eBay Mistake
    Oops, I thought I read somewhere that you could use eBay affiliate links to your own personal auctions, probably on some outdated affiliate information site. I put the links on my website and they kept coming up, "eBay has removed this listing." And then I read the eBay affiliate FAQ which stated you couldn't do that. I realize I should have read their FAQ first.

Anyway, they haven't removed the listing, which I hope they don't because I have a large bid (and it's supposed to pay my mortgage next month ), and I removed the affiliate links to the auction. Will I get suspended? Would it help if I contacted them and let them know I was mistaken about the policy and won't do it again?

Thanks in advance.

I seem to remember it being just the opposite. I think they used to prohibit it and then changed their policy to allow it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Michael is right.

I am not sure if you have to have an eBay store or not, but if you create links going to your auctions from an outside web site with your tracking link included, they will refund all or part of your listing fee if the winning bid has your id on it.

I thought I had read that somewhere, but when I looked at their FAQ, it said,
    "Q: Can I link to a specific eBay listing or search results page?
    A: You can link to any eBay page or URL using our Flexible Destination Tool. However, you are not permitted to use affiliate links to promote your own eBay listings or eBay Store, or those of anyone you are affiliated with."

http://affiliates.ebay.com/ns/FAQ.htm#Creating

Maybe I'm reading it wrong or maybe their FAQ is out of date. At any rate, I couldn't get the links to work.

Thanks for your replies, BettyLou & Michael.

It's actually a Store Referral Credit that I am talking about. You can earn this credit if you link to your eBay store (you do need a store to earn this). This might actual be more valuable than what you would receive in commission from an affiliate link anyway.

If you want to read more about this, here is a link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/specialtysites/referral-credit-steps.html

Hope this helps.

From there TOS:
    (5) Affiliate Links. You may use affiliate links to promote your own eBay listings or eBay Store, those of your Agents or those of anyone else with whom you are affiliated. eBay may terminate this provision at any time with 7 days notice. You may not include affiliate links on any ebay.com page or eBay-owned page, such as an eBay listing or eBay Store.
    (Emphasis added)

http and a telephoto
    I would think the TOS trumps the FAQ, but it might be a good idea for someone to alert the affiliate manager of the conflicting information.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I would think the TOS trumps the FAQ, but it might be a good idea for someone to alert the affiliate manager of the conflicting information.
    I agree, TOS should always override the FAQ section. Does seem like they need to update their pages.

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    It's actually a Store Referral Credit that I am talking about...
    Hey, I wasn't aware of this program. I have a website with a pretty good following that I sell on, so I've never wanted to spend the money for an eBay store. But I might look into it because I have a ton of vintage Christmas items I'll be selling on eBay this fall and this program seems to be a nice perk. Thanks for the info, bettylou.

No Problem

I confirmed it with out eBay rep. You were not allowed at one time to aim at your own eBay store listings but that has all changed now. The TOS is what you should go by not any FAQ which is obviously out dated.

In other words you are ok

Quote Originally Posted by Voxman
    I confirmed it with out eBay rep. You were not allowed at one time to aim at your own eBay store listings but that has all changed now. The TOS is what you should go by not any FAQ which is obviously out dated.

In other words you are ok
    I was just stopping by the forum to post that I emailed them almost two weeks ago with the difference in the TOS KirkMcD posted versus the FAQ and never received a response, so thanks very much for getting the info, Voxman.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread