Story developing at Drudge

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Yup I saw that too.

Check this out:
    Yahoo Develops Better Anti-Spam Technology:
    http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/2108281

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

OK here's the srory.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/030312/72/38u45.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Won't this take a bite out of the parasites' keisters?

We use pop-ups but not all that much, I believe.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    OK here's the story.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/030312/72/38u45.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Won't this take a bite out of the parasites' keisters?

We use pop-ups but not all that much, I believe.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    It all depends how they "block" the popups.

Maybe they block all javascript open() commands?

Maybe they block popups coming from known ad serving networks (qksrv.net etc)?

I hope they directly target the process that Gator and WhenU use.

Now it will be interesting to see if MSN offers something since they are competing with AOL for users.

I would bet that within 2 weeks, MSN makes an announcement along the same lines.

Earthlink, AOL, Google, MSN(?)...looks like a stampede.

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe they are going to charge for popups in the future.

carneol

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They can block all popups including those spawned by the merchants to capture addressesfor e-mail followup mailings without hurting my feelings at all. One -two punch to knock out all the BHO popups and the Opt-Out marketers & die hard spammers.

Basically I'm all for it if eBates WhenU, Gator and others can't generate a popup on other folks domains.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

That's pretty much my take on it. I think this could be a death blow to parasites, for now. At least, it will greatly cripple them.

I think we need to totally throw our support behind this and pressure others to do the same.

ABW Ambassador
    This wont kill the parasites but it will likely make them become more predatory again.... As we all know, they don't have to issue a popup to overwrite a cookie!

... of course, this will be sophisticated enough to not block all the legitimate uses of "pop-up" windows won't it?

Contextual help, forms, oh - and opening links in a new window. None of us do that, do we

I haven't seen a popup killer yet that doesn't need extensive training (that most people won't do) to become even half-useful. If we remember that 99.99% of the world doesn't give a d@mn about affiliate marketing, and AOL certainly has no interest in any ads other than it's own, I suggest we should be worried about anything that intervenes in the "average" surfers online surfing behaviour.

Are you Crazy?

Apparently it will block AOL's own pop-ups also. So I hear. This can be an industry changing move if AOL subscribers adopt the pop-up killer.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW

Right off the AOL interface:

Dear Member,

With all-new AOL Web Pop-Up Controls, you now have a new way to take control of Internet pop-up ads that drive all of us crazy. You told us to "stop the pop," and we listened.

With AOL Web Pop-Up Controls, you can block those annoying ads automatically as you move around Internet Web sites -- no more extra windows distracting you and filling up your screen. The Pop-Up Controls icon will appear at the bottom of every Web page, making it easy for you to:

· Turn the controls on or off with a single click.
    · Set the controls to specifically allow pop-ups from individual sites.
    · Review the pop-ups that have been blocked.

You'll even see a running tally of how many pop-ups have been blocked during each online session.

You will receive this new tool over the next few days in an automatic update when you log off of the service. But if you don't want to wait, go to AOL Keyword: Pop-Up Controls to download it now.

In addition to the new Web Pop-Up Controls, AOL also has been taking other steps to reduce pop-ups on the service. Last fall, we announced that we would no longer accept pop-up ads from outside companies once our current obligations were completed, and over the past month, we've significantly reduced the overall volume of pop-ups on the service.

We've launched AOL Web Pop-Up Controls as part of our renewed commitment to responding to members' concerns. This is one in a continuing series of improvements to the service that we're introducing this year. Stay tuned for more, like new spam-fighting features, improved connectivity and more personalization and control than ever before.

We're working harder than ever to respond to your concerns and make AOL work better for you, and we thank you for continuing to let us know what you like and don't like. Members' tremendous response to the Tell Us buttons around the service is helping us focus on improvements like Web Pop-Up Controls and the spam-fighting efforts we recently told you about. Keep in touch, and we'll keep working to make AOL an even better experience for you.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread