Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Would you pay for a Price Comparision website ?
    Hi All,

I'm representing a company, Giga Promoters, based in New Delhi, India. We're a team of experienced PHP/MySql developers and designers.

We're building some of the very special products for Affiliate industry which will help most of you in automating your businesses and ofcourse the income.

Here are 2 products which our team has decided to launch:

1. Price Comparison Engine
    2. Fully Automatic Catalog

We'll setup the price for both the scripts under $100. Let me write some features of Price Comparison Engine:
    • Simple and Advanced product search
    • Product & Merchant - rating and review facility
    • mod_rewrite support for SEO'd URL's
    • Featured products on homepage
    • Import multiple affiliate product datafeed at once
    • Automatic Google Sitemap generation
    • Send product links to friend
    • Site Stats

We are still working on this product and expect this to finish in next 3 weeks. So, I wanted to check if anyone would be interested in the product.

Also, feel free to suggest any new features. If you think its not worth, its expensive or anything. Please share with us and help us making our product better.

I will be willing to offer this product for free to 5 reputed members for a small review. Thanks for reading the post... will look forward to your response.

Abhimanyu Grover

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Most people here know how to create price comparison scripts. But I would be happy to look at your product.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

with all the seo stuff built-in, how will it be customizable, so everyone who uses this script won't get tagged as duplicates?

Are you referring to a similar product or a customized solution ?

Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    with all the seo stuff built-in, how will it be customizable, so everyone who uses this script won't get tagged as duplicates?
    Avoiding duplication is a problem, since datafeeds provided by the merchants will still a same? But if we consider that we can implement a solution for the same, would you go for it ?

Quote Originally Posted by gigapromoters
    Avoiding duplication is a problem, since datafeeds provided by the merchants will still a same? But if we consider that we can implement a solution for the same, would you go for it ?
    probably not for me, since I have my own custom price engine(even though it has some problems), but I was just mentioning it as a potential probem.

Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    probably not for me, since I have my own custom price engine(even though it has some problems), but I was just mentioning it as a potential probem.
    I will take your suggestion and discuss it with the team tomorrow. Thanks

I would consider this, if it were reasonably customizable so that I could select which merchants and products to include, and so that I could try to address "content duplication" issues.

I assume that the script would draw from affiliate datafeeds? I'd need to know how it does this, and whether I could create enhanced or modified data in some way (for example, adding enhanced descriptions, reviews, or commentary) that would persist after a datafeed update.

To me, the value of a price-comparison site is directly proportional to the "completeness and validity" of the underlying data. I've seen many dozens (probably several hundred) price comparison sites which either list only a handful of merchants (excluding obvious major competitors) or which have invalid price data (often absurdly low), or both. For me, it's also crucial to exclude data from offshore sites that sell counterfeit products.

For me, the price isn't very relevant; if I could have the flexibility and control that I want, I'd pay a lot more than $100, but if it's just another standard price-comparison script, I wouldn't use it even if it were free.

I read the title, looked for the price and will completely ignore it all because I saw $100.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Contact me when your scripts are ready. I will be willing to pay and try and see how it works

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I would consider this, if it were reasonably customizable so that I could select which merchants and products to include, and so that I could try to address "content duplication" issues.
    Our program lets you upload datafeeds and import all products to the database. This means, for eg:- if you get a CSV file from merchant 'XYZ', you can upload the feed, see the preview, and import the file.

Am I missing some more important feature here ? or if its just fine ?

I assume that the script would draw from affiliate datafeeds? I'd need to know how it does this, and whether I could create enhanced or modified data in some way (for example, adding enhanced descriptions, reviews, or commentary) that would persist after a datafeed update.
    Right now, it just enables you to upload the file and import the same to database. But luckily, I just got a great idea from your point. A new feature called 'Search and Replace'. This feature will let you add some keywords / phrases to replace with other sets of keywords. This function will act before importing the feed.

Sounds good ?

To me, the value of a price-comparison site is directly proportional to the "completeness and validity" of the underlying data. I've seen many dozens (probably several hundred) price comparison sites which either list only a handful of merchants (excluding obvious major competitors) or which have invalid price data (often absurdly low), or both. For me, it's also crucial to exclude data from offshore sites that sell counterfeit products.
    Can you list out some unique features which other scripts are missing. We would be willing to take your suggestions into consideration ?

For me, the price isn't very relevant; if I could have the flexibility and control that I want, I'd pay a lot more than $100, but if it's just another standard price-comparison script, I wouldn't use it even if it were free.
    Nah, We're not just launching another common concept in the market. We're about to launch something unique, and that is why we are spending time on research. I'll keep you updated for sure..

Thanks for so good response..

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I read the title, looked for the price and will completely ignore it all because I saw $100.
    Why ? Is it expensive ? Is it cheap ? Please elaborate a bit more, I'll highly appreciate..

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    Contact me when your scripts are ready. I will be willing to pay and try and see how it works
    Will do for sure.. Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by gigapromoters
    Why ? Is it expensive ? Is it cheap ? Please elaborate a bit more, I'll highly appreciate..
    WAAAAY to cheap to even waste time in evaluating it. I've never seen any script at that price point that has any value, much less to base any business on.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    WAAAAY to cheap to even waste time in evaluating it. I've never seen any script at that price point that has any value, much less to base any business on.
    I dont think if anything which is too cheap would never help your business.
    So far our product was being developed to be affordable by almost everyone.

But after coming here and seeing features which people are looking for I guess price will rise... But I would still try to keep price to affordable to individuals. Maybe we'll end up making different packages, but thats too early right now to say.

P.S. There are best scripts or products out there which we use almost daily and they are still free. I disagree that quality would be greater with greater price. However, I would still like you to give it a try once script is ready and suggest me what is it worth.. maybe its much more for you, or less. But our focus will remain on one and the only thing, which would be the quality.

OK, gigapromoters, I understand that you want to know what features affiliates would like in a "price comparison" script. What you've clearly learned from this discussion is that different affiliates seem to have different needs, and what we've learned from this discussion is that you seem to have very limited experience working with affiliate programs, datafeeds, and price comparison sites (perhaps your team has created a script according to a very specific set of requirements presented by a single client; but it's unclear if you understand the many complex issues that arise with datafeeds, nor the many complex issues that can arise with a "price comparison" site, nor the issues involved in creating a tool that's flexible enough to be useful for a wide range of different customers).

Normally, I would not expect a $100 script to be much more useful than a free script, and like Haiko, I'd probably be unlikely to look at such an inexpensive script unless I saw a clear feature list that made me believe it would provide me with some specific benefits and features. Of course, if the script were priced at $500 or $2,000 I'd want an even more detailed list of features and capabilities, and I'd probably want to see some demo sites that were built using the script.

One problem you're experiencing here is that you want us to outline all the specific issues and requirements, but we don't generally want to share our "feature lists" (or other valuable knowledge founded on years of experience) with strangers (and often not with each other, not even those of us who spent this past weekend together, because although we are friendly, we are also competitors and we each seek to retain our competitive advantage so we can feed our families or our fish).

The people here with the most experience building price comparison sites are the people who are least likely to give you advice, because they don't want to give away the knowledge they've acquired at substantial cost (in both money and time).

I've never built a price comparison site, so my knowledge is pretty limited, but I have worked with datafeeds and recognize some very complex issues that you don't seem to even recognize (much less understand).

Under these circumstances, you shouldn't expect anyone to spend much time giving you free advice. Some of the folks here offer their consulting services for a fee -- you might want to consider that option (but don't call me for this one).

One problem you're experiencing here is that you want us to outline all the specific issues and requirements, but we don't generally want to share our "feature lists" and knowledge with strangers (and often not with each other, not even those of us who spent this past weekend together, because although we are friendly, we are competitors and we each seek to retain our competitive advantage so we can feed our families or our fish.
    This is not a problem, since a program can never target all such flexible requirements. What I am looking for here is some more generalized features which other products are missing...

They may or may not be confidential for your business. But in order to get something you need, you need to actually communicate and tell others about your problem.

I think our development for this product will need to shift to component based development if common problems are not arised. This will provide flexibility for sure, but major portion of the current script would be rewritten.

nor the issues involved in creating a tool that's flexible enough to be useful for a wide range of different customers).
    Actually no, script is going to offer flexibility more than any other product in market. If we ever switch to Component based development, The script will become like a complete CMS (for e.g.- Joomla, you've seen how you can add and remove modules).

And this same thing can provide more 'personalized features' with custom modules.

I think the idea is noble.

I have experience with a customized affiliate scripts and have paid some programmers to do a few projects for me. I do super customize each and every domain so (hopefully) to avoid duplicate content.

I am interested in getting an evaluation copy and will give a fair and decent review.
    [url=http://abestweb.com/][B][COLOR=Red]Affiliate Marketing Forum[/COLOR][/B][/url]

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I nearly fell off my chair when I read $100. Good luck with the development. Now if you'd said $10,000 like the ones we're custom building for clients I would have been interested to see how it progresses.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Beta coming up soon... Making CSV import feature more interactive and intelligent.

I will be interested in seeing more information on your scripts.

I might take a look at it, pm me when it is finished with a list of features that are bug-free and in the working version. I am currently working on a customized price engine but I wouldn't mind trying it out. I understand why some many are skeptical however due to the price and lack of testing so far; but if you can give a good engine for under $100 more power to ya!

You might even want to let a few people try it out for free and get some reviews of it for those who are skeptical about a new price engine and its abilities. I would be more than willing to help ya'll out I've worked for a few review sites in the past.

Just drop me a line

Depends on 'your' market. You may sell 1 at $10,000 or 100 at $100, let's what it can do. There's already decent scripts out there at both ends of the market and those in between. Get the performance to price ratio right and you might have a winner.
    performancetoprice.com
    performancetopriceratio.com

Any further feedback from gigapromoters?

then markschok

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    Depends on 'your' market. You may sell 1 at $10,000 or 100 at $100, let's what it can do. There's already decent scripts out there at both ends of the market and those in between. Get the performance to price ratio right and you might have a winner.
    performancetoprice.com
    performancetopriceratio.com
    any direction I can be pointed in with the scripts you mention, please?

ideally looking for Flight comparison .. however maybe there is something available already to save this donkey from being over weighted

and also looking for price comparison script for auto insurance

---------------------

now that the foggy mind has risen above the damp I recall that price comparison scripts was how I landed on this site

slante

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast