Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    From PR0 to PR4 Overnight
    I assume google just did a pagerank update or maybe it's just a fluke. I noticed the pagerank a few days ago and it was 0. Today, to my surprise, it shows a 4. Who knows, maybe it will be back to a 0 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I assume google just did a pagerank update or maybe it's just a fluke. I noticed the pagerank a few days ago and it was 0. Today, to my surprise, it shows a 4. Who knows, maybe it will be back to a 0 tomorrow.
    Well, that's always good news. Seems like Google just reshuffled the cards a bit and a lot of sites were dealt a new hand. Many sites with "sold" link sections were lowered, as I imagine, were others using link exchange services or programs. But if you haven't used any "black hat" SEO methods, you might find that the PR4 sticks around.

I haven't found that any of my sites went down and a couple even went up a notch here and there. So I am a happy camper, as you must be right now. Good luck on keeping it there.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Google just did a Toolbar PageRank update. They haven't done one for quite some time.

With this updae, there were many more sites that showed declines rather than gains in PageRank. Directories got hit particularly hard. It's believed to be part of Google's campain to discourage link sales.

Toolbar PageRank is superficial anyways. It has not affected rankings for the past couple of years.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

It's just one of the google updates but as everybody already mentioned, they made some drastic changes
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

I don't even think pagerank means much anymore. I think google just updats it to fool the blackhat seo companies into trying to build high pr, instead of Search Rank.

My main site has almost no pagerank, and has been around for years, but I get decent traffic, and am high on the search terms for some popular terms. Another site of mine has better rank, but get almost no traffic.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think it's all about search rankngs, and not page rank. My site thrives on traffic, not on rankings. There are plenty of PR6 or PR7 sites and you run alexa on them, and they aren't even ranked.

Traffic is what really matters. That shows that you have good rankings for at least some popular search phrases.

The popularity of your targeted search phrases is important. A number one rank position is worthless if it is for a phrase that no one uses in a search.

People who focus on solely on building PageRank are just spinining their wheels.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    PR is essentially meaningless I hate to say.

Unlike in days past it is not a good reflection of either page rank or relevant content. Just do a search for nearly any topic and review the results. Many of the top 10 sites will make no sense to you.

I had heard that Google was considering dropping their page ranking altogether at one point but had serious negative feedback so they decided to keep it.

However I believe what they show as PR much the same as what they show for backlinks is no longer relevant or accurate. (For the backlinks comments check Google vs. Yahoo or Live).

Having said all that, though, its never a bad thing to be ranked higher in any rating system. Good job.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    Traffic is what really matters. That shows that you have good rankings for at least some popular search phrases.

The popularity of your targeted search phrases is important. A number one rank position is worthless if it is for a phrase that no one uses in a search.

People who focus on solely on building PageRank are just spinining their wheels.
    I couldn’t agree more.

I used to be a pagerank junkie, I could care less now.

People are so paranoid about it and focusing on it, I’d rather spend my time creating good solid content, working on creating backlinks, keyword phrases, and traffic.

To give you an example; although one of my competitors has a higher pankrank (pr6 vs pr4) then I do, I rank higher then them in 8 of the 10 highest keywords/phrases for my site in Google and Yahoo. Enough said!

I only looked at the PR after seeing a lot more commissions rolling in and wanted to see what was going on.

Even my website faced same problem it was 4 again became 0 again 4 now 3 even i am having more visitors than ever ok frankly i do t care about pr

Here I would like to tell Pr is bullshit no matter how good your page rank is but it matters when u get more visitors without pr and one thing how many guys using google tool bar in their system very few so do t concentrate on pr better target SERP

Wow, that's quite a run-on sentence you have there.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Based on the lastest round of PR I have now completely divorced myself from looking at it as a useful tool or yardstick.

Its a shame. It was a great tool for so long.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

actually might be google tool bar is being used by people but most of the cases they do not activated pr option and again i would like to tell here do not run behind page rank better spend more time to get quality links and content...........

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    PR is essentially meaningless I hate to say.
    Totally agree, PR is way over rated if not useless.

Joey

For a newbie in search and net marketing, it sucks to hear/read so many different conflictiong viewpoints on PR. (and how to build it, etc)

I started blogging a few months ago this year, and every big time blog i visited, suggested to build backlinks in various ways. All of which apparently now are considered blackhat by Google and members here at ABW.

Now a ton of folks have lost or decreased their PR because of this advice/suggestion. Somehow i received PR4 on two blogs, and to be honest, i'm not sure how i got it, and how long it will remain. The whole google dependence thing really bugs me.

I think it maybe because i never got around to doing sponsored posts for PPP, Sponsored Reviews, etc. But the funny thing is i couldnt because i didnt have PR, so when the update came around, i was happy, cause i figured, o.k. cool, now i might be approved to do some reviews.

But then the whole thing hit the fan, and now, i cant take advantage of a really good way to make some extra (and much needed) bucks.

Jeez!

Here is the definitive answer regarding PR from someone who has worked with SEO for 10 years. Do not waste your time focusing on it. It no longer gets you higher rankings, so it is nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

What really matters is building sites with interesting content that people want to link to. It's hard to come up with a good idea, but if you do, traffic will come your way.

Never judge a site by rankings alone. A #1 position in Google is worthless if it's for a keyword phrase that no one searches for.

Qualified traffic is much important than rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    nothing more than lipstick on a pig.
    Indeed. A slightly different problem with PR, especially especially with sudden inexplicable PR0 is a matter of appearance - If your site is targeting a senior tech-savvy audience who cut their teeth back in the days when PR actually meant something and they are the kind of folk who use the google toolbar (which I believe only updates its displayed PR once every three months or so). I have that problem with a site now, old-ish domain did a complete overhaul and suddenly PR dropped to 0, but organic traffic has virtually doubled. I'll keep the traffic thank you, but I wish I could fix the #$%^ PR0

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread