ABW Ambassador
    I'm thinking about charging the non-performring merchants a monthly maintenance fee. That will save me from removing them from my site and save them from loosing the traffic.

Any other affiliates began charging a monthly maintenance fee?

I was thinking about something like the difference between 7.5 cents a click and what I actually earned, but only for significant non-performers, like those where I only receive a penny or two per referral. After all, they've got to pay at least 10 cents a click now for similar traffic from Overture.

Any merchants want to comment on this? A little maintenance fee can turn a lose-lose situation into a win-win situation.

I'd even be willing to have CJ or the other networks collect the maintenance fee on my behalf and keep 1/3 of it for themselves. Any networks listening in have a comment on this?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    How the heck do you expect the AM's who run diversion tactics and put up with double dipping BHO's to pay us for wasted clicks. Can you really expect a Walmart who still hasn't paid anyone for December sales to divy up a CPC penalty or non-performance bonus. Looks like the networks are turning into pimps for the Ad-nausium whores. BeFree is also jumping into the PPCSE game as a front from some ValueClick push to compete. Look for a private labeled BHO to drive that initiative.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Whiznot:
    I'm thinking about charging the non-performring merchants a monthly maintenance fee. That will save me from removing them from my site and save them from loosing the traffic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having my own affiliate site I understand the work that goes into this and what the value of a visitor really is. And as a merchant I am willing to pay for the things that make economic sense for both branding and direct sales. What that means is this: I am willing to pay a whole lot less for BRANDING traffic and a lot more for traffic that converts.

e.g. Non-Converting Branding Traffic = Mass Banner buys, targeted networks at .35 to .50/m

My best converting traffic is solo email campaigns that cost me $1.50 - $2.00/m and I get a 12-15% guaranteed open rate. This converts at extraordinary rates of 14 to 18% on average and higher depending on the offers.

.10 cents a click on Overture is prohibitive to a merchant like me - not in the sense that it won't convert. I just think it's highway robbery and can do better elsewhere. The best CTR I ever got on Overture was 6.2% at .47 cents a click compared to the gauranteed 12-15% at .02 cents a click for email. No brainer.

Just food for thought before you ask a merchant for .075 cents or more for non-performing clicks. I'd rather just buy banner space on your site - that might be a better approach.

Dale Wentzel
    Director, Online Marketing Motormint.com
    Nothing Builds Business Better than a Strong A.R.M.

Buy them a new application and they'll be content for a day - Show them how to code... and they'll go into business for themselves.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread