ABW Ambassador
    Domain Name Front Running
    That's what they're calling it, there have been some threads here on it in the past. You know when you look up a domain name and it's available then check again and it's gone. So if you expect it going on you can contact: http://www.icann.org/committees/security/

More info in the pdf:

http://www.icann.org/committees/security/sac022.pdf

and second result in Google for the thread title in 28 minutes.
    Last edited by Trust; October 24th, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

It's never happened to me, but I have heard the stories.

Easy enough to test, surely? Do some lookups of meaningless domain names and see who registers them?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    I've never seen it myself but I don't buy a lot of domains. But I've seen some people here and elsewhere expect that it's happening, so not sure.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think one is fairly safe from this if a reputable service like register.com is used - I have not had a problem with them. I always do checks through register.com, even though I register the name elsewhere.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I experienced this happening a few weeks ago when checking names on GoDaddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I think one is fairly safe from this if a reputable service like register.com is used - I have not had a problem with them. I always do checks through register.com, even though I register the name elsewhere.
    I do the same thing. Though recently I've been using Yahoo to check to see if the domain is available because they offer suggestions if it's not.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Happened to me a couple of times. I always reg when I search, now. The exception for me is .TV domains, since they cost so much..... I have not seen any of those getting sniped.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

It is of course possible that someone else has had the same idea at the same time.. if you're registering topical domain names then that's a risk.

If registrars are doing it, then it's likely to be the same ones that allow domain tasting. I'm pretty sure that GoDaddy came out against that practice, so I'd be surprised to see them doing this.

But as I said, it's easy enough to prove by doing lookups for utterly random domains and seeing what happens to them. You might want to try doing the lookup from different IP addresses. Of course, you could test it in a group, but you'd need to do it in private. Since this thread is #2 in Google for "Domain Name Front Running" then you can assume that it isn't private
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I learned my lesson when I was trying to come up with a name for my very first site. I ran about a dozen names through Go Daddy to check for availability. 24 hours later when I had decided on a name, all of the names that I checked had been taken. I find it hard to believe that it was a coincidence. Now I check names through search and by typing the name into the address bar. When I check a name through a registrar, I buy it on the spot if it's available.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    It is of course possible that someone else has had the same idea at the same time.. if you're registering topical domain names then that's a risk.

If registrars are doing it, then it's likely to be the same ones that allow domain tasting. I'm pretty sure that GoDaddy came out against that practice, so I'd be surprised to see them doing this.

But as I said, it's easy enough to prove by doing lookups for utterly random domains and seeing what happens to them. You might want to try doing the lookup from different IP addresses. Of course, you could test it in a group, but you'd need to do it in private. Since this thread is #2 in Google for "Domain Name Front Running" then you can assume that it isn't private

I may be way off base here, since I've slept since then, but I recall mention that some domains that are searched for but not registered may appear under GoDaddy's 'suggested domains' later when other people search using the keyword in question. That may be pure speculation, in fact it probably is..... maybe someone could squash that rumor?
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

If you do lose a domain this way, DO NOT visit the domain. Instead, wait five days and try to register again. Often it's kiters doing the five day reg then dump dance, keeping any domains with traffic, including your clicks.

I lost one domain this way on GoDaddy, but was able to register it five days later.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

ABW Ambassador
    This is kind of making it's way around:

"Network Solutions steals domain ideas; Confirmed!"

http://blog.domaintools.com/2008/01/...eas-confirmed/

http://digg.com/tech_news/Network_So...deas_Confirmed

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I've never had a problem when using a reputable registrar, but I would not put it past some of the others. Thanks for the reminder though...
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I noticed this happening many years ago, when I first started registering my own domains... but haven't noticed at all recently - but I've been registering with the same company for 2-3 years and they're clean. The news about Network Solutions is mighty interesting, though.

ABW Ambassador
    Surprised I haven't seen any mention to do nslookups locally. Can't have it stolen then.

Credit to Mack from another thread:
    If you are on a windows PC:

Start
    Run
    Type" cmd
    hit enter
    type:
    nslookup google.com

or any other domain you are looking for. If it doesn't exist, it will tell you.
    Although it tells me all domains I look up now don't exist (use to work), but since it's local, must be my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I experienced this happening a few weeks ago when checking names on GoDaddy.
    A few years ago when I was active on another forum a guy named Clement searched GoDaddy for this domain: clementloveseileen.com

He didn't buy the domain right away and when he was ready to buy the domain had been taken/the price had been jacked up -- c'mon, who else could use that domain? [Eileen was the name of his fiancee]

When I bought domains, I searched 1&1 and promptly bought the ones I wanted.

Do you think that buying a domain on the spot from whichever registrar is a good idea?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    A few years ago when I was active on another forum a guy named Clement searched GoDaddy for this domain: clementloveseileen.com

He didn't buy the domain right away and when he was ready to buy the domain had been taken/the price had been jacked up -- c'mon, who else could use that domain? [Eileen was the name of his fiancee]
    The title of my novel is a completely fabricated name, makes zero sense to anyone other than me or someone who has read the book. When I tried to register the domain name on Godaddy, it was already taken. Some company in the West Indies had purchased it just 3 days before I tried to. There was nothing on the domain, just "domain parked" info.

This has happened to me several times when trying to buy a domain through Godaddy.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    The title of my novel is a completely fabricated name, makes zero sense to anyone other than me or someone who has read the book. When I tried to register the domain name on Godaddy, it was already taken. Some company in the West Indies had purchased it just 3 days before I tried to. There was nothing on the domain, just "domain parked" info.

This has happened to me several times when trying to buy a domain through Godaddy.
    Rexanne, prior to reading your whole post (but noticing I had been quoted), I thought maybe you wanted the domain clementloveseileen.com

If your novel had been published, perhaps the one[s] who bought your domain were squatters who knew of your title ... on the other hand, who would have guessed that Clement love[s/d] Eileen?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Rexanne, prior to reading your whole post, I thought maybe you wanted the domain clementloveseileen.com

If your novel had been published, perhaps the one[s] who bought your domain were squatters who knew of your title ... on the other hand, who would have guessed that Clement love[s/d] Eileen?
    My novel hadn't been published and the name wasn't publicized.

It stinks no matter which scenario - there's definitely something going on at the back end of the registrar places that "shouldn't" be.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    ... there's definitely something going on at the back end of the registrar places that "shouldn't" be.
    I know someone in business for himself who is thinking about buying a domain name at a certain point.

I didn't tell him about the clementloveseileen.com scenario but my advice was to create a couple of domain variations on paper and then go to a registrar (I recommended 1&1) and immediately buy the domains on the spot.

I agree with you that it's wrong that someone like you or me or Clement might want to search/play with a potential domain name only to see that the terms of our search have been hijacked and the prices have been jacked up before we get a reasonable chance to buy. The phrase "reasonable chance to buy" might require a definition, but what happened to Clement and to you is ridiculous -- something's going on.

I didn't have a problem buying domain names on the spot -- I already knew that my #1 choice (for one domain) had been taken a few years back and I wasn't planning on it; the fact that it was taken was not a function of my search [a different story].
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    It happened to Clement with GoDaddy [see my post #16] but (if I recall correctly) there was a [small] time lapse.
    I wonder if the problem could have been avoided had the domain been purchased on the spot?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I have hundreds of domains, and use godaddy without issues. I check on domains all the time using them. The only time I have had a domain snatched up is because it was a good one and waited more than a week or two later (I have lists upon lists).

I seriously doubt godaddy is doing things like this as they are one of the advocates that complains about the kiters.

I do question a few sites that "help" you choose domain names however.

The one time it happened to me on GoDaddy was after starting the checkout process, but not completing the transaction during that session. Next day the domain was gone and five days later it was available again. I haven't had it happen when researching domains, only after starting the checkout process.

Still, the five day snatch and dump is clearly kiting, and GoDaddy Bob's outspoken stance against the practice makes it particularly annoying that it happened there.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread