When Popshops is down...
    When it is down, I can't open any pages with popshops stores on my site because it keeps trying to pull the javascript Today this happened briefly. I could not open the popshops site or pages on my site that had popshops stores, and I had two other people try ( in different areas of the country) with the same result. When my site can't pull javascript it just keeps on trying. Is there a way to fix it so if your site goes down OR if the store tries to pull javacode for more than X amount of time it will simply not load or does that have to be done on my end? I don't know anything about techie stuff so if this is impossible I understand, lol!

By the way, I LOVE popshops and highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it. I have had them up for many months with NO problems at all and I am seeing higher conversions with many of the merchants I have a popshop posted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne

By the way, I LOVE popshops and highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it. I have had them up for many months with NO problems at all and I am seeing higher conversions with many of the merchants I have a popshop posted for.
    Ditto! I'm getting a lot more organic search traffic too.

Perhaps we could have the option to redirect to another URL if PopShops is down? Or is there someway PopShops could set a variable that I could check for in PHP and display my own code/banners/products if PopShops is down?
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I am definitely a bit concerned about "down time." Right now, none of my PopShops sites are working properly (and I can't access www.popshops.com).

ABW Ambassador
    Same here

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    hmm ... I was wondering what was happening...
    I was just working in PopShops when it stopped responding.
    I thought I was doing something wrong.

If you set your website up to cache pages at least it will load, but as soon as someone clicks on a link it will get stuck trying to load PopShops.
    Last edited by lostdeviant; November 17th, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: idea

My PHP-based sites are loading (slowly) now, but my one ASP site is still generating an error message (one obvious possiblity is that the timeout setting is shorter on this server):
    msxml3.dll error '800c0005'
    The system cannot locate the resource specified.
    /index.asp, line 47

Edit 1: Now my PHP sites are timing out also.
    Edit 2: And a moment later, they load quickly.
    Edit 3: The PHP pages load quickly, but all clickthroughs fail.

ABW Ambassador
    My PHP shops are still down.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I can't log in to PopShops. It just times out.
    I Tried opening a post that has PHP code included and everything loaded EXCEPT the Popshops code.

Popshops is still down

Can't log into Popshops. None of my sites work. Hope no one was planning to buy tonight. Pretty upset, actually.

Bad time for this to be happening. Wondering if it's going to hold up through Cyber Monday. Popshops needs to be able to make it go directly through to the merchant instead of through Popshops so this crap doesn't happen.

ABW Ambassador
    Able to login at PopShops and all my PHP shops seems to be working now.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Good reason to load the shops using HTML - while HTML is not auto updating and more work, it does give you complete control over what's happening on your own pages.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Good reason to load the shops using HTML - while HTML is not auto updating and more work, it does give you complete control over what's happening on your own pages.
    Actually, since the links are directed through PopShops, that's not wholly true. I use HTML on my Squidoo pages along with popshops. The links were not working because they were attempting to go through Popshops tracking link first.

Anyway, Pops is working now.

PLEASE: Email support with important issues
    Hey everyone,

I think of at ABW as being a community that can answer general questions, but if a huge issue comes up like the site being down, PLEASE email support. A support email goes to a number of people, most of whom don't monitor ABW.

Sorry for these issues. We're going over the logs and see if we can prevent it from happening again.

JessieJ

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Not that you can't post here on ABW as well. Sometimes some of your fellow ABW folks might have an answer to a simple "how to" question. But when it is a serious problem emailing support with a description of the problem and your account information will allow us at PopShops to fix the issue that much faster.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

Oh, of course...this is a great resource. But I want to make sure we know the issues asap and a support ticket is the fastest way to a developer's eyeballs.

JessieJ

Is it just me, or has Popshops been slow as Christmas yesterday and today?

lol kellyfilm, nice reference. PopShops has indeed been experiencing sporadic downtime. Our engineers have identified the issue and are working on implementing a work around currently. It should make things far more stable through the rest of the holidays.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Djambazov
    PopShops has indeed been experiencing sporadic downtime. Our engineers have identified the issue and are working on implementing a work around currently.
    Hi Angel, do you know how long will the downtime last? I couldn't save anything since last night(around 1AM ET). Seems like the problem still not fixed yet.

I'm keep getting this message: "We ran into some problems and couldn't save your shop preferences. Please try again. If you continue to see this message technical support has already been contacted and is working on the problem"

Really need to work on the shops ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    Hi Angel, do you know how long will the downtime last? I couldn't save anything since last night(around 1AM ET). Seems like the problem still not fixed yet.

I'm keep getting this message: "We ran into some problems and couldn't save your shop preferences. Please try again. If you continue to see this message technical support has already been contacted and is working on the problem"

Really need to work on the shops ASAP.
    Hi Mayfly,

Although intermitent downtimes may still continue while the engineers are fixing things, PopShops currently is up an running.

The problem you are running into doesn't seem to a sitewide issue since it is particularly addressing shop preferences. Go ahead and PM me your technical support ticket info and I will make sure it is expedited with our engineers.

Angel
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Djambazov
    Hi Mayfly,

Although intermitent downtimes may still continue while the engineers are fixing things, PopShops currently is up an running.

The problem you are running into doesn't seem to a sitewide issue since it is particularly addressing shop preferences. Go ahead and PM me your technical support ticket info and I will make sure it is expedited with our engineers.

Angel
    Thanks for reply, Angel.

I didn't send email to support until now because it says on the message "If you continue to see this message technical support has already been contacted and is working on the problem"

I thought there are other people running into the same problem and the technical support are working on it so I don't want to push them too much.

I've sent an eamil to support at popshops.com. Once I get the support ticket, I will PM you.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    It seems to be down again now

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    Thanks for reply, Angel.

I didn't send email to support until now because it says on the message "If you continue to see this message technical support has already been contacted and is working on the problem"

I thought there are other people running into the same problem and the technical support are working on it so I don't want to push them too much.

I've sent an eamil to support at popshops.com. Once I get the support ticket, I will PM you.
    PM recieved. I pushed the query to our head engineer to help you get things to where you need them.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews

ABW Ambassador
    Angel, it's all fixed. Thank you and your support team .

I've been thinking about this... Is there a way you could set a variable and those of us that use PHP or ASP could then check that variable. If the variable is empty, we'll know PopShops is down and then we can dynamically insert alternate content on that page. Is that workable?
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Meadowmuffin, this comes from Dan:

PHP users can use CURL and set their own timeout.

CURLOPT_TIMEOUT

They would set it like this:

curl_setopt($shop, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 2);

This example should make it timeout after 2 seconds.

JessieJ

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread