Talking GoldenCan & Google Page Rank
    I wasn't sure where to post this so if the moderator feels that it should go somewhere else, please move it.

I have a question that I need some help with. The 4 sites that I have all revolve around the GoldenCan data feeds and 90% of our commissions come from merchants who use GoldenCan. Over the last year I have seen the Google Page Rank on 3 of the sites go down. My biggest site has gone from a PR5 to a PR3 and now a PR2 with the latest PR updates as of yesterday. Another busy site has gone from a PR4 to a PR3 and now a PR2. A year old site has gone from a PR3 to a PR2 and my newest is a PR2. Has others that use GC seen the same for their sites? Are there so many people using GC that we are now beening penalized due to dupilicate content? Imput would be appreciated.

No idea about GC, but Google has been on a bit of a tear this month, knocking down visible PR on sites that sell links. Could that be it?
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

No we don't sell or buy links. We do exchange links but only using the LinkMarket program.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I just did some checking and the one site I've done that was built around GC (as opposed to other sites with some GC included) that went online earlier this year and got a PR2 within a couple of months and had stayed there, is now zero.

Steele - I have no paid links/sell no links, and most of my sites have now dropped in PR, but as discussed here google SERPS and gone up despite lower PR.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    For GoldenCan, are you using the javascript version or the (advanced) php version?

Most people use the javascript version of GC and most search bots can't or don't read the GC data in that case. This is both an advantage and disadvantage. If you're relying on the products loaded from GC to be your page's content, bots can't see it. If you're worried about duplicate content penalty, since javascript makes the products invisible to bots, you can skip the worrying (but you do need to put some of your own content on the page).

I've seen a lot of GC sites that rank well, still, so I'm thinking you've got SEO issues besides GC - but it's hard to tell from here with the very limited info you've provided.

Good luck in the serps!

I only use the PHP version.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Then you may be getting caught in some duplicate content filters. Are you adding much custom content to your pages as well?

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    No we don't sell or buy links. We do exchange links but only using the LinkMarket program.
    Might be that Google now views link exchange "programs" as quasi-link farms and/or akin to selling links. That would be a bad thing.

Inbound links from related sites - that ad to the user experience is what the big G is looking for. Anything less is lowering their page "quality" - which may now be affecting PR. (It actually goes deeper than that, or a competitor could mess up a site's ranking with "bogus" links. Be assured, that G knows what link programs are out there.)

Personally I always delete any type of link request (and I get a lot) from anything other that a site owner's email. Then I review the site and may, just may, provide a reciprocal link. But actually, very few of my inbound OR outbound links are "reciprocal" in nature. Instead I link out to sites that may really add value to my readers' browsing experience. And I hope that sites linking to mine do the same.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of sites page rank has gone down. There's lots of stuff about it around the web, most talking about sites buying and selling links taking a hit http://searchengineland.com/071007-173841.php
    and some have because of that but also there has been a general lowering. I remember this happening before awhile back where it looked like just about every site took a hit. If your traffic hasn't changed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Are you adding much custom content to your pages as well?
    Yes I try to.

I spoke with a friend who has over 10 sites - some with GC and others without. All 10 went down in PR. I have yet to hear anyone say they went up in PR so I won't worry about it!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread