What makes a good Affiliate Relations Manager (publisher - not merchant)?
    I'd like to know what everyone considers the primary duties of an Affiliate Program Manager for a website to be.

We currently have an AFP, but early on, I never clearly defined duties (they seem to be evolving as our business evolves and changes) and now I'm wishing I had had the foresight to define those particular duties.

I guess I'm just looking for a list of daily duties so I can know if I'm expecting too much or too little.

Thanks!

-- Racer

Racer,

These links should be of help:

Responsibilities of Affiliate Manager

Merchants Best Practices Forum

Best of luck!!

Geno

Thanks for the quick reply, Geno! After reading that first link, I realized I was referring to an entirely different position..

I am a publisher, not a merchant.

I have a manager of my affiliate relationships and programs.

I'm looking for recommendations on duties for a person who maintains my affiliations with merchants on my (publisher) website.

Your affiliate manager has to be honnest..
    That's what the biggest problem of today is they all say they are going to pay you but then suddenly they don't do it annymore...
    Annyway I found one that pays out, because when I earn money he also, so why would he demotivate me...

OK. Please re-read post #3.

I'm not a merchant.

I am an affiliate (publisher of content).

I am looking for the specific duties associated with the role of Affiliate Programs Manager for me, the affiliate. Someone who applies for affiliate programs for our website.

We have someone right now who manages our relationships with merchants, but I wanted to see if any of you had any specific requirements from people when you bring them onboard with your company and/or website?

I never clearly defined duties (they seem to be evolving as our business evolves and changes) and now I'm wishing I had had the foresight to define those particular duties.
    I think you said it there. How could you rigidly define something so new? Don't you have time to work with this person and learn what he is doing and tell him what you expect?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    OK. Please re-read post #3.

I'm not a merchant.

I am an affiliate (publisher of content).

I am looking for the specific duties associated with the role of Affiliate Programs Manager for me, the affiliate. Someone who applies for affiliate programs for our website.

We have someone right now who manages our relationships with merchants, but I wanted to see if any of you had any specific requirements from people when you bring them onboard with your company and/or website?

It appears to me that you have created a title/position in your operation that most of us are unfamiliar with. I do understand what you are saying but most of us (I think) handle those duties ourselves or with a partner or two. It would be nice to have an affiliate operation(website) large enough to assign an employee to handle those duties full time.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    I guess I'm just looking for a list of daily duties so I can know if I'm expecting too much or too little.
    Roles and expectations change over time in any business. I'd recommend sitting down with your AFP and reviewing their current duties and how much time is spent on each task. Create your own list of duties that you feel are important to the success of the position and combine the 2 lists, prioritize them and set goals. You should have regular meetings with your AFP to review progress and to re-prioritize.

This is a dynamic industry and if you're not constantly reviewing your successes and failures you'll crash and burn.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    RacerX, I retitled the thread for you or you would keep getting the AM answers instead of what you are really looking for.

As to your question, you have defined a new position that is unique within your own company, so you would need to define the tasks that go along with that. It would be interesting to hear what other people that have assistants in their companies do, but I am not sure if they want to share exactly what their employees are responsible for
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Roles and expectations change over time in any business. I'd recommend sitting down with your AFP and reviewing their current duties and how much time is spent on each task. Create your own list of duties that you feel are important to the success of the position and combine the 2 lists, prioritize them and set goals. You should have regular meetings with your AFP to review progress and to re-prioritize.

This is a dynamic industry and if you're not constantly reviewing your successes and failures you'll crash and burn.

-rematt
    Thanks rematt.

This is very good advice.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    There are definitely people in position like that which AM's work with. Unfortunately, there is no definition. You can try to contact these people to inquire: http://www.linkedin.com/search?searc...ons+manager%22

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread