Unhappy No Relief from RLS
    Hi!

I'm just going to throw this out here to see if anyone has this problem or knows of anyplace doing clinical studies. I'm getting very desperate!

I have been diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome for the past 3 years. In that time I have been on every know medication to treat. The only med that even will help for a while is Mirapex and that causes the legs to ache really bad and tingle in the feet.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? This crap will make you go NUTS.
    I have also taken additional iron and magnesium. Any more ideas?

ABW Ambassador
    I get that maybe 2-3 times a year. Not sure exactly why, figured it was from sitting too long or something. I used to say massage helped but I said that just to get a massage, not sure if it actually helped And it is annoying as hell when I get it. How often do you experience this?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Kathy,

I had a boyfriend with RLS and I know what hell you're going through. There is an ABW member (I believe it's Rick Palmer) who has an RLS blog or site. He should find this thread and reply and give you the link.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    There's what looks to be a good forum on the subject, looks pretty active:

http://bb.rls.org/

They have a thread gathering everything that people have said works for them:

http://bb.rls.org/viewtopic.php?t=3413

And actually the massage, they say it works:

Massage - IIIII yes, II no

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes one of the major problems was leg and muscle pain caused by neuropathy. The shooting pain (like needles being ripped down your legs to your toes) I wouldn't sleep for 3-4 days because of the severe pain as regular pain medicine (even ion) didn't work. Seemed worse when trying to sleep.

I know many of the symptoms are the same for RLS folks.

Eventually I was prescribed Lyrica, which was used for seizures in other conditions, and it's side effect was it helped diabetic nerve pain. I am not sure that Lyrica would help with RLS but it MIGHT. You could ask your doctor about it. I took it for about 3 months increasing the dosage, and then one day... the neuropathy just vanished. I stopped taking Lyrica and now only take it on very rare occasions.

I know there are several other medications similar that help with neuropathy and in my thinking, though I am not a doctor of medicine, it might help folks with RLS.

I have severe RLS (hits me every 5 to 10 seconds starting at about 10 in the morning, all through the day, and through the night). I take Requip and it does a pretty good job of controlling symptoms, but there are several factors that make it still rear it's irritating head:

lack of sleep
    stress
    foods high in protein
    alcohol
    caffeine

Exercise can help if it's moderate exercise, but vigorous excercise can actually make it worse.

I've had RLS as long as I can remember as a child, and just figured everyone else had it too. About 6 years ago I learned that there was treatment for it, but it does get progressively worse - I'm not sure how much longer meds will be of much help.

My site is http://www.restlesslimbs.com but I haven't touched it in a while. There are some interesting articles there though, about magnesium, exercise, and brain activities. I hope it helps in some way

Thanks for replying!

This is an everynight/everyday situation with me. See what kind of fun I'm having? GGGGGGRRRRRRRR!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread