Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I am a bit annoyed, i have found a website, that has used some of my ideas, and has literally used the text word for word, etc. Even the layout is simliar, the boxes in the same place having the exact different borders etc.
    I am quite upset that there are people out there that will steal your ideas and not give a damn

I have emailed them letting them know that i have seen their website and that it resembles mine and i hope that i will not see any of my content there again.

What does everyone else do in this situation?

thanks
    Tamalyn

Oh, boy!

ABW Ambassador
    Do you have an address for this piece of human waste? Your best bet IMO is to let us know his/her website so each and every one of us can WELCOME, in our own words of course, this scumbag to the web~!

If that doesn't help, gimme a jingle and I'll polish up the inside of my 9mm Mausser . . .

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Yes, the best thing to do is let us know the websites so we can all let them know what we think of their website. Worked great when it happened to me. They were gone in a day!

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    thanks for that, but I will await this persons email back to me,

also this site is better than mine, more professional if you know what i mean, all done in php, etc. I would be embarassed!!

I am starting to calm down now.

Its not as though its that important, its just I do not want anybody to think i copied them, if you know what i mean, My site is mine, i do it all, on my own, and its hard work.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>also this site is better than mine, more professional if you know what i mean, all done in php, etc. I would be embarassed!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>THEY are the ones that NEED to MADE to not only FEEL embarrassed, but brought to the limelight that STEALING is NOT going to be tolerated and NOBODY is going to do business with a theif, no matter how supposedly professional LOOKING they might be.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

This has happened to me a few times, one even contacted me asking for a link exchange!!! A guess that's taking the 'exchange links with similar sites' idea a little too far. Another time a 'friend' I used to work with copied from one of my sites.
    Grrrrr!!
    You could contact their hosting company or get a lawyer to do it for you, but I just ignore it.. it isn't really worth me wasting my time on 'cos I've got a million other things to do.
    I hate the scumbags and think they should have their coding hands cut off, but if people have NO IDEAS OF THEIR OWN they are not going to succeed in business.
    After a long SCREAM I just let it pass and get on with building MY OWN stuff, coming up with MY OWN IDEAS etc.

Send an email to their web host if you do not hear from them within 24 hours. In addition, send an email to every company they are promoting. If they have a PR department, send that too. YOU MUST NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has happened to me a number of times, too.

What usually works is an email requesting removal of the material. Give people a way to save face - I usually suggest there's been some misunderstanding and perhaps they didn't realize that website content is subject to copyright law. Going in all guns blazing can provoke a "**** you!" reaction.

If that doesn't get a response, send a sterner letter inviting them to remove the content in order to avoid you having to involve lawyers. Send a copy of this to their hosting company and any other affiliations they may have.

Make sure you get screenshots of their pages and source code (especially if they've left something in the source code which makes it very clear that it's your content). You'll be surprised - I've found stolen content which still had my copyright notice in it.

Then if you still don't get a response and the web host etc. isn't interested, you can involve the lawyers. But unless your site is registered with the copyright authorities, proving who put the content up first can be a pain. In such cases, you might be best off accepting the fact. But console yourself with the knowledge that if they're too lazy to write their own content, chances are they're too lazy to represent serious business competition, either.

The only times I've not had success getting stolen material removed is when the website concerned has been in a country where they know full well I can't touch them legally.

ABW Ambassador
    this is the reply that i got

WOW there is a resemblance but I can say I haven’t seen you website and a lot of the ideas were not only mine but a few of my other admins.

The design used actually came from vb portal I used and I added the buttons on the top. I had my photo contest on the top like that for a long time and even the format was the same and those were my words describing my contest. Anyways sorry you feel I copied you but I didn’t.

that is rubbish, as i found her site by looking at my message board stats! they have obviously been doing it a while, cause a few things i have already taken off.

her website is http://www.mommiesplayground.com/

the photo competition is word for word exactly the same, she also has the same pregnancy calender - which is not stealing as it was free, and medical card, - which again is free, but she must have surfed through my site, thinking what shall i steal next.
    Tamalyns Baby Names

On the right hand corner, she has a shopping box, with links, which is exactly the same as mine, other thatn i have made seperate pages, and hers are just affiliate links. The 2nd box down, has the same dotted lines around it! her donation thing is the same text as mine, i have not got it on my main page anymore, but it is still on my error page
    error page

Now maybe i am a bit paranoid, please give me your views

Tamalyn

ABW Ambassador
    will someone tell me what to do?
    i have checked her source code,
    http://www.mommiesplayground.com/
    and when i clicked find and my name tamalyn, i found that my urls are in here source code, what an idiot!!! thanks for that tip, what do i do? i cnanot believe what a blatent lie she said!

Tamalyn

ABW Ambassador affiliatemakeover's Avatar
    Take screenshots of the source code and other offenses you believe are in effect. I'm not sure what the best course of action is next, but make sure you get your solid image proof first. Someone else will know what to do next.

ABW Ambassador
    thanks, i have taken screen shots, and got a copy of the cource code, I am now looking at all her backward links and emailing them with my proof! before she takes it down

Tamalyn

You can also use:

http://www.archive.org/
    "Take Me Back" service.

To get screen shots of Your website and
    theirs -- get the screen shots of your
    website Before theirs showed up with Your
    information. Make sure you have the
    dates on them. Then send these to
    their hosting company and to them proving
    you had the content Before they did!

Anne

Edited to include:
    I just ran www.mommiesplayground.com in the
    above service -- it's so new its not
    showing up yet. They created the domain on
    August 26, 2002, so if your website is older
    than that, then there's your proof.

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life.
    You are carving your destiny.
    ~Ruth Barrick Golden

[This message was edited by gettnthar on February 18, 2003 at 09:51 AM.]

A very effective alternative is to go to different hacker, warez groups and post a dare message for all the hackers to attempt to hack & destroy "your" website content. Tell them that "you" want to see if you left any variables uncovered against attacks open.

This is a sure fired way to accomplish total kaos and have a great laugh while watching. hehehehehe

DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    thanks i tried the archive bit, but it does not go back, for either of our sites!!!

tell me more about the hacking!!!

i might enjoy that

ABW Ambassador
    hi

yes, i made my website in july 2002, and have had the photo competition up for over a year! but with my urls in her source code, isn't that enough proof? she said she has never even seen my site, i don't think so

is anyone a dmoz editor? as she is listed in dmoz

ABW Ambassador
    could someone please get the whois details copy for her domain, and her webhosting details for me, as i have had a new computer, and whois.sc is having difficulties remembering me, and not letting me see anything - mad!
    thanks

also what do i do about her affiliation with cj.com etc, should i tell them?

Affiliate Manager
    Tamalyn-
    Sorry you're going through this- just as an fyi- I'm getting a page not found when trying to see her site now- looks like you did a good job grabbing screenshots quickly.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Registrant:
    Kari Frabel (MOMMIESPLAYGROUND-COM-DOM)
    2156 Ne 7th St
    Seattle, wa 98765
    USA
    kari3478@msn.com

Domain Name: MOMMIESPLAYGROUND.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Kari Frabel kari3478@msn.com
    2156 Ne 7th St
    Seattle, wa 98765
    USA

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    Kari Frabel kari3478@msn.com
    2156 Ne 7th St
    Seattle, wa 98765
    USA

Record last updated on 19-Sep-2002.
    Record expires on 26-Aug-2003.
    Record created on 26-Aug-2002.

Domain servers in listed order:

Name Server: ns1.hostinglink.org
    Name Server: ns2.hostinglink.org

ABW Ambassador
    thankyou for getting those details,

and yes she must have gotton worried, from everyone visiting her site from here, she must have checked her statistics and read it all, silly me!!!

Can't reach the site from here. Perhaps, she has taken it down already. I get "page can not be displayed" when clicking on the link.

Gene
    TCS

They got caught with their hand in your cookie jar!

I have been on both sides of this problem.:

I had some content on my site copied from another. Had an intern working on some copy, come to find out it was taken verbatim from another site. When the other site contacted me I took it down and was extremely sorry.

I have also found a few sites with content from my sites. I usually ask them nicely, then contact the host.

The stance they took was one I would not honor, and you really need to get the host involved. I have seen hosts shut sites down for similar problems.

If someone posts the whois info, keep it in your address book, the offensive party will more than likely do it again.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Tamalyn,

Been there, done this. I found 3 sites copying a particular high traffic page off one at my sites at one time. I don't even bother emailing the offending parties anymore. I go straight to filing a complaint with their hosting company. Copyright violations are illegal and in almost every hosting companies plan. It only gets really difficult when they have their own server. Here's what I do:

1. I do a Whois look-up. I've found that GeekTools look will provide more information many times than the one on NetSol.

2. Look at their DNS enteries. For the site it question it is hostinglink.org. Sometimes you can type in the DNS server such as www.hostinglink.org and will get to the hosting company. Sometimes that doesn't work as their bottom line hosting company is doing reseller. If i can find the hosting companies site, I'll look around there for a place to file a complaint. If not, I'll do a google search and see what I can come up with. If still no go (not unusual), I'll just fire off an email to something like abuse@hostinglink.org. I make sure that I put something in the title so they know it's not spam

3. Send the complaint email letting them know which domain of is infringing upon your domain. Give them the page url's to both the infringing site and yours.

4. You'll get back a form email explaining about the DMA from their legal department. They will give you a list of information they need to follow up on the complaint. Have as much information available as possilbe. URL's, screenshots, links to the archive.org (when available) to establish when your site had the content first published. The copies of the their source code is good. Also the logs showing them on your site. The more info the better.

They will review and forward it to the offending party. They then have a time period to either remove the content or respons for appeal. Many times they will appeal with stuff along the lines what you got from them already. You will be forwarded a copy of their response and will have the opportunity to rebuke it. That's when you really let loose with your evidence to establish that your content was published first.

So far I have had success in getting the offending parties to remove the content.

What I would suggest you don't to is contact them by phone or email. They can twist this around and use it to try and make it look like you just have a beef with them.

Also a good proactive way to be prepared when this happens is to save copies of all old pages of your site. If you make revisions, then before you change the page, make a copy of it and tuck it way. Then if need be you have a file with a create date and last modified date you can bring out as evidence to establish first use. I have to admit that I'm not the best in the world about doing that myself. LOL

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    I wanted to say thnks to everyone that has helped by posting here, I have lear't so much and will take all these tips and file them for another day!

Thankyou very much

Tamalyn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast