Question Please Help me! (Datafeed Format)
    Hello-
    I'm new and dumb!!! Please help me with my simple question!
    (I read many threads about datafeed formats,
    but still couldn't understand any of them!)

This is what I found out from linkshare/rc
    Linkshare datafeed is in in XML format, zipped
    and published to my affiliate FTP account. Correct?

What about CJ and Performics?
    they are also in XML format???

The Linkshare datafeeds I get are pipe-delimited text files (zipped up) - LS puts them in a special folder for me on their server [in reality, they put a link to the file where I wget it and it sends me the text file]. CJ takes all of the pipe-delimited text files I am signed up for and zips them into one big file with a name incorporating the date generated - also located on their server. I think SAS ftps the zipped text files to your server

With SAS I download them myself. I am sure there are exceptions but most companies allow you to pull them down. Most offer CSV, and some offer pipe, tab and XML delimitted. The best to work with IMO (and the hardest) is XML.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Smile .txt?
    Thank you so much for your help-!
    so, formats are not .xml, but txt?

Just to add to the explanations above, a lot of the datafeed formats you're going to run across are delimited text files, often with a .csv extension. In essence (as someone stated above), all it is is a text file (can be opened with notepad for instance), with rows of data for the datfeed. Each row has values simply seperated by a specific, and uniform character. Take for instance:

Value1,Value2,Value3,Value4,... (referred to as "comma delimited")

Value1|Value2|Value3|Value4.... (referred to as "Pipe delimited", which shares a character for the backslash key)

Value1 Value2 Value3 Value4 (where each space is actually a tab character is referred to as "tab delimited").

Those are the most common delimited forms for text file data. In shareasale, it is usually always the "pipe delimited" format.

These text files, although with an .csv extension often, are easilly manipulated through custom scripts, or common software.

As for XML, that's a whole different story. XML files usually have an .xml file extension (but not always). The content in these files are stored entirely different than a delimited file format. Most XML files have data that looks similar to HTML - a type of code that uses "tags". Taking XML files and incorporating them into sites can be harder than a standard delimited text file.

Hope that helps clear it up.

XML will be harder... but definitely the cleanest. Most languages nowadays have built in functions to parse XML. Here is the part of the PHP manual on XML parsing. I know .NET has built in functions also:

http://us2.php.net/xml
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread