Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Swear at a Toilet - Go to Jail
    Whatever happened to freedom of speech, not to mention a homeowner's property rights: Woman Cited for Yelling, Cursing Toilet
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Wow. That's unreal.

Unreal.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

What the neighbor should have done is see how he could have helped. I doubt the police would have any responded if he hadn't been a cop. Just another example of abuse and waste of tax payers money.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    What the neighbor should have done is see how he could have helped. I doubt the police would have any responded if he hadn't been a cop. Just another example of abuse and waste of tax payers money.
    Just another example of petty power corrupting. Yes, the common sense thing would be to help the neighbor, obviously frustrated. The jails aren't full enough: let's see how to turn ordinary citizens into criminals. Pretty easy, no?
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    The jails aren't full enough: let's see how to turn ordinary citizens into criminals. Pretty easy, no?
    It's so symbolic: freedom of speech is going down the crapper.

I hope the judge sees this for what it is and just dismisses everything.

What's next having the police come because you've been overheard cursing at your computer... uh oh, I'd get a life sentence.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Oh, that is ridiculous.. Actually after thinking about it ...makes me mad....It's been like the wild west in Philly...instead of wasting money on something like that.....spend it on trying to fix the problems there.

Agree with knight01....... a bunch of us will be gettin taken away to the pokey. Can't actually believe this could even happen....really stupid.

Affiliate Manager
    Well that was a really crappy thing...

How's this for abuse of authority:

Back in 1998 when I went camping, on public state land, with some friends for a weekend. The first night there I went for a walk... I came up on this camp site full of people and this guy comes walking (more like strutting) up to me and asks me what I was doing. I just told him that I was going for a walk. He then pointed and says "you need to go that way to get back to your camping area."

So I started going that way and about 100 yards I realized it was the long way back so I turned around to go back the way I came... when I got back to that camp site that guy comes back and tells me he is a police officer and placing me under arrest for stalking. The cops came and took me off to the slammer for the night. I had to go back 3 weeks later for my court date and pay a $300 fine.

When I got home from my camping trip I called my local police and explained the situation to them and ask how the hell could they get away with that... They told me that if you show up 2 times unannounced, even in a public place, that is considered stalking.

I could have plead not guilty and probably got the charges dropped. But the thought of a 90 day jail sentence was pretty intimidating... Plus I had no faith in the judicial system after that happened to me.

That police office I bumped into was just a cop on a power trip showing off in front of his family and friends.

Chet, I can't believe you pled guilty or no contest to such a ridiculous charge. By doing so, idiots like this cop are just empowered to keep on stepping on people's rights.

Did you talk to a lawyer before pleading to the charge? I can't see how a lawyer would have recommended that.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Affiliate Manager
    Now that I look back at it I wish I did fight it... If I only knew then what I know now...
    At the time I was looking at things like having to make multiple trips to court (it was a 300 mile trip one way), the possible 90 day jail sentence, days off of work or even losing my job over it, etc...

The judicial system can be an intimidating thing for an innocent person!

My final 2¢: The judge taking your plea should have inquired into the factual basis of the plea and the facts of the case. If a competent judge who is on the bench to dispense justice had done so, he would not have accepted a gulty plea based on those facts. Unfortunately, arraignment courts are gererally swamped with cases, and most of the time the judges or commissioners assigned to them care about nothing more than clearing their calendars, with little regard for facts, guilt, or innocence.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Unfortunately, arraignment courts are gererally swamped with cases, and most of the time the judges or commissioners assigned to them care about nothing more than clearing their calendars, with little regard for facts, guilt, or innocence.
    They wouldn't be swamped if they'd stop hauling people in for swearing at their toilets and taking walks in the woods.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

As repugnant as these two instances are, it goes much deeper than that.

A report last year found the following:

A report released by the justice department on Nov. 30 reported 1 in every 32 American adults -- or a record 7 million people -- were incarcerated, on probation or on parole at the end of 2005, with 2.2 million of them in prison or jail. The International Center for Prison Studies at King's College, London reported that this number was the highest of any country, with China ranking second with 1.5 million prisoners, and Russia sitting in third with 870,000. The United States also has the highest incarceration rate at 737 per 100,000 people, compared to nearest country Russia's 611 per 100,000 and St. Kitts and Nevis' 547.
    There are several industries built around the "justice" system, dependant upon large numbers of people being put into the system. Drug testing companies and companies running private jails, among others, have substantial political influence, and the most powerful and influential union in Californa is the prison guard's union, that has controlled any efforts at prison reform in Californai for many years. They all feed off of the "law and order" mentality that propagates the necessity of keeping non-violent victimless personal activities illegal, resulting in these astounding numbers of arrests and prosecutions, and jail sentences.

Add to that the toilet-swearing and walking-in-woods-type cases, which are prosecuted in greater numbers than some might think, and the system is in shambles. All efforts at meaningful reform are ridiculed as being soft on crime and/or anti-American.

Moderators - I started this thread as a Daily Chuckle - perhaps it should be moved to Midnight Cafe.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread