Post Have You Ever Been to Sweden?
    My Dear ABestWeb Friends,

Today I have arrived in Stockholm. Not sure how many of you have been to Sweden, but here are just a few reasons you want to come:

• Going thru the passport control on international flights (at the Stockholm airport) takes no longer than 2 minutes.
    • All taxis accept credit cars + some have WiFi Internet on board!
    • Everyone I have met so far (including total strangers) speak English.
    • Security at the hotels (although I can only speak for mine, which is by far not the most expensive one in this city) is at a highest level (e.g.: to get to the elevators - you need to stick your room key-card into a lock similar to the one on your room's door; if you don't have one - forget about entering the floor! also, once you're out of that elevator, to enter your own floor you need to pass yet another similar locked door).
    • Girls, while greeting, kiss not only once on the cheek, but thrice (may not be relevant for women )

The only down side I have noticed so far is that alcohol is quite expensive (but, I bet, this keeps them healthier!! so is it a down side after all?!). A fairly inexpensive (in England and other parts of Europe) Pinot Grigio cost me over $30 for two glasses at a restaurant tonight.

A few "surprises":

• Elevators (at least the ones I have seen so far) do not have self-opening doors: to enter it (or to get out of it) you need to open the door by hand.
    • E-mails sent within the country have weird extentions (e.g.: intead of a country extention an e-mail address at tele2.se will end like at tele.2).
    • They are still on Swedish Kornas (not Euros like the rest of Europe) even though they are a part of the E.U.

Hope everyone has had as great a weekend as myself*.

Geno

*Over the short two days I have been to London, UK (where I attended a conference, and also saw a dear Cambridge friend of mine), St. Petersburg, Russia (where I spent close to 24 hours with my dearest daughter and wife) and Stockholm, Sweden (where I have arrived just 3 hours ago, but am already most impressed).

ABW Ambassador
    Wow - good for you Geno. You seem to be always on the move and having fun

Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    Wow - good for you Geno. You seem to be always on the move and having fun

It's work, R. But work has got to be fun along the way, hasn't it? It's been a pleasure meeting you in Phoenix a week ago.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov

It's work, R. But work has got to be fun along the way, hasn't it? It's been a pleasure meeting you in Phoenix a week ago.

Geno
    I completely understand, it is work and got to be fun (otherwise, why bother with it ). It has been a pleasure meeting you in Phoenix as well

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    The closest I've ever been to Sweden is Long Island, but, MrsHound, way back when in her musician days, once spent some time playing with an orchestra in Sweden. She still has very fond memories of a great time there.

I'm curious about the entry and elevator system in the hotels you described. So, any visitor would have to "check in" at the front desk and get their own key to go to a guest's room? Or do they totally prohibit visitors from going to guest floors?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I'm curious about the entry and elevator system in the hotels you described. So, any visitor would have to "check in" at the front desk and get their own key to go to a guest's room? Or do they totally prohibit visitors from going to guest floors?
    It does look like the only way to get to the elevators or the guest floors is with a guest. Interesting, isn't it? I kinda liked it though. Gives you a sense of real security.

Geno

Im from Sweden.
    Hope you enjoying your time in Sweden. It is a great country!
    One thing, the Swedish money is called "krona" and not kornois :P. Hopefully we wont change to EURO.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Glad you enjoyed your latest trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    It does look like the only way to get to the elevators or the guest floors is with a guest. Interesting, isn't it? I kinda liked it though. Gives you a sense of real security.

Geno
    I've seen a few motels like that here in the US.

Here, they only do that where they REALLY NEED lots of security. So it always makes me dread the next day, when I see just what kind of neighborhood I've really ended up in!

Everything tends to look okay at night...then the next day, you find out if it was really a high-class area, or notttt...

Haven't been there yet, but I'll go there in the beginning of December for couple of days. Considering, they are practically neighbors to Estonia, it's about time, I get there. Most of the time I'll be on the conference though, but hopefully will get some time to look around.

ABW Ambassador
    "Girls, while greeting, kiss not only once on the cheek, but thrice (may not be relevant for women"

I find this to be pretty cool. It's actually a place I want to visit. I remember seeing a Travels in Europe show by Rick Steeves on it.

@ Jensie:

Where in Sweden are you? I am actually planning on a spontaneous gettogether for affiliate marketers in Stockholm on 30 October.

@ Leader:

Interestig observation.

@ reneton:

Definitely visit! You have no excuse not to.

@ Trust:

Glad you've appreciated my observation. I thought it to be pretty cool too... You get 6 kisses altogether (greetings and farewells combined).

Geno

Glad you've appreciated my observation. I thought it to be pretty cool too... You get 6 kisses altogether (greetings and farewells combined).
    What? - Since you, are a married man, I don't know how can your wife let you get away with saying that!

Uh-oh..... [did I say something I should've not?]

Sal

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Just wondering what is the rational behind the high security at the hotels???

WiFi in taxis is just neat.

Don't forget to take some leisure time

Leisure time is for trips with family. When you're on your own it's just not fun allowing room for it, Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Just wondering what is the rational behind the high security at the hotels???
    Don't know. I was told by the taxi driver that this is a very upscale neighborhood the hotel is in. So.... no clue really. Maybe Jensie knows.

Yeah, I agree that the WiFi in taxis is just too neat!

Geno

So, I did visit the Stockholm and it is indeed as nice as Geno said. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to look around as I spent most of the daytime at conference. But people are nice there and it seems that all of them really do speak english and good english that is.
    Anyway, I think some day I'm gonna go back when I have more time to see the city and maybe rest of the Sweden.
    Last edited by reneton; December 16th, 2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo

We went back with my wife and daughter some two weeks ago. The girls enjoyed it enormously! We stayed at much fancier hotel than the one where I was staying on my vist visit, visited a lot of "touristy" places, bought many Christmas gifts for our friends and family.

We will definitely go back too.

Stockholm is gorgeous!!

Once of the things that struck me on my last visit is the quality of apartment houses. The main entrance of nearly each such house looks like a work of art (painting on on the walls and ceilings, marble columns, etc, etc).

I Stockholm.

Geno

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread