Question AdWords and Amazon
    I am very new to affiliate marketing, and enjoying the lessons so far. I am a bit confused about something. I created an aStore in Amazon to sell a genre of books I enjoy through my website and then created an ad using Google AdWords to drive traffic.

When I review the statistics, Google says I've had (to date) tens of thousands of impressions, but my click through is minimal (less than 1%). But when I review stats on Amazon, it shows the number of clicks to the site even lower. What gives?

Am I a victim of click fraud? Why are the stats so different between the two entities?

Aside from setting up the site, writing the ad and sitting back and waiting for the orders to roll in additional suggestions for driving traffic to my site are appreciated.

This is my first attempt to understand the process and learn, and so this one threw me for a loop!

Thanks!

The clicks that you are seeing in Google are clicks to your web site. The clicks that your Amazon stats show are those visitors that clicked one of your Amazon links after arriving at your site. This will usually be lower since it's hard to imagine 100% of your visitors clicking a link after landing on your page.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Ah, OK, that makes sense. What is a reasonable expected click through rate? Less than 1% seems low by any standard...

It really depends on how targeted your ads, keywords and landing pages are. There are some great threads here on PPC campaigns. Do a search and you'll find tons of info. Pay very close attention to anything on PPC by Donuts.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I think less than 1% CTR is pretty normal unless you have a lot of experience in focusing your ad text and keywords.

The Adwords CTR is driven by the 1) wording of your ad, 2) the positioning of the ad, and 3) the demand for the product.

As others have mentioned,

Your AdWords CTR is a small percentage of ad impressions. 1% is probably not too bad for mainstream products.

Amazon Clicks are a percentage of users driven by the AdWords CTR and other users who find your site.

Your actual sales will be a percentage of the Amazon CTR. On my Amazon sites I find that unit sales are about 10% to 20% of the number of Amazon Clicks.

Given that books are fairly low priced items, you will probably find it to be extraordinarily difficult to make any money selling Amazon books by using AdWords to drive traffic. The cost is prohibitive. Plus, you are competing with AdWords ads for retailers who can afford to bid for higher AdWords placement because they make more money from each sale.

Unless you write unique content for each book you offer, search engine optimization will not work very well either. All of the sites that use Amazon content get wacked by the duplicate content filters that the search engines use. In other words, they will not rank well for very long.
    Last edited by Tech Evangelist; October 30th, 2007 at 08:39 AM.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

You can improve your CTR dramatically if you will create highly targeted ads (I mean 1 keyword - 1 ad) and will choose keywords with little competition and close to subject of your website.

By the way, why did you choose Amazon affiliate program?

Quote Originally Posted by lector
    You can improve your CTR dramatically if you will create highly targeted ads (I mean 1 keyword - 1 ad) and will choose keywords with little competition and close to subject of your website.
    Yes of course, but he is selling books and he is competing with his own affiliate to garner sales.

I have to agree with what Tech Evangelist said, I haven't seen to many people making money selling books exclusively.

Tech Evangelist - Thanks for the detailed info. It's extremely helpful. I was not aware about the filters that weed out the multiple sites that use Amazon engines. Interesting...

I had no reference as to what to expect in terms of CTR from my AdWords campaign. I was thinking that if in "traditional" marketing (direct mail, advertisments in traditional media, 1-3% response is considered good, then expectations from an Internet-based campaign should be higher. But if I understand what you're saying, 1% CTR is acceptable (more is better, of course). My campaign is generating LESS than 1%. I've got work to do.

I'm learning (quickly) that it is very difficult to make money using Amazon books because Amazon pays such a low commission and there is enourmous competition in nearly every genre of book.

Lector - I chose Amazon because this is my first affiliate campaign and the process of getting set up was pretty easy. As I learn how to do things, I plan to move beyond Amazon and seek what appear to be more lucrative opportunities in affiliate marketing.

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far!

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread