View Poll Results: What percentage of online sales do your affiliate ones account for?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 15%

7 50.00%
  • 15 - 20%

5 35.71%
  • 21 - 30%

1 7.14%
  • 31 - 40%

0 0%
  • 41 - 50%

1 7.14%
  • 51 - 60%

0 0%
  • 61 - 70%

0 0%
  • 71 - 80%

0 0%
  • 81 - 90%

0 0%
  • over 90%

0 0%
    Question Merchants/AMs: What Part of Sales do Affiliate Ones Account for?
    Not sure about other OPMs, but one of the most frequently asked questions that I hear from prospective clients is: what percentage of online sales will my affiliate channel ones account for once the program picks up?

Yesterday (at the UK affiliate marketing conference) I have heard the range of 25%-30% quoted (for BT Broadband program, and a couple others). My experience has shown that in a fairly developped program affiliate sales account for anywhere between 20% and 60% of all online sales.

What is your experience (currently)? The question is really geared at merchants, in-house affiliate managers, and OPMs.

I am making this a sigle vote option poll. So if you're managing more than one affiliate program, pick an average figure please (or if the ones you have are just too far apart, please compute the average for the programs that are 6+ months old).

Many thanks in advance for your input.

From the statistic steadpoint, such a poll should be useful for OPMs and affiliate networks (in that they will be able to include these figures in their merchant recruitment campaigns), and it should be also useful for newly started affiliate programs (to know what to aim for).

Geno

From what I've heard, it's all over the board. For some of the mega companies who have been around forever, it's often in the 10% (of ONLINE sales) range (which is still a tremendous amount of sales). I know of some really small niche sites that started without any marketing other than their affiliate programs and they see 80-90% or more. I think the 20-30% range is pretty reasonable for most companies.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That's kind of what I'm thinking too, Michael. The more established your online presence is before you start an affiliate program -- the less the percentage I've asked about. However, I was quite impressed to hear that BT (British Telecom) reaps 30% their all online sales (yes, we're definitely talking only online sales here) off the affiliate channel. Hence the poll...

Geno

I agree with Geno and Michael here. Affiliate programs should compliment your other marketing strategies.
    Jamie
    Affiliate Manager
    Share Results Affiliate Network
    Join the Share Results Affiliate Network today! [URL=http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php]http://www.shareresults.com/ai_affiliatesignup1.php [/URL]
    e. jamie@shareresults.com
    t. 514-849-8595
    www.shareresults.com

I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world. - Muhammad Ali

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    It's like Michael said, I think its really all over.

The average I have seen is about 10-20% and it really depends on many variables and verticals, but I think basically the more a merchant can promote on their own and get exposure to their store and sales through other channels such as google products, eBay, yahoo store, etc on their own, the more their sales will increase and the percentage of their sales be higher through an established long term affiliate program.

http and a telephoto
    I tell merchants it should be in the 15-20% range, but if they are a new site they expect it to be higher. I didn't vote because there isn't an average that I can vote for that is accurate. This is a question that has a lot of variables and can't be quantified easily, no matter who is asking or answering.

There are too many "it depends" to answer first.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    The smaller the merchant, the unknowns, the ones first starting up on the internet, no brand recognition, affiliates could count for a big chunk.

A major brand, like a Walmart, Sony, JCPenney, drop in the bucket.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    We've had small clients where affiliate revenue has been as high as 70%. And large clients where it is as low as 5%. It really depends on what other marketing (and how well it is done) a merchant is doing and how well known their brand is.

Cheers

chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    ...It really depends on what other marketing (and how well it is done) a merchant is doing and how well known their brand is.
    It does... That is why I was somewhat surprised with the BT Broadband aff. program's stats on this front. Maybe they are just investing heavily (financially and time-wise) into their affiliate marketing channel.

Geno

Is this research for your next book?
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    Is this research for your next book?
    Answer: No.

Additional comment: You will never guess the subject of the next book, but I am sure you will enjoy it.

Geno

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It depends. From the merchants that I spoke to, it is usually <5%. It depends on lots of variable. i.e. Do they have a TV campaign or a deep pocket PPC. If have a strong TV, magazine, catalog, PPC marketing campaign.. the affiliate program can be 1-2% of the business.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread