Bird dancing video
    Somebody told me about this video of a bird dancing. He's actually pretty good. lol Hope ya enjoy it.
    Just click it to start the video.
    Bird dancing video

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    i think it was featured on ABC or NBC. Personally, i did really care too much for it
    Now, I would pay to see Billy break it down.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Check out this bird species! The males actually "moonwalk" to attract females.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-wtO7pjJKk&eurl

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Interesting. Learned something new today. "Red-capped Manakin". The manakins are a family of some sixty small passerine bird species of subtropical and tropical mainland Central and South America, and Trinidad and Tobago. -Wikipedia

Eric - except for Two and a Half Men and Greys Anatomy I don't really watch tv too much lol I was impressed with the little guy, I know parrots will imitate things, not sure if he's the same as the Baretta type bird or not... but that little guy really seemed to be movin to the music lol I know canary, hummingbirds and eagles....that's about it. lol oh and chickens and ducks lol

After having the little hummingbirds come to visit now, I'm fascinated with them. Not so much how speedy the little guys are, but they sound sooooooo cute when ya listen to them.

Rhea - was about to ask you if the bird in that video woulda been from South America and saw Eric filled us in on him. (Thank you Eric saved me from having to search.)
    You always know sooooo much about animals and wildlife in general. Would the green bird that came to visit be a lady bird of that type or just a visiting bird? Also....this will sound stupid....but why are the birds especially in South America sooooooo pretty? They seem to always have such bright pretty colors when I see them on tv. (one of the few other tv things I watch sometimes lol )

Hey purplebear, thank you for the compliment! I've been watching animals since I was a toddler and my greatest interest in them is understanding the evolutionary and ecological reasons for their behavior.

The dancing bird in the video is a cockatoo, which is from Australia. Cockatoos are white, some are kind of rosy-pink or yellowish but none are green, so the green bird was another species. I'll take a look at the video again and see if I can identify it but I'm no expert on birds. Far from it. (Ask me a question about free-living crustaceans and I have a good chance of knowing the answer.)

I don't know why South American birds are so colorful but I can take a guess, from an evolutionary biology point of view. South America is heavily forested which makes it difficult for animals of the same species to find one another for mating, pair bonding, etc. A very colorful bird would be more easily identifiable to others of its kind as it flies through and above the forest canopy. I'll see if I can find any info on that, too.

Well I've looked at that video twice more and not seen any other birds so I'm not sure what you meant about a green bird that comes to visit. My vision isn't great so perhaps I just didn't see what was apparent to you.

As far as theories about the colorful birds of South America I did find this reference. It's a good question and apparently there are several theories, none of which has been proven. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/468283.html (look at the blue box inset in the article).

Doh!

I'm such a dope! You meant the little green bird that comes to visit the bird in the video that I posted. Yes, I believe the green bird is a female manakin. But there are several genus of manakins and lots of species of manakins so probably only a manakin expert could tell you for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipridae

You're quite welcome Rhia. I think most people here probably think of you as our resident widlife expert You always know soooo much on the subject. Wish I knew half the stuff you know.

I've loved animals since my first visit to the zoo. Fell in love with the wolves and prairie dogs (I know...don't you guys living in certain areas of the country laugh at me....I know a lot of ya consider prairie dogs to be big pests but I think they're cute and I don't think wolves are bad either, I think they're beautiful animals.) I'm reallllly fascinated with animals but don't know a whole lot about them just that I think in a lot of cases they're nicer than some people I know. lol

Have always wondered why people can be so rotten to each other but don't think most animals are like that. (some are but not most) Even stranger when ya hear about one animal protecting another animal that is supposed to be their enemy or uhhh dinner choice. I'll stop on that subject or I'll go on forever lol

I do watch some of the programs on wildlife and did notice that about the birds. They really are beautiful. Have done a little bit of researching on the hummingbirds even and dependent on where you live....the colors of them are different. Maybe just doesn't take much to intrigue me. lol

hmmm learned something again. Didn't realize cockatoos were from Australia. Thank you very much for those links. Very intertesting.
    Your theory seems to make the most sense and will bet that's probably the reason.

Thank you again! I should be blushing but I'm not that kind of gal apparently.

I've always had a soft spot for wolves. I originally wanted to study play behavior in wolves but it's hard to work as a wildlife biologist when you have a soft heart so I decided to study crustaceans instead. You don't get emotionally attached to crustaceans like you would to a mammal or bird or reptile. Well -- most people don't.

The bird in the first video appears to be a sulfur crested cockatoo. My budgies loved it. LOL. They were calling out to the cockatoo.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread