Looking for Do-it-All CMS
    I've checked on this forum, other forums and all over the web and I STILL can't find a CMS that works for me. I've tried Wordpress and Joomla but don't like being tied to their templates or site design restrictions. I am looking for a CMS that I can tie to my database (I use Access and don't really want to change to mySQL) and easily create a shopping section for my niche site with categories/subcategories. I would also like article and banner management.

I am just dreaming or is there something out there that fits my needs?

Heeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllp!!!!

Lena

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    There isn't a do it all CMS out there.

There are shopping cart plugins for both of the CMS you mentioned, but I don't think any of them will currently accept database files.

As far as templates go I don't know what you're talking about. You can design your own template. No one is tying you down at all. If you don't like a free template you can make your own to your specifications.

Most likely you'll need to do some experimentation with CMS and plugins/modules and then hire a programmer to do the integration that you want for your database or use a multiple CMS or CMS plus external PHP aps combo to meet your needs.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Do you want to integrate a datafeed? You can do that with a program like Webmerge but the learning curve is a bit steep. It genereates html pages.

ABW Ambassador
    Try to find an .asp CMS. If there are any, they'd be more likely to interface with an Access database.

To Webworker's point, the only CMS I'm currently aware of for ASP is DotnetNuke, but I've never really played with it. Not sure if it fits the bill.... I'm sure there must be more out there.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    that I can tie to my database (I use Access and don't really want to change to mySQL) and easily create a shopping section for my niche site with categories/subcategories.
    That isn't "easily" done with a CMS, you're talking either a shopping cart/catalog script or total customization of a CMS to integrate a shopping cart into it. There are asp shopping carts out there, but catalogs and CMS capabilities are two different species of animal.

I would also like article and banner management.
    That's getting even closer to needing a custom solution.

Going by your specs, maybe you'd better look for an asp catalog/cart script first, and then hunt around for an asp-compatible blog script that'll make static pages also.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread