More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Ebay Mixed With Non-Ebay?
    I added ebay listings to a niche gift site I have. I am wondering if this was a good idea. The niche gifts are notoriously marked up so the ebay listings are typically 1/4-1/2 the price of non-ebay, even for new items. Are shopper's eyes opened to how high the prices are when they see this discrepancy? I am thinking that they check out the ebay listings, decide they don't want to buy the new regular product and are also are not ready to buy a "new" gift from ebay. The ebay sellers have new products, but they are typically small unknown merchants that the buyer is not wanting to buy for that "special gift". So perhaps the buyer is simply disenchanted all the way around?

I mix ebay with non-ebay on a different collector's site - I think that is probably a good mix and have made a bunch of ebay commissions. I am not so sure on this niche gift site however.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Pretty much the only time I use eBay is as a replacement for a product that is no longer available from a merchant. It's better than ditching the page altogether and it offers another resource for shoppers who are desperately trying to find something that's discontinued.

I agree. Payouts are just too low with eBay. I usually average about $0.10 per click with eBay, so I don't use them unless I can't get that much out of something else. They're great for things that aren't available anywhere else.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I agree. Payouts are just too low with eBay. I usually average about $0.10 per click with eBay, so I don't use them unless I can't get that much out of something else. They're great for things that aren't available anywhere else.
    That's a question I've mulled over for quite a while. If If have a page of "widgets in various colors", that pay $10 commissions, and then an ebay rover link to "more colors" that pay $1 commissions, when I sell one through ebay is it someone paying less for the same product that I have shown, and I might be losing money, or is it someone buying a color I don't otherwise have available, and thus it's a sale I would not have otherwise received?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I tend to group merchants into three categories:

1. superstars who convert very well
    2. merchants who convert reasonably well
    3. merchants who don't convert well but they have products I need

I will mix products from category 1 and 2 merchants on the same page.

Category 3 merchants get their own page because I don't want them diluting the sales of the Category 1 and 2 merchants. Additionally I make sure that I provide links on these pages to direct shoppers to my more productive merchants.

Category 1 merchants frequently also get their own page because I want to promote the heck out of their products.

It's only common sense not to mix crap merchants with good performers.

Similar to the effect mentioned by Rhea, these ebay merchants are possibly diluting my other merchants value.

Thanks for all your input! I am going to remove the ebay links from my menu bar and leave a tiny link to my ebay pages on my home page at the bottom, just to keep them in the SERPs. Then, get rolling for the holiday season.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Keep in mind that people clicking through your eBay links may or may not buy the item(s) you're linking to, but a significant number will buy something. I had one high-traffic page where I was linking to something really cheap that was only found (with an affiliate program) on eBay. The item disappeared from eBay, but I didn't realize it for a while. My ebay sales hardly dropped.

Many price comparison sites include eBay, so they must see some value to it. I think a certain group of consumers will check eBay for anything they buy anyway, so you might as well make a commission by including them. Another group will never buy from eBay, so having them listed doesn't make a big difference. Then there's the group who are going to buy and would probably buy from another merchant if you didn't list eBay but will buy from eBay if you do list them with a lower price. You just have to determine how big of a group that really is. Perhaps some A/B tetsing would be in order if you have enough traffic. Show eBay to half. Measure the results and see if the eBay revenue offsets the drop in revenue for the other merchants. Hmm, I might try that on one of my sites where I can make those types of changes and measure results fairly easily.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Keep in mind that people clicking through your eBay Perhaps some A/B tetsing would be in order if you have enough traffic. Show eBay to half. Measure the results and see if the eBay revenue offsets the drop in revenue for the other merchants. Hmm, I might try that on one of my sites where I can make those types of changes and measure results fairly easily.
    Testing with and without would probably be a good idea. I can make the switches for all pages in a matter of 5 minutes.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread