good thoughts everyone. I made the original post over a year ago, and ended up sticking to the diet for about a month and a half. I cut a few more things out of my everday life as a result of the diet and feel a ton better than I did last year. It wasn't an easy thing to do, but worth it because i literally feel like I have my life back

I'm totally back on my coffee though - that's just crazy thinking I'd stay away from it

I've had lots of friends that have done pretty well with cutting their coffee with half regular / half decaf. If you have any days you are feeling guilty about being back on the good stuff, you can always give this a try
    Amy Preis
    Affiliate Development Team, buy.at
    Amy.Preis@corp.aol.com
    www.buy.at

Was the aim to lose weight or to detox? Sounds like you found it was beneficial.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

The aim of the diet was netiher to lose weight or detox, it was specifically to find foods that was causing my body to react negatively. I was sick all the time, totally run down, no energy, had stomach pains etc.

It's not something I would recommend anyone try for weight loss, as it's a difficult way to get the necessary nutrients. What it was great for was pin-pointing foods that I should try to avoid in order to feel better. Definitely helped with that one...

The good thing is now I find 1 cup of coffee a day sufficient, so I figure moderation is key on that one for me.

Exclamation
    Choose a different doctor. At least I would ...

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread