Google Slap??
    Has anyone noticed a change in their adwords campaigns as of yesterday, primarily referring to the Google "slap" where they make all your bids sky high? I am wondering if google has implemented one lately or if I am just an unlucky target.... I find it quite coincidental that 8 days or so after I start using the conversion tracking feature I get hit with the slap.... My campaigns have been running strong for almost 5 months now...

Josh,

have you made any on page changes? did they tag you as an affiliate bridge?

I made some changes to my pages when I turned on the conversion tracking feature and switched merchants for the reason of actually being able to use googles conversion tracking to track my conversions on a keyword level to get rid of some of my under-performers. Do you think because of the changes is why I got hit? I have a new domain ready just incase this happened, I was just wondering if it was one of googles big slaps or if it was just my campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Has anyone noticed a change in their adwords campaigns as of yesterday, primarily referring to the Google "slap" where they make all your bids sky high? I am wondering if google has implemented one lately or if I am just an unlucky target.... I find it quite coincidental that 8 days or so after I start using the conversion tracking feature I get hit with the slap.... My campaigns have been running strong for almost 5 months now...
    Google is going through their "quality cleansing" fit again I guess. It seems they've been doing this to people in stages, for what seems like a year or so now, with no rhyme or reason. I've been hit twice, but (God forbid I say this) not again so far.

I've never had much luck (if any that I can think of) in actually fixing my sites/campaigns so that prices return to normal. I think it's Google's main way of saying "go away" as nicely as possible, b/c I crossed some invisible, and non-stated rule of theirs. Annoying.

edit: sorry, just ranting over their practices.

ABW Ambassador
    Haven't seen any threads on this anywhere else, so no major slapping like last time. Not sure if this is a continuous thing now of if they'll have some major ones like before.

What's an affiliate bridge?

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Just happened to me today. I looked at the Webmasterworld Google Adwords forum and there's nothing on it (yet). That forum usually lights up immediately when Google Slaps happen (a.k.a. Adwords Landing Page Quality Updates). The Adwords blog has nothing on it either.

Interesting that this happens right on the heels of:

1) Another Google stratospheric earnings report; and

2) Announcement in Adwords that it will be down for several hours tomorrow for maintenance.

Maybe as Trust said this is a small slap as opposed to a widespread slap. Anyone else seeing their domain(s) squelched to $5.00 and $10.00 minimum bids on all your best performing keywords throughout all campaigns whose ads' destination URLs are of the same slapped domain?

I didn't get hit as hard as the previous "slaps", but it looks like they shut off most of my good converting keywords and anything that had decent traffic. I will wait until after the update until I launch the campaigns again on new domains.

Is there a quicker way to do this other than making a completely new campaign and manually copying all your keywords and writing new ad text?

edit: sorry, just ranting over their practices.
    Dont worry about it. This quality score nonsense is pure stupidity on Google's part. There is no rhyme or reason to it and they never tell you how it is calculated and what can be done to improve upon it. I am surprised there is not a lawsuit over it yet because to me it seems like unfair business practices...

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't know if this is similar, but when I tested the adwords service I found that over a month my keywords went from a great quality score to an OK quality score and the prices doubled or tripled. I then suspended my campaign.

I got an e-mail from google asking what was wrong. I replied explaining and the reply back from them said that I have an ok quality score and that can be imrpoved... just didn't say how.

I think the problem is the CTR if your CTR is low, your quality score goes down with it therefore raising prices.

Do you have a low CTR?

in my eyes the quality scoring is a push by g to go direct to the merchants and it punishes those who have made g so profitable. They will push back the expansion of adwords at least temporarily as only bigger merchants are playing with any competence, thus the mom and pops and mid to low level affiliates are pushed out.

I spent more in one month on one campaign a few years back than i have in all of this year..if adwords is going to work for me it will require a whole new way of building pages to appease the mysterious Quality Score.

just my two cents

I tried to start a campaign that I thought would be pretty good in a niche area that had no competition (or very little based upon search results), and Google wanted... get this... $10 per click to START.

I don't think so.

the $10 a click "slap"
    I have been back and forth with Google about this after all of sudden ALL my keywords were set to $10. It didn't matter what keyword I used, even my own name was $10. The reason according to Google: my website(s) were low quality with no content and they were not unique.
    Actually my websites are high quality with a lot of content, but yes... they are not unique.
    This means that replicated websites cannot be used for Google Adwords. I was told to go elswhere.
    I had a lot of traffic with good conversions... Their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    What's an affiliate bridge?
    An affiliate bridging page is a page with little perceived visitor value (to Google) and with the sole purpose of moving the visitor from a Google ad to a merchant page.

ABW Ambassador
    "sole purpose of moving the visitor from a Google ad to a merchant page."

I would think then Google wouldn't allow any direct to merchant PPC. That's the sole purpose with that and even with affiliate landing pages but at least with those, there is more of a chance of some presell going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "sole purpose of moving the visitor from a Google ad to a merchant page."

I would think then Google wouldn't allow any direct to merchant PPC. That's the sole purpose with that and even with affiliate landing pages but at least with those, there is more of a chance of some presell going on.
    Google has a rule which disallows the display of two or more similar display URLs. One way around the rule was to put up a 1 page site with a different URL and use it as a bridge to the merchant. Apparently, they don't like that approach, and may look at the bridge as low quality regardless of how the affiliate looks at it.

Google allows DTM providing the merchant page meets their quality standards and they don't care who buys an ad and sends the traffic as long as the page / site meets the standards.

I had all my long running campaigns slapped every keyword with $10 bids a couple days ago. I was using simple landing pages to link to affiliate offers.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread