More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Such a Thing as a GOOD Registered Letter?
    I get a registered letter today.

Return address says Brooklyn but it is postmarked Hong Kong.

About "MY?" mobile phone purchase (that I didn't make) from Amazon.com on Sept 9. Nothing showing up in my Amazon Account pertaining to the sale nor did I get an email. But sure enough, my CC is billed for $680! I dispute the charge and call Amazon.

Here's the weird part that maybe one of you can help me with. The guy doing this is/was an actual Amazon seller by the name of happycloud . His feedback is listed at h t t p://amazon .com/ seller/happycloud
    Often feedback mentions surprise to see their item ship from Hong Kong rather than the US location listed. I am wondering if the items are knockoffs. How did he charge my card?

Amazon is looking into this matter and will get back to me. In the mean time, if you have an Amazon account, watch your CC statements.

Well, at least I am not getting sued.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I'd put a hold on the card and request a copy of your credit report as well (free, so long as it's only a couple times a year). Chances are somebody placed the order, just not you...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Good advice Eathan. Yes, I did have the cards trashed as well as putting the hold. The funny thing about the "invoice", which Amazon said was probably fake, was that it listed my address as the shipping address. So if there were an actual order, I would get the item. I just requested a credit report a few weeks back - no problems.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

That is weird. We get lots of attempted fraud, but never hoping to ship to the actual billing address. Then again, most of what we see is foreign orders. Yours is a foreign shipper. Think they have some sort of reverse fraud thing going?

"See, we shipped to the correct billing address, with good AVS and CVV2 - must be good. Please reverse our charge reversal and credit our account back for the $680.00."

Be a new twist on things for sure...

Good luck with everything!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

What was the purpose of the registered letter? Was some crook just trying to seem like your pal or what?

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    What was the purpose of the registered letter? Was some crook just trying to seem like your pal or what?
    You've got me. And, it cost $16 in postage! Perhaps to somehow "validate" the phony sale?

Here's The Letter
    See attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Looks like Step 1 of 3 to commit fraud.

Step 1 - Send registered letter with blatant wordings "package will be shipped via registered mail".
    Step 2 - Never send anything via registered mail.
    Step 3 - Seller's CYA. He will claim that you received the initial registered letter, why did you receive the second registered package with your phone?

That phone SonyEricsson k810 is about a $200-300+ phone.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Smells like fraud to me, too.

I wonder if this person is in cahoots with someone else you've made third-party purchases with through Amazon. Have you bought electronics through Amazon? Have you made any purchases with third-party sellers based in Hong Kong or Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Smells like fraud to me, too.

I wonder if this person is in cahoots with someone else you've made third-party purchases with through Amazon. Have you bought electronics through Amazon? Have you made any purchases with third-party sellers based in Hong Kong or Asia?

Good point. Amazon is looking into this and I will bring that up. Also, I will look into past purchases.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Also check your eBay purchases. I found some references to several sellers with the name "happycloud" or a variant on eBay but I don't know that they're the same entitity as your happycloud.

It Was Fraud
    Somehow, someone got my CC number and opened a new account in Amazon, with their own email. It was an actual Amazon order and Amazon confirmed it was an unauthorized use of my card. My CC company has been in touch with Amazon and they confirmed the same.

Anyway, my CC was credited back the disputed charge. I believe Amazon is left holding the charge since they allowed the account to be opened. Amazon is now going to try to collect from happycloud - good luck to them on that! I am going to report this to Credit Reporting agencies as this was perhaps identity theft as well.

I would expect that the registered letter was sent to "prove" that the item was sent to you, and that you accepted it. Then it would be your word against the shipper's about what was delivered -- but he probably thinks he'll win since he has "proof of delivery."

Yeah, that's probably what he is up to but it won't hold water. The CC card company verified with Amazon that the card use was fraudulent.

I think what he does is sets up accounts with other peoples CC's and perhaps alias names (or the person's name), makes orders and specifies the CC holders address for shipping, sends a letter (with no item), and keeps the cash.

I think I should probably report this to the local police (county sheriff) tomorrow, although I am fairly certain they will be clueless on what to do in this situation.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread