Gift Cards
    Is there a person out there that can help me find a closed end gift card solution for my online mall that would turn into an open end gift card that could be used at any of my advertisers?

the only thing u can do is give a rebate and split your commission with the consumer in a form of a gift card, it may work?

I have multiple store fronts where I want to sell gift cards to my online mall these gift cards would be used at various merchants that are on my site so in essence what I want to do is creat my own gift card that is only good at my site and then once you login or register the gift the it would be good any where? I don't know if I was clear in the last post I hope this is better

() billion dollar market place who has a solution
    the gift card market is being corned all a course the net what can we do to start to creat virtual gift cards that can be used at mulitple merchants like any of affilates so in essence I am talking abt a closed end gift card that converts to an open end gift card that is redeemable at any online store front

Lightbulb 90 billion spent on gift cards
    My last post was a little hard to read because I didn't read through it and I went offline for a minute and came back and I couldn't edit, But what I meant to say was this last year americans spent 90 billion dollars on gift cards and many merchants are using gift cards for many reason but all them really point to a bigger bottom line. I was wondering when we as affliates are going to be able to market gift cards to our sites? these could be used in a virtual setting via email where a person could download video, audio or graphix that would personalize the gift then by hitting a link go back to our websites where they could register the gift card and then it would become open ended and usable at any merchant. I think this could really open us all up to allot more money. has anyone looked into this at all or have any suggestions as to where I could begin my search for a virtual gift card company.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by awte
    ... last year americans spent 90 billion dollars on gift cards...
    Where did you get this figure? That seems extremely high. USA Today says it's a lot less.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Wink
    There has already been a thread here about gift cards. A lot of merchants here have them in their datafeeds.

And guess what - THEY WON'T PAY YOU COMMISSION ON THEM.

They only pay commissions on product sales but not on gift card sales because they say it is not a sale because it is to be used at a later date.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

no you have it all wrong I am not talking about other merchant gift cards I am talking about your website' gift cards so you could send a person anywhere a gift card to your site so if you where www.greatdealsonbread.com and your merchants sold bread the gift card purchaser would send the gift card and the person that recieves it would come back to your site to purchase but in the mean time you are holding the funds and depending on what state you are you able to charge the gift card a fee aftr 30-90 days

TowerGroup says it "expects gift cards to be a major hit again this holiday season. Combined gift card sales in the U.S. will exceed US$80 billion in 2006 -- a more than 20% increase over their 2005 level -- with the breakdown by segment as follows: Retail, $29 billion; Restaurant / Fast Food, $18 billion; Miscellaneous (gas, services, etc.), $12 billion, Universally accepted (i.e., bank-issued), $23 billion." TowerGroup notes that the unused value on these cards, often referred to as "breakage" in the payments industry, has a bigger impact on consumers than the combined total of both debit and credit card fraud.

sorry can't find the last research item this tower group has it at 80 billion but from my understanding there is abt 25billion spent on the holidays alone

I read the article "well I scanned it " I believe they are talking about a study that concluded that 25 billion would be spent in the holiday season this year 18 billion in the holiday season last year this is only 1/4 of the overall gift card spending

They already have those gift-credit cards, and also there's the super-certificates.

I don't think there is such a thing. You'd somehow need relationships with the merchants that would track such a thing, and trust you to track it too. Unless you're a Citibank, or Paypal, or another large financial institution, getting that kind of relationship with larger merchants would probably be very difficult.

Mastercard already has a "universal gift card". I can be used anyplace that accepts mastercard, which is pretty much everywhere in the world. I don't think you can get any better than that.

ABW Ambassador
    So does Visa, Discover, American Express etc. And some of them have affiliate programs for them, I know Visa and Discover do specifically for them and the others might pay on them also, not sure.

yes but what I am looking for is a closed end solution that is only good at my site until you convert it to an open by a register or some login option then I can market the gift card to my site without the funds being spent other places with your solution the cards can be used anywhere which really does an affilate marketer no good

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Sounds like a fraud setup. Why would I pay you $50 when you are not the store unless you were an Amazon?

this is no good for us because if we spend the money to market the gift cards and they are good anywhere what good does that do me when the purpose is to drive people back to my site I am talking about a card that would be sold to my site and then once you registered the card the user would then be able to use it at mutilple merchants this would give me the abilty house the funds not spent charge the gift cards after a few months and make money off the purchaseing with the commission

well what about the loyal site customers we all have that would like to share there site experience with there friends or family by purchaseing a gift card for them I can see a world right around the corner when you recieve a virtual gift card with video pictures and audio from those that care about you the programer that makes this technogy available to all the affilate marketers out there would be cornering a huge market place thar just doesn't excist right now are you that person ?

what if you were IGIVE?

where do you get the program for super certificates?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    iGive is a parasite so I would expect them to come up with something like this. No one said you couldn't do this. Get yourself a merchant account, shopping cart and knock yourself out! You will have to have a pretty powerful site to instill the trust for someone to purchase your gift certificates, then you will have to have the negotiated deals with all the merchants who are going to allow you to purchase when a customer uses a card. Plus, how do you propose to bridge the gap when they purchase over the card amount, split shopping carts?

I can help you with both closed and open-loop gift cards. Feel free to call me!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread