Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    California Wildfires
    Have any of you been watching the news about the California wildfires? I have family that have already voluntarily evacuated. Fires are burning just a few miles from their home.

For all of you who may be near the fire zones, stay safe! Remember, things can be replaced. People can't.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Here are some maps of the active fires:

This one is intermittently down due to high traffic:
    http://activefiremaps.fs.fed.us/acti...maps&rCode=cgb

San Diego
    http://media.signonsandiego.com/fires/
    Last edited by meadowmufn; October 22nd, 2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: update
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

We are pretty safe where we are, except for all of the ash and smoke. Thanks for your prayers and concerns meadow!

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I watched it all day yesterday, from 7:00 am, and intermittently since. I've lived in LA County my entire life and never remember so many major fires at one time. Apropos was 60 Minutes yesterday and their story on how wildfires throughout the country have been so much worse the past few years due to global warming.

My best friend lives in Malibu, 2 canyons to the west from where the Malibu fire started. The fire moved east, so he, his family, pets, and house, have been ok. He worked for 30 years at Hughes Research Laboratory, right next to Pepperdine University (where he also taught at one time) and that facility lost a couple of small buildings.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    He worked for 30 years at Hughes Research Laboratory, right next to Pepperdine University (where he also taught at one time) and that facility lost a couple of small buildings.
    I've been on the Pepperdine campus a few times and I've driven through there when there were actively burning fires. It was kind of surreal. This was a few decades or so ago though.

We used to get ash from the fires around LA at my parent's house in the South Bay fairly frequently.

We drove through Mailbu on our way home from Corona on Saturday night, right before the fires started. So eery really, it smelled like smoke as we were driving through and stopped for gas about 9 pm., very close to Pepperdine, although, they say, the fires didnt start until somewhere between 3 and 5 am. Hum....

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBDM
    We drove through Mailbu on our way home from Corona on Saturday night, right before the fires started. So eery really, it smelled like smoke as we were driving through and stopped for gas about 9 pm., very close to Pepperdine, although, they say, the fires didnt start until somewhere between 3 and 5 am. Hum....

Sandee
    One TV news reporter said she spoke to a Pepperdine professor who told her that he first smelled smoke around midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    We used to get ash from the fires around LA at my parent's house in the South Bay fairly frequently.
    Here, in the east San Gabriel Valley, we've gotten considerable ash from many previous wildfires, from 30 miles away or more, but all of the fires going now are far enough away that we haven't gotten any. Probably because while many areas of LA County have been experiencing Santa Ana winds of up to 50-60 MPH, we've had very little wind here yet.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

I read that the San Diego Wild Animal Park is threatened by the fires and they're working to evacuate animals.

I read that the San Diego Wild Animal Park is threatened by the fires and they're working to evacuate animals.
    I haven't seen or heard about evacuating the animals, but that would be the San Pasqual Valley Fire that they say started when a transformer exploded. The San Diego Wild Animal Park is a fabulous place that I've visited several times. How in the world do you evacuate herds of wild animals and where do you take them?

I was able to see all of those fires on my connecting flight to LAX last night. Very scary stuff, and visible from probably well over 100 miles away.

It's amazing what havoc those strong winds have brought, as it was easily notable that the fires had a lot of space between them. Smoldering items blown in the wind for miles, starting new ones every so often.

Really a shame, and I wish all our friends there a safe week.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I haven't seen or heard about evacuating the animals, but that would be the San Pasqual Valley Fire that they say started when a transformer exploded. The San Diego Wild Animal Park is a fabulous place that I've visited several times. How in the world do you evacuate herds of wild animals and where do you take them?
    I love the Wild Animal Park. We used to have annual membership to it and the Zoo when we lived in California. I think they're mostly focusing on evacuating endangered and threatened species like the California condors.

ABW Ambassador
    We are close but safe
    Irvine fire is 5 miles West and moving West at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Irvine fire is 5 miles West and moving West at this time.
    Is it anywhere near UC Irvine (my alma mater)? I heard Jamboree Rd. was closed, but the report didn't specify where.

Update
    Most of LA County's fires have some degree of containment today, except for the Lake Arrowhead fires that alone have now destroyed more than 125 homes.

The total for all fires is now over 1200 home destroyed.

Orange County is still in terrible shape, but the the worst is San Diego county where over 500,000 people have been evacuated, and 20+ people injured.

Winds are worse in many areas today, and we now have ash here, more than 40 miles from the nearest fire.

Word is also just in that a second person has now died due to the wildfires.

Just saw that the Wild Animal Park has been damaged, including the California Condor Breeding Area, but they say no animals have been injured.

meadowmufn - UC Irvine is ok, campus is open and classes in session.
    Also, as an aside, have you been to the Northwest Trek Wild Animal Park in Eatonville, WA? We went there earlier this year while visiting our daughter in Seattle. Pretty nice place, but not the same as SD Wild Animal Park.

Just saw that the Wild Animal Park has been damaged, including the California Condor Breeding Area, but they say no animals have been injured.

meadowmufn - UC Irvine is ok, campus is open and classes in session.
    Also, as an aside, have you been to the Northwest Trek Wild Animal Park in Eatonville, WA? We went there earlier this year while visiting our daughter in Seattle. Pretty nice place, but not the same as SD Wild Animal Park.
    No, I haven't been to Northwest Trek yet, but my sister's family has. It's on our list of things to do with them eventually.

Is the fire under control in the Wild Animal Park area? I've heard about 70 homes in nearby Escondido have been destroyed. I have some relatives that live just north of the Wild Animal Park in the Escondido/San Marcos area. It looks like the fires have been moving in a southerly direction, so hopefully they're ok.

I just heard an interview with a SD Wild Animal Park/Zoo spokesperson. They have firebreaks around the park and have moved critically endangered and smaller animals into the fire resistant park hospital. The larger herd animals, however, are still in their large enclosures. They're safe for now, but the park is surrounded by fire. Fire is also headed towards the zoo.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Man, I've either lived in or spent a lot of time in every one of those areas

Usually, when they show an expensive house with a fire creeping up into the back yard at the Bouquet Canyon fire, those who live there know there are a finite number of homes in the canyon

But all these canyon fires have reached actual neighborhoods - where everyone else lives

There's a shot in today's paper with the flames heading to Magic Mountain - I lived 2 blocks away

It's scary

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Mack... there's one in OC too???

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Man, I've either lived in or spent a lot of time in every one of those areas

Usually, when they show an expensive house with a fire creeping up into the back yard at the Bouquet Canyon fire, those who live there know there are a finite number of homes in the canyon

But all these canyon fires have reached actual neighborhoods - where everyone else lives

There's a shot in today's paper with the flames heading to Magic Mountain - I lived 2 blocks away

It's scary
    It was so surreal to see pictures of helicopters dropping water on burning areas and seeing Magic Mountain in the background. We used to go there quite often and we'd fish at nearby Castaic Lake on occasion.

Billy, here's a map to all the current and contained fires in CA.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...05518&z=8&om=0

Is the fire under control in the Wild Animal Park area? I've heard about 70 homes in nearby Escondido have been destroyed. I have some relatives that live just north of the Wild Animal Park in the Escondido/San Marcos area. It looks like the fires have been moving in a southerly direction, so hopefully they're ok.
    Not getting much specific info about San Diego area here, but that whole area has been in danger. Rancho Bernardo, south of Escondido and the Park, has suffered the most damage in that general area, but homes have been lost in Escondido. Hope your friends are ok.

Not getting much specific info about San Diego area here, but that whole area has been in danger. Rancho Bernardo, south of Escondido and the Park, has suffered the most damage in that general area, but homes have been lost in Escondido. Hope your friends are ok.
    I know folks in the Vista, Carlsbad, and Del Mar areas too. Sounds like they're ok for now, but with the intense winds, they're still on alert. Being born and raised in California, I'm so used to "fire season", but man... this year just seems so much worse than in previous years.

It was sad to see a SD reporter actually in front of his own home reporting on it burning down. Fortunately, everyone in the neighborhood got out ok.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    wow, Im looking the news now, looks crazy out there, hope all can stay safe and are far away.

The evacuation orders for Carlsbad have been lifted, but it looks like most of Escondido is under mandatory evacuation. We can't get ahold of my uncle, so I'm assuming he's already evacuated. A lot of landmarks I've known since childhood are in the expected burn zone, including the cemetery where most of my family is buried. It's not the end of the world, but it's still kind of distressing.

I'm hoping I can find more news on what's going on in Escondido. If any of you can find something, please chime in.

The evacuation orders for Carlsbad have been lifted, but it looks like most of Escondido is under mandatory evacuation. We can't get ahold of my uncle, so I'm assuming he's already evacuated. A lot of landmarks I've known since childhood are in the expected burn zone, including the cemetery where most of my family is buried. It's not the end of the world, but it's still kind of distressing.

I'm hoping I can find more news on what's going on in Escondido. If any of you can find something, please chime in.
    The Red Cross attempts to register all evacuees so relatives can locate them. There is information here on their registration website and telephone numbers to call to locate those who have registered. Here is their "Safe and Well List", but it appears to have only a small fraction of the evacuees are listed.

Many in San Diego county have gone to Qualcom Stadium, and I heard that everyone there is registered so they can be located, but I did not hear who is doing the registration or how to access their list.

Good luck and hope all is well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast