Affiliate Application Process
    In an effort to streamline our affiliate program applications so some don't get lost in the shuffle (there are so many to apply for and so little time) I proposed the following to my manager yesterday:

Apply for program, wait for 7 days
    If rejected, apply again and wait another 3 days
    If rejected or still pending after 10 days, CALL to get a resolution.

I think 10 days is more than enough time to wait for approval.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this? Do you do it differently? Do you call first? How long would you expect to wait before contacting a merchant program manager again?

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX
    Apply for program, wait for 7 days
    If rejected, apply again and wait another 3 days
    If rejected or still pending after 10 days, CALL to get a resolution.
    I'd recommend contacting the merchant to see why you were rejected before applying again. Sites can be rejected for a variety of reasons, if there's something that the AM doesn't like on your site there's no point in reapplying until you've corrected the problem. In some case an overview of how you intend to promote them is all that's needed to get the approval.

Also, if you have multiple sites, the AM may not have viewed the correct one.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Racer,

If you are really interested in the program and getting started right away, here's what I'd do:

• Make sure you have the site you want reviewed for the application listed in the network or on your application. A lot of my denials are due to a lack of a logical fit for the site submitted.
    • If you can, drop an email or give a call to let me know your applying and give me an idea of what you have planned. This is especially important if you want to list one of my programs on a site that's in the works.
    • If you get denied, but think a mistake was made, email or call and make your case. Don't lash out. Aff Managers are busy folks and sometimes we make quick decisions and miss something. I almost always will side with an affiliate who calls up and shows passion and interest in working with me.
    • If you aren't getting applications acted on within 3-4 days... I'd think twice about the program.
    I've always felt as a Manager that it makes sense to make approval decisions quickly to give affiliates a chance to act while their interest is high.

Managers, make some way of contacting you available. I'm amazed when I log in and look around in CJ and some of the other networks how many programs provide no way to ask questions before joining.

Happy Selling,

Wade Tonkin
    GTO Management LLC - www.gtomanagement.com - wade@gtomanagement.com

Outsourced Program Manager kgarcia's Avatar
    Hi Racer,

I agree - 10 days is more than ample time to have an application reviewed. I try to review all applications within 24 - 48 hours tops. If the program you are applying to can't approve you in less than 10 days, they most likely won't be responsive to any other requests from you.

A few pieces of general advice on applications:

Double check your URLs - you would be surprised how many commas and typos folks make in their URLs and managers don't always have the time to try to figure out what you really meant.
    Update your info regularly - if you've added 10 new sites since you joined a network and they are not listed on your app, there's no way for me to know they even exist. Also, remove dead sites regularly. If you have 20 sites listed and most of them are dead links, you'll probably be declined.
    Make it easy for a manager to talk to you - communication is paramount and if I have a question on your application and if your app and website don't have a way to contact you and your whois info is hidden, it's very difficult to do so.
    Read before applying - when it comes down to it, managers don't want to have to decline you. The more great affiliates, the better! But sometimes merchants have specific guidelines of what sort of content is allowed. Sometimes there is good reason, sometimes not, but if you read the contract ahead of time, you should be able to tell if there are any of these restrictions in place. If you are uncertain if your site is a good fit or you want clarification, email the manager and talk about it.
    Be courteous - if you do get declined, ask the manager why and be professional. You may have been declined for something very simple like a typo, but badgering and brow beating a manager with curse and threat laden emails over the matter will not get you approved.

If you do get denied, don't take it personally - it has nothing to do with your personal worth or the worth of your site. Contact the manager and ask why you were declined and what needs to be done to get approved. More often than not, that display of interest and willingness to have open communication is more than enough to get you approved.

Final suggestion for all you fantastic dyed-in-the-wool search affiliates...some of the best search folks out there have put together a simple landing page for their apps. They provide contact information as well as an explanation of what they plan on doing. Very simple, very quick. If you are a search affiliate without any network stats yet, this makes all the difference in the world in differentiating yourself.

Pax,
    Karen
    Karen Garcia
    [URL=http://lab6media.com]Lab6 Media[/URL]
    Are you a content creator? A serial entrepreneur? New to the space or a long time player? We'd love to work with you!
    [URL=http://lab6media.com/clients/]Explore the affiliate programs we manage![/URL]

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Great advce from Karen on the search affiliates.

I have had a couple guys apply liek his at JesusBranded.com that turned out to be great for us and they made the review process easy.

Happy Selling,

Wade Tonkin
    GTO Management
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread