Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Could someone please tell me what "site framing" is?
    Is it when you have a different URL in the address bar then what is displayed in the browser window? Or is it the direct implementation of using frames via html? If you want to see an example of what I am trying to figure out, please visit my site, babysittingpros*dot*com. I was not attempting to do anything wrong here, but I am constantly learning like everyone else. They have dropped me from their CJ program and since I haven't received an answer from them I was wondering your opinions.

Thanks,

-sfcom

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Is it when you have a different URL in the address bar then what is displayed in the browser window? Or is it the direct implementation of using frames via html? If you want to see an example of what I am trying to figure out, please visit my site, babysittingpros*dot*com. I was not attempting to do anything wrong here, but I am constantly learning like everyone else. They have dropped me from their CJ program and since I haven't received an answer from them I was wondering your opinions.

Thanks,

-sfcom
    I looked at your source code.

It's because you're bring up their site using a frame. Your page has no content or anything at all.

All your page has is:

Code:
    <FRAMESET ROWS="*,0">
    <FRAME SRC="http://www.************/click-xxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx" NORESIZE>
    <NOFRAMES>
    Your browser does not support frames.
    </NOFRAMES>
    </FRAMESET>
    You do not really have a website. All you're doing is loading the merchant's site via a frame. When it loads you are force setting their cookie - also know of as cookie stuffing.

Merchants DO NOT allow this.

You have to have a real page of your own with content of your own with a clickable link to the merchant so people visiting your page have a choice about whether they want to click the link to the merchant or not.

Frameing the merchant page is a forced click without your customer having any choice at all about visiting the merchant. COOKIE STUFFING.

You need to redo all of your pages or you will be removed by any merchant that you have if all of your pages are like this.

The network where the merchants are will cancel your affiliate account also.

You know which network I'm talking about - the one where you got the merchant link to frame it.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Wink
    Something else you might like to know.

You will never have any traffic sent to your site by SEs when your pages are like this.

SEs DO NOT read the contents of a frame. To a SE your page is a blank page with nothing on it. It will never appear in the results in any SE - meaning no traffic to your site at all.

A SE looks for the content on your page when it crawls it. It saves the content - and when a search is done your page appears in the SE results if you have content on the page that matches the term searched for in the SE.

Do a search on your favorite SE and then view the source code on the first two or three top results.

Study their source code to see what their pages are like that enabled them to rank high in search results and then try to pattern your pages similiar to their's but using your own content and ideals. DO NOT just copy their pages.

If you just copy their pages and content you still will not get good SE results because your page will just be a duplicate of their's.

Look at their meta tags in the head of the pages. Your page needs to have all of the elements in it that they have - but in your own words and ideas.

I see. When I set up the hosting on this I figured since there was no actual html that I used, it would be fine. The Plesk interface asked for the URL to forward the domain to and that is where I put my CJ affiliate URL. Although I didn't understand it at the time and saw it as a way to get my commissions tracked correctly, I now understand what you are saying. I am not trying to mislead anyone. I apologize if it looks like I was, but that was not my intent. I used it on AdWords and an eBay classified ad campaign and didn't want to use the CJ affiliate URL as either the display URL or in the eBay listing text. The way around this was to set up a domain that had something to do with the info I was connecting the users to and then have that forward to my CJ affiliate URL, and then ultimately go to the merchant's site. Now that I know this is against the rules, I have pulled it from my site and eBay classified ads both.

So, I guess my question would now be----what is the generally accepted method for display URLs on AdWords for publishers? From what I gather, most merchants don't want you to use their URL as the display URL, so that leaves you either the option of your affiliate URL (which is unbelievably unattractive) or one that you register and forward (not frame forward) that is more attractive. If I am wrong, please let me know. Thanks for your help so far.

-sfcom

So, I guess my question would now be----what is the generally accepted method for display URLs on AdWords for publishers? From what I gather, most merchants don't want you to use their URL as the display URL, so that leaves you either the option of your affiliate URL (which is unbelievably unattractive) or one that you register and forward (not frame forward) that is more attractive. If I am wrong, please let me know. Thanks for your help so far.
    Your job as an affiliate is to create a website that will give the user information regarding the product or service from your merchants. Do NOT forward the users onto the merchant site, this is another form of cookie stuffing. Give your visitors the chance to click a link that will take them to the merchant site.

Wink
    You will have to build your own html landing pages on your own site with clickable links to the merchants or merchants products.

Sent your adwords to your own page containing your own information.

Go here and search for - landing pages - in their search box on the left hand side of their page. http://www.practicalecommerce.com/

And here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+landing+pages

Does this answer your question??

The way I saw it, my job as an affiliate is to provide internet exposure for the company I am advertising for. It was not like I was taking people from an AdWords ad that had to do with CD players to a merchant's site that sells clothing. I just used some generic ad text that applied to the merchant and that I don't consider that as lying to or misleading the customer. Some publishers that do the CPC campaigns just have a better ad copy then even the merchants they represent. As long as you are getting the customer to their site, and are not outbidding the merchant themselves, then mission accomplished, right?

-sfcom

Thanks for your help BurgerBoy. I registered a domain the other day, burgersale*dot*c and think I will do what you say there. I was going to use it to advertise for Omaha Steaks hamburgers. Please let me know any thoughts and how I might do it to appeal to all (merchant, customers, AdWords, and others).

-sfcom

Wink
    Wrong

You have to follow Google's and the merchants guidelines or you are wrong.

The merchants and networks say - NO FRAMES.

Google's guide lines are http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...n&answer=46675

If you don't follow Google's guidelines they will ban your ads, landing pages and site and they say you have to have a website and your own landing pages.

Wink
    Thanks for your help BurgerBoy. I registered a domain the other day, burgersale*dot*c and think I will do what you say there. I was going to use it to advertise for Omaha Steaks hamburgers. Please let me know any thoughts and how I might do it to appeal to all (merchant, customers, AdWords, and others).

-sfcom
    Go here and see what others are doing. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

You can do your own searches on Google and then click through some of the adword ads and other links and find and see for yourself what works and doesn't work.

Study pages and see what they did and why they came up number 1, 2, or 3 and etc.

The way I saw it, my job as an affiliate is to provide internet exposure for the company I am advertising for.
    Yes, but not by forcing visitors to their site. You have to give them the information they are looking for, and let them decide if they want to visit the merchant site or not.
    As long as you are getting the customer to their site, and are not outbidding the merchant themselves, then mission accomplished, right?
    No, the way you were doing it was wrong, and can get you banned.

Adwords is something you don't want to play around with, especially if your not familiar with how things work. You can get way in over your head really quick, and before you know it, you've spent hundreds of dollars and have only gotten a few sales.

The best thing to do is create a website that gives the visitor information by pre-selling.

The frames have been officially removed from my "bag of tricks" now that I know they are looked upon as bad as popups. Again, I thought that doing the setup through my hosting provider was different then a regular "site framing" done via manual HTML. My mistake.

I will read up on the landing pages some more and see what I can do for the new site.

-sfcom

I thought site framing is when everybody got together to conspire against and set it up to make the site look like it did something wrong when in truth it was a different site that did it. Everybody pointed their finger at the site but it was doing it's job. But a site had to take the fall, and that site was it.

Coffee!
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Wink
    You need to build a real site with as many pages as you can.

You want sales to come from SE results.

If you have a 1 page site you have 1 chance of coming up in SE results.

If you have a 1,000 page site - and all of the pages are different - meta tags and everything - you have 1,000 chances of coming up in SE results.

Which had you rather have - 1 chance or 1,000 chances.

Hey, BB... So you think it is best to build like about.c0m has, a bazillion pages on one domain by using sub domains? Or would you be better off having different domains for every category (music, computers, etc.). I thought by doing the Burgersale registration that the search engines might have a better time finding me then if I had done "grillfood.c" "burgers.grillfood.c" "steaks.grillfood.c", etc.

-sfcom

Wink
    No - don't do sub-domains.

If you have a page with the product that was searched for that comes up good for a search for that product and was designed just for that product - the domain name makes no difference at all.

At least it never has on my sites.

Just have the one site and domain but have a lot of different pages in that one domain with links to each section or page on each page. You know - site navigation links on the left - right - top - bottom or whatever.

SE follow links to page from your index page or sitemap or etc.

They have to be able to follow links from your index page to all of your pages to be able to find all of the pages on your site to index them.

No links to them - the SEs don't know that they are there.

You also want your site navigation to be real simple for your customers so they can go to any page on your site from any page on your site.

You never know what page will come up from a search result and you want your vistors to be able to go to every page from that page.

You know. They land on a page in the category dolls. They are looking for teddy bears. On the left side of the dolls category page is a link to the teddy bears category page and to all of your other categories. They click on it and end up on the teddy bear category page.

On that page is a list of links to different teddy bear merchants, brands, and your products pages that you want them to buy from. Also on that page on the left in navigation is a list of links to all of your category pages plus to the home page.

You also need a search engine on your site for just your site. I have one and it is used all the time to go directly to what they want without having to click all through your site to find what they want. They're lazy. The easier it is for your customers to find what they want - the more customers you'll have and they'll keep coming back. The easiest for them is a search box on every page on your site that gives results only from your site.

A good free SE with NO ads is http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/

I use it on all of my sites.

Look at your merchants sites - they have all of these things. You need for your site to be designed like they design theirs - good navigation and a SE to make it easy for your customers to find what they want.

You get the idea.

Wink
    The only way I break domains down is kinda by category.

If I want to sell collectibles - I use a domain like Best collectibles . com or whatever I can find available.

Then I sell all different kinds of collectibles on that one domain.

If I want a site about cooking products - Use A domain name like Best Cooking Information . com.

On that I would sell grills, pots, pans, microwaves, have tons of free recipies, kitchen gadgets, cook books, and soforth. Anything related to cooking.

Know what I mean Vern?

Wink
    Nobody here is going to let you see their sites and what they have. Some day you will be our competitor or you already are.

I will give you general ideas of what you need to do - but - it is up to you to use your own imagination - do some research and look at what sites do that rank high in SEs - and form and use your own ideals of how to design your own site to meet the gereral requirements of what a site needs to have to end up having good results with your site.

Gotcha Ernest! Boy, it has been a while since I saw those movies...

No biggie on those not showing who they are or what they have. I understand. But I have also noticed that many at this forum are quite transparent in everything they do, and for that I applaud them. I wasn't asking what sites you own but I do appreciate your advice so far.

-sfcom

It's a bad practice all the way around. There used to be some legitimate uses of it years ago, but too many problems have since surfaced.

1) Customers hate frames.
    2) Most merchants and networks don't allow framing.
    3) Depending on the browser, security settings, and P3P configuration, the cookie may not work if you frame the affiliate link.
    4) There are security considerations.
    5) It can be deceptive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    No - don't do sub-domains.
    What's wrong with sub-domains?

I like sub-domains especially if a domain name itself is very general.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What's wrong with sub-domains?

I like sub-domains especially if a domain name itself is very general.
    I think he was talking about using a sub-domain like for every product.

Yep, I was talking about using the subdomains as a kind of "dewey decimal system". As a way to categorize products, say like cereal.breakfastfood.c, then using different directories after that. i.e.: cereal.breakfastfood.c*m/cornflakes.***

-sfcom

Yep, I was talking about using the subdomains as a kind of "dewey decimal system". As a way to categorize products, say like cereal.breakfastfood.c, then using different directories after that. i.e.: cereal.breakfastfood.c*m/cornflakes.***

-sfcom
    You can do that but you don't need frames to implement that.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OK....well the thread split into two different topics here---frames and subdomains. Maybe my fault. Sorry.

-sfcom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast