Average Monthly Cost For Websites?
    Firstly, I'm sorry for posting this here if it's the wrong place.

I'm working on getting a website and I wanted to get a rough idea of what I'm looking at, and what's reasonable.

How much can I expect to pay monthly to have a website up and running. That would include domain name, hosting, set up fees (if any), autoresponder and other tools that make it useful and productive?

If you don't want to say how much you pay that is understandable, just answer yes of no to the following questions?

Is it possible to have a quality site for less than $20 a month?

If you want more than one site, do you have to pay extra for each additional site, which would double, triple, etc. the amount your paying for the first?

Thanks,
    Riverspirit

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    You posted in 'introduce yourself'

Yes, you can do it for $20 or less. You can always upgrade later if you need to.

Two suggestions:
    1) Read all you can read about the hosting company you are looking at. The big names are not always the best. Post here to see if anyone here has used them.
    2) Do NOT register you domain name with the same company you host your site at. This will make it much easyer to change host quickly.

Wink
    To register your domain name will be only a once a year fee.

The hosting will be a monthly fee.

I use http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml to host my sites. They are a very good hosting company.

Don't ever use free hosting. It sucks bad.

Haiko has a domain service where you can register your domain name. I not sure of the url. Maybe Trust or one of the other moderators can provide the url here for you.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Not sure you can relate quality of site to cost per month. You could have a great site and only pay $10 a month or less. On the other hand, you could be paying $100 a month and have a useless site.

I'd disagree on this

2) Do NOT register you domain name with the same company you host your site at. This will make it much easyer to change host quickly.

Whatever you do just make sure you have access and control over the domain. It does not matter who has it registered. As long as you have complete control and access you can change your hosting company in 5 minutes.

From somebody who has a hosting company ensure a couple of other technical things:

- The absolute best way to determine a hosting company is asking current customers. Period. Find out their strengths and weaknesses. EVERY company has weaknesses. If you know them up front you will be in good shape.

- That they have a good system of backups and that they are easy to get to

- Since you are going to be doing affiliate marketing I suggest you get a reseller account. This let's you host multiple sites at the same place. Your monthly cost is a little higher but you will end up saving in the long run

- Make sure you know how to get a hold of them after hours for support

- Make sure they have redundant servers and redundant DNS servers at physically different locations.

Patrick
    Last edited by PatrickAllmond; October 19th, 2007 at 10:13 AM. Reason: makin it better
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Eric,

(not going to hijack the thread but I do have a quick question)
    That comes out to $8 and change per month. Is that for hosting one account or multiple accounts?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I am very happy with my hosting company, Apollo Hosting. They are 100% USA based (sales, billing, support). Great deal for the money. See details here: Apollo Hosting

Good luck in your search,

-sfcom

Thanks Everyone
    I just now got a message that my post was answered. I thought it was just deleted since I put it in the wrong spot. I couldn't find it after it disappeared.

Thanks for all you imput.

Bluehost discussion split off to own thread at - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=96396
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Riverspirit
    How much can I expect to pay monthly to have a website up and running. That would include domain name, hosting, set up fees (if any), autoresponder and other tools that make it useful and productive?
    You shouldn't have to pay ANY setup fees for shared or reseller hosting. Even dedicated servers often come with no setup fees these days.

Autoresponders aren't always a good idea. Spammers love them.

Many hosts now include free site design tools for their customers.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread