Creating Store Location Directory
    I am creating a store directory on my (first) site and was wondering the best way to approach this.

There will be over 300+ listings of these specialty (independently owned) store locations as a free service to visitors to my website.

I initially starting inputing the info on one page of my site, alphabetically by state, and then was going to have an alpha list at the top of the page so people could click on a letter and automatically go to that state on that page.

My questions:

1. Since there are so many listings, would it be better to create one page per state, or is there a better approach.

2. I'm inputing all the info manually and its very time consuming. Is there any other way to do this? Can anyone recommend a source on the web where I can buy a specific store directory list and just download the info?

I'm trying to be conservative with my spending since this is my first site.

Jacque

You might look at using the Google Maps API. Here's a thread from another member who created a nice site with it:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=91991
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the info, Michael. I spent all weekend "cutting & pasting" from numerous sources and filling in the rest manually. I like the idea of the google maps though - I'll check into it.

I made one page on my site for each state, plus international countries - because the directory was so long. I hope this doesn't make my site slow to load - but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

This whole process has been alot of trial & error - but that's how I'm learning. - Plus all the great advice here.

Jacque

That Google Maps implementation is cool. I created a page with local landmarks for a neighborhood school - where I maintain a pro-bono site.

Feel free to take a peek: http://www.fsk.org/school/map.html

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread