Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs down Merchant using adsense
    I find some merchants put adsense in their site
    what do you think ?
    its likely they are not serious in business

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    This has been discussed at length in many posts. Do a search for "merchant leaks" and you'll find plenty to read.

It's good reason for many affiliates to rip their links without question. I find it a hideous practice and wouldn't dream of promoting a merchant that hijacked my traffic to send it to a paid click that I am not getting paid for.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    AdSense is one of the most prolific leaks found on merchant sites. I will not promote a merchant that has adSense. However, some merchants, when made aware of this concern, have removed adSense from their sites.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    I agree with Rexanne. There is no way to prevent your site vistors from clicking on the merchants adsense..big time leak!
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Unprofessional and major leak.

ABW Ambassador
    Not kewl.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    It is pretty much analogous to what a parasite does. You do all the work or fork out big PPC bucks to get the visitor to the site, only to have the someone else (merchant) reap a reward that is not shared with you.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Do you all consider buy.com in this realm - i.e. bad due to the advertising? As both a affiliate and a shopped I've found it odd the number of sponsored links their site has.

Lets list merchant that using adsense in their site

I found
    Homeclick

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Homeclick.com is one of many sites with common ownership, including AbsoluteHome.com, Barbecues.com, ChefsCorner.com, and ChristmasCatalog.com, all at CJ, and of which have not only adSense, but banner ads for other sites as well.

Another site loaded with adSense, unrelated to the above, is mercantila.com, at LS.

One at SAS is westretchyourdollars.com.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    www religious-items dot com

it is between the product image and the add to cart.
    Last edited by lostdeviant; November 16th, 2007 at 05:24 PM. Reason: removing link... good point loxly

http and a telephoto
    Do we really want to give all these sites backlinks? I would rather you post their names and not links to their sites.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

HomeClick, Abs Home, etc... convert regardless of whatever else they have on the site. How many people here run AdSense or banners on their sites? What is the CTR on that stuff in general? Probably not very high unless you really work at it and design your site to get people to click on AdSense.

At what point do you say ok, out of every 200 or so people I send to a merchant site, maybe one of them is going to click on a banner or an AdSense link (and I'm not going to get say 10% of the revenue the merchant got for the click - which would be probably $0.20 at most) because they didn't find what they were looking for on the site and I wasn't going to get the sale anyway. So the merchant is going to get around $0.01 - $0.001 in revenue per click that I send them that they are not going to give me 20% of. So what?

I agree it feels better as an affiliate if there are not leaks on a site but when a consumer is on a merchant site and they don't find what they want, they are going to leave. Does it matter if they click on an AdSense Link or simply leave?

If you make any serious money with a merchant and (in all likelyhood) continue to do so after they put up AdSense, how does it make sense to drop them or complain about it all day?

That is not the point. The point is that we spend time and money generating traffic for merchants, and even if 1 click goes to adsense on their site that was generated from your site is a leak. I never understood why a merchant who sells a service or product(s) has adsense on their site at ALL. That would be like me having a retail store and advertising a competitor within my store.

I would name the sites that have major leaks even if it does give them a backlink. If it moves up higher in their ranking on google then folks will see these merchants as cheating affiliates.

http and a telephoto
    Superstar, it also points to a lack of confidence on the part of a merchant. That Adsense will be showing similar products, why would you send YOUR customer to a competitor?

Adsense doesn't belong on merchant sites. Period. It is unprofessional and reaks of incompetence.
    Deborah Carney

But if the customer doesn't find what they want on a site, why not give them something else they might want? If the site isn't going to get any revenue from the customer (and the affiliate isn't either), why not make money on the traffic that leaves rather than just let it go?

Is it lack of confidence or is it a way of saying we're really confident we'll have what you want but if for some reason we don't, well we want your visit to our site to enable you to find what you need. Kind of like Progressive giving insurance quote for up to 4 competitors so the customer at least thinks they are getting the best deal.

Lets say you have a web design company and a lead comes in that has a project to small for you to handle. Do you just tell them to go away or do you work out an arrangement with another firm, probably a competitor, where you send the sales lead to them and get a cut of the sale?

If you promote a merchant and you make $1,000 a month from them and then they put AdSense on the site and you still make $1,000 a month from them does it make sense to flame them and remove the links from your site? What if you only make $950 a month after they put up AdSense are you going to drop them? Your earnings go down by $50 a month after they put up AdSense and then you're going to throw away the other $950 per month you still make from promoting them. That's like cutting off you arm to save your hand.

The bottom line in this industry is profit. We direct efforts to whatever makes the most money. If its a merchant without AdSense, great, if they do have AdSense and they are the most profitable merchant, dunno about anyone else but the one with AdSense is going to get my traffic.

If >>It is unprofessional and reaks of incompetence.<< but it is still the most profitable program to promote do you stop promoting it?

Our egos shouldn't get in the way of sound business decisions.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar

If >>It is unprofessional and reaks of incompetence.<< but it is still the most profitable program to promote do you stop promoting it?
    yes.

Edited to add: They wouldn't get on my sites to begin with so there would be no way to know if they would be "the most profitable".

Do you promote sites that are unprofessional looking? I won't manage a site if they have adsense on them either.

Either you are a merchant or you are an affiliate, if you want to be both, do it on separate websites, that do NOT link to each other.

Ego? I think not. Unprofessional means the site in question has an ego, certainly not the affiliate choosing to dump a merchant that has an identity crisis.
    Deborah Carney

It doesn't matter what the site looks like if it converts traffic. There are beautiful sites out there that can't sell anything.

If you have to be a merchant or an affiliate, that means you shouldn't promote Ebay, one of the most profitable programs in the industry, that would knock out Amazon as well, probably some other wildly profitable programs for affiliates?

I agree that it kind of "cheapens" a site if it runs AdSense but it if is the most profitable merchant to promote, well, I'll take the cash and put my personal thoughts aside.

It's the same "ego" type of thing that results in e-commerce sites that can't sell anything. The agency or the merchant think a site should look and be designed in a specific way just because they thnk it should be done a certain way, not because its going to sell more stuff.

If they look at the traffic/analytics and sales numbers and build the site so as to maximize those instead of what the designer thinks will look good, they have a much better chance of making more money.

Not my ego, just my sense of taste and my business ethics. Yours may differ and that's ok too.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

http and a telephoto
    If you have to be a merchant or an affiliate, that means you shouldn't promote Ebay, one of the most profitable programs in the industry, that would knock out Amazon as well, probably some other wildly profitable programs for affiliates?
    If you are a merchant, with an affiliate program, no you should absolutely not have links to ebay, Amazon or Adsense.

If you are an affiliate you can promote whatever you want.

You can't be a merchant WITH an affiliate program AND be an affiliate.

You can disagree, but you have a couple thousand affiliates that will disagree with *you*.

Are *you* a merchant or are *you* an affiliate? Would be good to know what your interest is in this.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    It's the same "ego" type of thing that results in e-commerce sites that can't sell anything. The agency or the merchant think a site should look and be designed in a specific way just because they thnk it should be done a certain way, not because its going to sell more stuff.

If they look at the traffic/analytics and sales numbers and build the site so as to maximize those instead of what the designer thinks will look good, they have a much better chance of making more money.
    Exactly. Merchants need to build sites that convert visitors to *customers*. Period. Convert *their* products, not just "make money" any way they can. If their goal is to just make money, not caring about their own conversions, then they should *not* have an affiliate program.
    Deborah Carney

It doesn't matter what the site looks like if it converts traffic. There are beautiful sites out there that can't sell anything.
    I can agree with that, because I have seen a lot of crappy sites listed on the SE's well above the more professional made sites.

But I can't agree with this:
    I agree that it kind of "cheapens" a site if it runs AdSense but it if is the most profitable merchant to promote, well, I'll take the cash and put my personal thoughts aside.
    Because this can be just one of my personal thoughts that I would not be able to put aside, example:

(This is a made up example, but I think it can express what I think.)

If I am promoting a luggage merchant like travel-luggage-to-fly.com (made-up-name), and since they convert good, I decide to do a PPC campaing on their back to school backpacks category because it's back to school time now, but..........

After I spend my money on PPC to their backpacks category, I find out that they have some AdSense there with links to other luggage merchants that say something like backpacks at 20% off, or buy one backpack and get a free lunch box, or save on backpacks this week, etc, from whatever-other-luggage-merchants.com, on that page, then my first personal thoughts would be, WTF, I am spending my own money on PPC, to sell some backpacks from my merchant, but my merchant have some AdSense links in there that looks like my referrals may think that they would save some more money, or would get a better deal from any of those AdSense links my merchant has on that page, so they click on any of those links and there goes my campain money, I would not make shit, but my merchant would make some money from my referrals.

Yes, I may understand that as long as you're making more money than what you have spend, you may not care too much about leaks or other details, but sooner or later, eventually the time will come when you will find out that you was just another (fill in the blank) affiliate, that not only have been working for free for that merchant, but also had made that merchant think that they can getaway with any BS they want, because there always be affiliates that are willing to work for less than they deserve, so they would not care about what the rest of us think or say.

Buy hey: Sweet Dreams - I rest my case.

ABW Ambassador
    Superstar is right. Merchants aren't your partners, you don't have agreements with them in place, they shouldn't be focused on converting the traffic you send them, be happy with what they allow you to earn and shut your mouths you ungrateful little @#$@!!!s

Chet

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Superstar is right. Merchants aren't your partners, you don't have agreements with them in place, they shouldn't be focused on converting the traffic you send them, be happy with what they allow you to earn and shut your mouths you ungrateful little @#$@!!!s

Chet
    What a refreshing post...
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast