Action Jackson - King of the World
    Performics inactivity
    Got a slew of merchants at Performics that sent out emails saying they were gonna terminate because of activity. Especially at this time of year. Since they came from Performics it's obvious that Performics as a network is the one that is totally clueless.

ABW Ambassador
    Somebody posted that in the CJ forum too. I said the same thing you did, this time of year. It's the best quarter of the year, holiday time. Not a time to terminate affiliates.

They did the same to me and I'm going to let them slide.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Somebody posted that in the CJ forum too. I said the same thing you did, this time of year. It's the best quarter of the year, holiday time. Not a time to terminate affiliates.
    An absolutely clueless decision for sure.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    I received the e-mail also. I read it as a threat to step up the action or they will deactive me. Some Performics merchants disappeared from my sites last night.

That leaves space for merchants who have products that may sell better.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I have a lot of merchants that I only make sales for at holiday times, the rest of the year nothing. I agree it is a bad time now to drop people.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I think they are mainly looking for a response of some sort from the affiliates to ensure they are still there?

We hope to hear from you with your intent to begin promoting One Stop Plus! If we do not hear back from you by Thursday, November 1, 2007, please be advised that One Stop Plus may choose discontinue the partnership.

I received the same emails. Who in their right mind would do something like this during the 4th quarter? This is the definition of moronic...

It's one of the most stupid things a merchant can do. I just consider it a blessing in disguise. If they're going to be a clueless merchant, I'd rather find out before I get a chance to put them on a site. If they want to remove themselves from my "to do list", there are 1000 other merchants that are more than happy to move up a slot or two.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    It sounds like the decision of the merchant as I hear AM's lament about having to write affiliate metrics reports. Consider it a gift from a merchant who will probably terminate you unless you are the Top 10.

What I want to here is, are there merchants who come back a year later and try to get you active again? The first thing I do when I take over a program that has been running for years is look who had generated some sales and see if I can get them going again.

I've had some come back later trying to recruit me again. I don't hold grudges, so they usually go back up on the list. They're usually not as high on the list, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I don't hold grudges, so they usually go back up on the list
    I sure DO hold grudges, and they won't go back on the list.

There are a ton of merchants in the vertical, and even though the merchant I'm agitated about has stuff I can easily push because they have great prices on what I know is good value to promote once I get a certain site finished that has proven, previewed viral potential (plus another that has generated a LOT off only_one_page) there's a price to pay for groveling that isn't worth it.

If we allow ourselves to be treated like despicable, worthless trailer trash, we start to believe it, and once that happens we're done for. What are we supposed to do, bow down, grovel and BEG them to be allowed to stay in the programs so we can send them customers?

I think they just want some kind of answer, to tell we're still alive.

I note in my case it was four merchants, but the same AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    If we allow ourselves to be treated like despicable, worthless trailer trash, we start to believe it, and once that happens we're done for. What are we supposed to do, bow down, grovel and BEG them to be allowed to stay in the programs so we can send them customers?
    That's not their intention. Usually, they just don't understand that they're making a big mistake. Sometimes things improve under new management (and affiliate management changes frequently). Sometimes they become educated (and ABW, Andy's Seminar's, Geno's book, Revenue Magazine, Affiliate Summit, and other things help). I don't see any sense in holding a grudge in these cases.

I'm certainly not saying we should beg them to stay in the programs. Quite the opposite. I'm saying that this is a good sign to avoid their program until/unless they change their policies. Only after they change am I saying that they should they be given another chance.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ

Sometimes I get messages like these and I respond, but a response to the merchants who contacted me wasn't worth it.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Tax Paying Member

Actually I had recently updated the links of one merchant who was mentioned in the e-mails that I received, so it is more than just checking for live bodies.

I would venture a guess that all of our notices came from the same AM. Probably a new person under pressure to make a showing.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

The 2 merchants who got in touch with me didn't provide the byols (build your own links a year or two ago) so I just went on and didn't check back to see if they had improved; without byols I really can't do much and my interest in the program plummets.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    The 2 merchants who got in touch with me a year or two back didn't provide the byols (build your own links) so I just went on and didn't check back to see if they had improved; without byols I really can't do much and my interest in the program plummets.
    Same here. It would be so much simpler if PFX would provide this info in their New Advertiser Alert descriptions or in the Available Advertiser info, so we would know not to bother with applying to merchants we cannot promote.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I got 3 of them. First, I made a list of parasites that each of these merchant had in their program - ebates, shopathomeselect, buyersport, etc.

Then I looked at my stats for other merchants in the same category and found that the others were converting at much better rates. The best performing merchants were small independents or non-big network merchants.

I think I'd be better off dropping these 3 merchants and increase the number of referrals to my best converters. I'm in agreement with Leader (in another thread) about the concept of a mini-mall site vs. big malls. My best strategy in the long run may be to spend more time dropping merchants and shrinking my mall site.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    The 2 merchants who got in touch with me didn't provide the byols (build your own links a year or two ago) so I just went on and didn't check back to see if they had improved; without byols I really can't do much and my interest in the program plummets.
    I was noticing the same thing. The merchants I got the notice from were ones that didn't have BYOL when I signed up and were providing creatives that were either coupons or ones that are only meant for branding purposes.
    ~Ernie

ABW Ambassador
    I hate to drop merchants until I have a very strong reason to. An email requsting for "ativities" with a deadline is among one of those .

I felt really sorry to drop two merchants(same AM, same emails) yesterday. Although I was just starting to update one of the merchants' links last week. Sometimes it take much longer than I thought to come around to the next merchants on my to-do list

I received emails appearing to be from five of my merchants. After re-reading the emails which are simply a form letter, I have drawn the conclusion that the letters are not from each merchant but rather a doubleclick employ who is the Performics program manager for these merchants. I have seen this same approach from CJ. If I am dropped, I will be one less of their affiliates that the parasites can continue to steal from. If they drop enough of us, the sales credited to the parasitic affiliates will drop off and their overall revenue will deminish. That is when they will be contacting us to rejoin.

Sorry about that!!!!

Gene
    TCS

I got one of the "get active or get lost" emails. For me it's just letting me know it's a mis-managed program and I'm better off without it anyway. All they did was save me the trouble of having to find out for myself. Just makes it easier on me to drop them now.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread