Actually selling products and affiiate programs together?
    Hi guys,

In addition to my affiliate web sites, I have been making and selling a line of products for a little while and I am thinking of starting a web site featuring these items. There is a lot of space for adding more items in this area but I wouldn't actually be making them myself.

My question is, do any of you actually sell a product and fill in any gaps with affiliate programs?

Is it difficult for your customers to understand that item A will ship from a different location than item B(if it's from an affiliate merchant)?

Any suggestions on whether I should or shouldn't attempt this are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bettylou

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bettylou

My question is, do any of you actually sell a product and fill in any gaps with affiliate programs?

Is it difficult for your customers to understand that item A will ship from a different location than item B(if it's from an affiliate merchant)?

Post banners or text links for your affiliated merchant. Do not mislead your customer. I label these affiliate promotions as advertisers or sponsors.

My advice is to advertise merchants who have products that are related to your products. IE.....you sell french fries and promote merchants who sell catsup.

Just my opinion.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    How I do it:

My aff sites -->links to my merchant sites whereever I can fit 'em in.

My merchant sites--> Hell no, no links out, there is no other store of interest on the entire internet, dammit!

sell a product and fill in any gaps with affiliate programs?
    If I'm not selling it, it "doesn't exist," as far as my merchant sites are concerned.

The reasonings:
    1) To buy from an affiliate link, the customer has to go away. That's fine when you have a straight-up affiliate site, and the only way you make money from them is if they do go away! But, when YOUR register is sitting there waiting for attention, the customers need to be directed to it without distraction.

1a) People who go away before actually buying something, may never get around to coming back. It's counterproductive to give them links off the site.

2) Affiliate program = 10% of the txn. Merchant site = 100% of the txn (minus expenses). There may be a couple of programs where the commission, in raw dollar terms, is actually greater than the profits as a merchant--but in those cases, it's better to expand your own product line. Or, to promote the Highly Profitable Thing on some aff-dedicated site, so the customer doesn't do the either-or scenario.

3) Branding. How hokey and non-confidence-inspiring it would be for a customer to end up at a merchant that is mostly promoting other stores! Might as well call your site ThisIsJustAHobby.com! What's fine or even good for an affiliate site can be toxic to a merchant site.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread